Trade rumors

Different rumors being tossed around (almost all surely to be wrong):

MICHAEL GRABNER to the Oilers for a second rounder. A shooter and a top six forward being squeezed out by the youth coming on, a second might be a bit steep but he would fit nicely in Edmonton.

CRAIG ANDERSON for CODY HODGSON . This one makes so much sense for both teams, Buffalo needs a real goalie, Hodgson has regressed and has been in Buffalo's dog house but he has talent and is still young and would fit nicely in Ottawa.

COREY CRAWFORD to the Sharks for a 2nd rounder. It is no secret that San Jose needs a tender and that the Hawks are going to be up against the cap, it makes sense for both. They have been known to make trades before, but is San Jose going to risk taking on another Hawk goalie?

DION PHANEUF TO THE KINGS: This one was going around last year as well, with the Kings unloading Mike Richards contract in return as part of the deal. This one seems to be growing legs every day.....

Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo may be available from the Blues in the right deal. For whatever reason the Blues seem to be wiling to listen to offers for a top blueliner, and T.J. Oshie is available as well. Not sure what the logic is but read it two places.

PHIL KESSEL TO FLORIDA OR WHOEVER....The Leafs would be willing to deal Kessel if the deal was right, or wrong or anywhere in between. The Panthers seem a logical choice, a bevy of young forwards and enticing picks could make it happen with the Leafs eating salary.

RYAN O'REILLY to the Canadiens. The Avalanche want defense in return, they have been in talks with the Canadiens about a possible deal.

Burmistrov is looking more and more likely to be coming back to the Jets this year. Supposedly the Kostitsyn boys want to return to the NHL (the KHL is in financial trouble and star players are looking to play elsewhere) and are looking for a guaranteed deal from someone.

That is it for now, might run this or something like this thru the offseason.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different rumors being tossed around (almost all surely to be wrong):

MICHAEL GRABNER to the Oilers for a second rounder. A shooter and a top six forward being squeezed out by the youth coming on, a second might be a bit steep but he would fit nicely in Edmonton.

CRAIG ANDERSON for CODY HODGSON . This one makes so much sense for both teams, Buffalo needs a real goalie, Hodgson has regressed and has been in Buffalo's dog house but he has talent and is still young and would fit nicely in Ottawa.

COREY CRAWFORD to the Sharks for a 2nd rounder. It is no secret that San Jose needs a tender and that the Hawks are going to be up against the cap, it makes sense for both. They have been known to make trades before, but is San Jose going to risk taking on another Hawk goalie?

DION PHANEUF TO THE KINGS: This one was going around last year as well, with the Kings unloading Mike Richards contract in return as part of the deal. This one seems to be growing legs every day.....

Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo may be available from the Blues in the right deal. For whatever reason the Blues seem to be wiling to listen to offers for a top blueliner, and T.J. Oshie is available as well. Not sure what the logic is but read it two places.

PHIL KESSEL TO FLORIDA OR WHOEVER....The Leafs would be willing to deal Kessel if the deal was right, or wrong or anywhere in between. The Panthers seem a logical choice, a bevy of young forwards and enticing picks could make it happen with the Leafs eating salary.

RYAN O'REILLY to the Canadiens. The Avalanche want defense in return, they have been in talks with the Canadiens about a possible deal.

Burmistrov is looking more and more likely to be coming back to the Jets this year. Supposedly the Kostitsyn boys want to return to the NHL (the KHL is in financial trouble and star players are looking to play elsewhere) and are looking for a guaranteed deal from someone.

That is it for now, might run this or something like this thru the offseason.

Crawford laughs as he refuses to waive his full No movement clause, forcing the hawks to move pieces with limited no trade clauses.

Chicago is so boned by the cap because of Toews and Kane's greed.

@J0e Th0rnton

Holy God, I thought Crawford had a LNMC, with a full no movement unless they give him a ridiculous bonus to get him to waive it, Chicago is screwed.

I have never liked Crawford, his equipment borders on illegal, it is so large, he looks like the stay puff marshmallow man. I always picture the Hawks wheeling him into net and then wheeling him to the locker room between periods because he cannot move. I watched an interview with him about four years ago, he had his equipment on and he was sitting down, his pads were higher than his head. Disgusting. But that is another subject.

Crawford to me is Chris Osgood, on an elite team he simply has to play not to lose, he does not have to steal games, simply keep the team close until the stars take over. He ranks somewhere around 15-18 as far as netminders go. To have given him a full no trade deal is ridiculous. I love Bowman but God knows what he was thinking.

@J0e Th0rnton

Holy God, I thought Crawford had a LNMC, with a full no movement unless they give him a ridiculous bonus to get him to waive it, Chicago is screwed.

I have never liked Crawford, his equipment borders on illegal, it is so large, he looks like the stay puff marshmallow man. I always picture the Hawks wheeling him into net and then wheeling him to the locker room between periods because he cannot move. I watched an interview with him about four years ago, he had his equipment on and he was sitting down, his pads were higher than his head. Disgusting. But that is another subject.

Crawford to me is Chris Osgood, on an elite team he simply has to play not to lose, he does not have to steal games, simply keep the team close until the stars take over. He ranks somewhere around 15-18 as far as netminders go. To have given him a full no trade deal is ridiculous. I love Bowman but God knows what he was thinking.

Yep. Full NMC, and Crawford is likely not going to waive it.

Its kinda funny. His contract to Bickell was considered overpayment back then, and now Hawk fans look at it like the VLC contract.

They were hoping Bickell would have a big playoff to give him a bit of trade value, but he has since driven his trade value down. Not down like rock bottom. Down like to the ocean floor and kept smashing through to the earth's crust.

To get rid of Bickell now and not take salary in return, they are going to have to give away a pick too.

I am happy the Hawks are boned, if only to teach Kane and Toews a lesson in greed. This year is really their last chance for a long time. Those contracts handcuff the team. It is worse than 2010. MUCH worse. At least in 2010, they were able to donate Huet to the swiss league to lose his cap hit and give Campbell away free to Florida.

I think they move Sharp with little problem, but are still boned. Look at their defense right now. Picture the same next year minus Oduya because they cannot afford him + 2 more rookies.

Uh, Phil Kessel was in the top-8 in scoring for three straight years, and still had a 25 goal, 61 point season last year.  

Toronto will not have to be "eating" even one bite of his salary, if they want to trade him.  There will be some seriously interested teams out there.

Uh, Phil Kessel was in the top-8 in scoring for three straight years, and still had a 25 goal, 61 point season last year.  

Toronto will not have to be "eating" even one bite of his salary, if they want to trade him.  There will be some seriously interested teams out there.

Yawn, okay.

Leaf fans have been blasting Kessel and Phaneuf for the past three years, blaming the two of them for everything that has gone wrong in the world since the death of Christ but as soon as you say they are going to have to eat salary or trade them for eighty cents on the dollar they start screaming like the pair of them are Dave Keon and Tim Horton. (In case you are not old enough to get the reference, they were the last two superstars to actually lead the Leafs anywhere except the toilet. Probably before your time).

Yawn, okay.

Leaf fans have been blasting Kessel and Phaneuf for the past three years, blaming the two of them for everything that has gone wrong in the world since the death of Christ but as soon as you say they are going to have to eat salary or trade them for eighty cents on the dollar they start screaming like the pair of them are Dave Keon and Tim Horton. (In case you are not old enough to get the reference, they were the last two superstars to actually lead the Leafs anywhere except the toilet. Probably before your time).

Yeah, it does get kind of hilarious.

Go into a leaf thread during game day. "OMG, Freaking $%#&* Kessel won't hold the puck if someone if going after him and plays so damn soft. Will he ever score an ES goal again???? Ship him. SHip him NOW SHANAHAN NOW WHILE HE STILL HAS A SEMBLANCE OF VALUE"

Skip to trade section. "Kessel for Filip Forsberg, Seth Jones and a 1st? He is one of the best offensive players in the league! Preds get one of the best proven scorers in the league and leaf get a jumpstart on their rebuild!"

Then Preds fans laugh hysterically, saying Kessel is worth "Pontus Aberg, Jack Dougherty and a 2nd if you retain 2 million"

Yawn, okay.

Meh.  I agree that with Phaneuf, they'd have to eat some salary.......probably a fair bit.  

But 8 million for 7 more years, for a 27 year old guy who will score 35 goals and get 80+ points a year is not an overpayment.  Just wait & see.  Someone will want Kessel, and will pay the full salary.

Yeah, it does get kind of hilarious.

Go into a leaf thread during game day. "OMG, Freaking $%#&* Kessel won't hold the puck if someone if going after him and plays so damn soft. Will he ever score an ES goal again???? Ship him. SHip him NOW SHANAHAN NOW WHILE HE STILL HAS A SEMBLANCE OF VALUE"

Skip to trade section. "Kessel for Filip Forsberg, Seth Jones and a 1st? He is one of the best offensive players in the league! Preds get one of the best proven scorers in the league and leaf get a jumpstart on their rebuild!"

Then Preds fans laugh hysterically, saying Kessel is worth "Pontus Aberg, Jack Dougherty and a 2nd if you retain 2 million"

That would be a whole lot funnier if it were not true. The wife just read your post (a closet Leaf fan) and even she is giggling.

Meh.  I agree that with Phaneuf, they'd have to eat some salary.......probably a fair bit.  

But 8 million for 7 more years, for a 27 year old guy who will score 35 goals and get 80+ points a year is not an overpayment.  Just wait & see.  Someone will want Kessel, and will pay the full salary.

So someone willing to pay this guy eight million dollars a year, with the Leafs retaining zero salary, you aren't expecting anything back in return are you? Seriously, just getting out from under that massive contract should be enough to be its own reward. So if someone offered you a second and a middling prospect and agreed to eat the whole deal, do you take it? Or like Joe pointed out, do you believe that someone should eat the whole deal and offer up a Huberdeau and Ekblad to boot? Just asking so I know what I am debating here......

If you think kessel is going to score 35/80 for 7 more years you're only fooling yourself. The guy will be lucky to tie his own shoes in 4 years.

Dude, Kessel is an out of shape butterball, who could be so much more if he put some emphasis on physical fitness and wasn't such a beta male when it comes to taking a hit to make a play.

giphy.gif

Historically, forwards goal and point totals go DOWN around the age he is at. Some select few fall slowly, like a feather because their skill set is less reliant on attributes like skating and more on vision and they stay in top physical shape, and many fall off a cliff. He just had his worst season since he was 21 and is turning 28 in October on THE FIRST YEAR of an 8 year, 8 million dollar cap hit contract. Your body breaks down faster if you do not keep it in shape, and he is a very real threat to become one of those guys.

That will factor into any trade talk. LA is regretting Mike Richards like hell right now, and teams are going to be extra careful not to be stuck with that type of deal.

If you think kessel is going to score 35/80 for 7 more years you're only fooling yourself. The guy will be lucky to tie his own shoes in 4 years.

Definitely true.

Phil Kessel's diet during his entry level years

091009_kessel.jpg

Kessel's diet after he became a millionaire.

Bx5HZx8IYAAH80x.jpg

Look at the goddamn blubber on this guy's hips and the chubb in his cheeks. And to top it off, he has titties.

He looks like he ATE Phil Kessel.

@yave1964

@flyercanuck@Holymakinaw

So someone willing to pay this guy eight million dollars a year, with the Leafs retaining zero salary, you aren't expecting anything back in return are you? Seriously, just getting out from under that massive contract should be enough to be its own reward. So if someone offered you a second and a middling prospect and agreed to eat the whole deal, do you take it? Or like Joe pointed out, do you believe that someone should eat the whole deal and offer up a Huberdeau and Ekblad to boot? Just asking so I know what I am debating here......

We got an "okay" prospect, a 1st and a 2nd for Thomas Kaberle.  

We can easily get that or better for Phil Kessel.  Some NHL player with a salary may come back, but the Leafs won't have to "eat" any of Kessel's salary to move him.  He has his faults, for sure.  But name all the players who have scored more goals and points than him over the last 5 years.  It's a SMALL list.  

There are definitely teams that will covet him.

We got an "okay" prospect, a 1st and a 2nd for Thomas Kaberle.  

We can easily get that or better for Phil Kessel.  Some NHL player with a salary may come back, but the Leafs won't have to "eat" any of Kessel's salary to move him.  He has his faults, for sure.  But name all the players who have scored more goals and points than him over the last 5 years.  It's a SMALL list.  

There are definitely teams that will covet him.

Kaberle was still a near 50 point Defenseman being bought as a rental by a team making a push for the cup, on a bargain salary of 4.25 million.

Typically, rentals garner less than people with a few years on their contract yes. However, the OPPOSITE effect is in place for Kessel. Teams are terrified of taking contracts that long for that amount now. The Mike Richards probability is very strong in this contract. In fact, even if the leafs retain 2 million a year, the Mike Richards probability is still very strong

Kaberle was still a near 50 point Defenseman being bought as a rental by a team making a push for the cup, on a bargain salary of 4.25 million.

Typically, rentals garner less than people with a few years on their contract yes. However, the OPPOSITE effect is in place for Kessel. Teams are terrified of taking contracts that long for that amount now. The Mike Richards probability is very strong in this contract. In fact, even if the leafs retain 2 million a year, the Mike Richards probability is still very strong

Kaberle was also 33 when he went to Boston.  Kessel is only 27.  Just a slight, massive difference.

:)

Kaberle was also 33 when he went to Boston.  Kessel is only 27.  Just a slight, massive difference.

And sorry, but you have no idea what teams are "terrified", or not "terrified" of.  

Unless you are a real NHL GM, posing as a regular poster.....?

Kaberle was a rental at the end of his contract.

Stop saying "he is only 27". He is 28 starting next season. The trademark year forwards decline. Fat out of shape ones decline much sharper. I have seen it happen to a much younger guy named Setoguchi.

Kessel is a guy who just showed his worst performance since age 21 on the first year of his lucrative deal with 7 years to go and is likely to get worse going forward. Mike Richards 2.0 in 2 years. Nobody wants it without great retention and certainly nobody is going to pay bigtime for it.

@Holymakinaw

Okay, gonna run one past you. The Arizona, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Team formerly known as the first Winnipeg Jets Coyotes.

They are a team with a butt load of cap room and a need for a marketable player.

The Leafs, in spite of your slanted view, are not in a position of strength with Kessel. Keep in mind, I like the guy and feel he would be an asset. But eight million a year to a fat winger for the next seven years? Nonis should not have been fired, he should have been flogged.

Now let us say that Maloney expresses interest, if you are Shanny, do you:

Jut out your chin, demand a top draft pick and Domi or Samuelsson or Duclair and risk offending the one team that seems the most natural fit to take Kessel and his massive contract off your hands?

Or do you simply ask what the Coyotes are willing to do, bite the bullet and move on? Freeing up 8 million a year for seven years with Babs and Shanny running the show and know that they could spend it wiser?

I know what I would do.

Of course teams would want Kessel. At best, I think the Leafs might hope for 60 or 70 cents on the dollar in return and just look at the cap savings as the true equity back.

Incorrect!

GM's tend to look at how much of a cap hit a guy will be and average effectiveness as players age. It is simple fact that the best offensive numbers tend to come between age 24-27 and that most fall off from there. Kessel is being paid like he will be in his prime for 7 more years, when in fact, we have already seen the beginning of his decline with his worst season this year.

Mike Richards 2.0

The kings reportedly offered to retain 30% AND give someone a pick just to take his contract and nobody would do it. That is the future of Kessel. The best the leafs can hope for is for him to have a slight bounceback year and quickly trade him while his value is high.

@Holymakinaw

Okay, gonna run one past you. The Arizona, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Team formerly known as the first Winnipeg Jets Coyotes.

They are a team with a butt load of cap room and a need for a marketable player.

The Leafs, in spite of your slanted view, are not in a position of strength with Kessel. Keep in mind, I like the guy and feel he would be an asset. But eight million a year to a fat winger for the next seven years? Nonis should not have been fired, he should have been flogged.

Now let us say that Maloney expresses interest, if you are Shanny, do you:

Jut out your chin, demand a top draft pick and Domi or Samuelsson or Duclair and risk offending the one team that seems the most natural fit to take Kessel and his massive contract off your hands?

Or do you simply ask what the Coyotes are willing to do, bite the bullet and move on? Freeing up 8 million a year for seven years with Babs and Shanny running the show and know that they could spend it wiser?

I know what I would do.

Of course teams would want Kessel. At best, I think the Leafs might hope for 60 or 70 cents on the dollar in return and just look at the cap savings as the true equity back.

BTW do you drive a Lumina and love to eat Halibut at Applebees? I think a relative of yours may be posting in here.

LOL.  You guys are the ones with "slanted" views, regarding Kessel, and it's slanted BADLY.  Sure, he's a bit of a one dimensional forward, but that dimension he has is ELITE.

Ovechkin = 206 goals

Stamkos = 202 goals

Perry = 178 goals

Kessel = 151 goals
Nash = 151 goals
Tavares = 150 goals
Kane = 129 goals

Malkin = 125 goals

Crosby = 119 goals

Only three guys in the entire NHL have scored more goals than Kessel in the last 5 years.  He also has 339 points over that time, which is good enough for top-10......over the last 5 years.  Not just last year's performance is noted......FIVE YEARS.  He may be what you call "fat" but he's dominated most scorers as that "fatty".

Some teams are out there with cap space, or plans for cap space, and will be jumping at the chance to add a scorer like him.  7 years isn't that bad when you'll only be 35 when it's all over.  Guys play until they're 40 all the time these days.  And in a few years, 8 million is CHEAP for a consistent top-4 goal scorer, and top-8 point getter in the NHL.

LOL. You guys are the ones with "slanted" views, regarding Kessel, and it's slanted BADLY. Sure, he's a bit of a one dimensional forward, but that dimension he has is ELITE.

Ovechkin = 206 goals

Stamkos = 202 goals

Perry = 178 goals

Kessel = 151 goals

Nash = 151 goals

Tavares = 150 goals

Kane = 129 goals

Malkin = 125 goals

Crosby = 119 goals

Only three guys in the entire NHL have scored more goals than Kessel in the last 5 years. He also has 339 points over that time, which is good enough for top-10......over the last 5 years. Not just last year's performance is noted......FIVE YEARS. He may be what you call "fat" but he's dominated most scorers as that "fatty".

Some teams are out there with cap space, or plans for cap space, and will be jumping at the chance to add a scorer like him. 7 years isn't that bad when you'll only be 35 when it's all over. Guys play until they're 40 all the time these days. And in a few years, 8 million is CHEAP for a consistent top-4 goal scorer, and top-8 point getter in the NHL.

He's also minus a bazillion. They might as well stop counting.

Archived