We need a new forward, so who should it be?

ScottM

1297664443225_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

It's no secret that Ottawa needs a bit more depth at forward. Without shifting someone from the right side, the Sens are woefully thin at left wing. Bryan Murray has stated that one of his goals in the off-season is to add a top six forward to the roster. It's going to have to happen. Even with the multiple breakout seasons we had this year, we're short up top on forward, plain and simple.

Two questions then: 1)Who do we go for? Personally, I'd like to bring in a veteran who still has a bit left in the tank. We have plenty of youth, and bringing in a guy that has been around the block a few times and can make sure the youngsters stay settled would be great. But who? We're not going to get that on the free agent market this year. It's obvious that we'll have to trade for it. But getting it might mean taking on a big salary. We'd have to look at ways of minimizing that impact.

Question number two: Assuming we have to trade for a top forward, what do we give up? Draft picks seem like the obvious answer, but we will have to move a goalie, so, is there a way to kill two birds with one stone? I don't know what we could get for Anderson, other than a draft pick, since he's 34 himself, but what about Lehner? Will there be a team out there that believes in him enough to discount the decline of the last couple of years to something akin to a sophomore slump that he'll rebound from? If so, will there be anyone that needs to unload a forward that also needs a goalie? If there is, what about the cap hit again?

@ScottM

You could always go after Matt Beleskey. As a UFA you may have to outbid other teams, but it won't cost you any assets.

But will Beleskey be a true top six guy? This season was the highest scoring of his career, but he had just 32 points in 66 games. To me, he looks like more of what we already have in MacArthur and Michalek. It really looks like slim pickings in free agency.

Read two places today that Anderson to the Sabres for Cody Hodgson is at the very least being tossed about.

I love Hodgson, a lot. He came to Buffalo for Kassian at the deadline a few years ago and looked to be a top six forward but then got lost, moved from center to wing and back and forth and up and down the lines, I respect Nolan as a coach but he damn near ruined the kid. He seems to be the very definition of low risk, high reward to a team that could get him out of Buffalo.

In Ottawa I could see him either 2nd or 3rd line center (depending upon the play of Zibinejad) or even a top six wing. He is versatile and has 50-60 points written all over him in the right situation. Plus, he is cheaper than Anderson freeing up cap space to make a move for additional help.

Read two places today that Anderson to the Sabres for Cody Hodgson is at the very least being tossed about.

I love Hodgson, a lot. He came to Buffalo for Kassian at the deadline a few years ago and looked to be a top six forward but then got lost, moved from center to wing and back and forth and up and down the lines, I respect Nolan as a coach but he damn near ruined the kid. He seems to be the very definition of low risk, high reward to a team that could get him out of Buffalo.

In Ottawa I could see him either 2nd or 3rd line center (depending upon the play of Zibinejad) or even a top six wing. He is versatile and has 50-60 points written all over him in the right situation. Plus, he is cheaper than Anderson freeing up cap space to make a move for additional help.

Yeah, he was in a mess this year. I'd like that deal a lot if it weren't for the fact that Lehner scares the mess out of me. Sadly, as much as I don't want to see Anderson go right now, it looks more and more like we're going to have to hope that Lehner does rebound. I think if we keep Lehner, Hammond will be the number one guy, but I think we'll need some significant playing time out of Lehner. I wouldn't want to throw Hammond into a situation where he has to go 65-70 games.

But anyway, that trade would free up about $1.5 million. It gives a bit more breathing room. And actually, that trade, and then signing Beleskey as @flyercanuck suggested might not be a bad one-two if that ends up being the goalie decision. You may get two top-nine guys in that case.

@ScottM

Belesky and Hodgson give the Sabres two top nine guys, young with enormous skill.

Both have lived in the coaches dog house much of the year, Belesky has put up good solid numbers but keeps getting replaced and bumped down the lines until he forces his way up. He has a reputation for being a tad lazy but give me a skilled player who is lazy over a talentless player who hustles. You can always find a way to light a fire under a good skilled player. Threatening his playing time as Boudreau has done with Belesky seems to have worked wonders. He now is considered a force in front of the net. Would be a good pickup but like Hodgson, not a sure thing.

1297664443225_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

It's no secret that Ottawa needs a bit more depth at forward. Without shifting someone from the right side, the Sens are woefully thin at left wing. Bryan Murray has stated that one of his goals in the off-season is to add a top six forward to the roster. It's going to have to happen. Even with the multiple breakout seasons we had this year, we're short up top on forward, plain and simple.

Two questions then: 1)Who do we go for? Personally, I'd like to bring in a veteran who still has a bit left in the tank. We have plenty of youth, and bringing in a guy that has been around the block a few times and can make sure the youngsters stay settled would be great. But who? We're not going to get that on the free agent market this year. It's obvious that we'll have to trade for it. But getting it might mean taking on a big salary. We'd have to look at ways of minimizing that impact.

Question number two: Assuming we have to trade for a top forward, what do we give up? Draft picks seem like the obvious answer, but we will have to move a goalie, so, is there a way to kill two birds with one stone? I don't know what we could get for Anderson, other than a draft pick, since he's 34 himself, but what about Lehner? Will there be a team out there that believes in him enough to discount the decline of the last couple of years to something akin to a sophomore slump that he'll rebound from? If so, will there be anyone that needs to unload a forward that also needs a goalie? If there is, what about the cap hit again?

Well, after his 2015-16 year with Florida...

@yave1964 This is how I'd forsee it: Hodgson second line left wing, freeing up Condra to stay on the right. We're set at right wing. Hodgson, as you said can shift back to center if needed, but I'm playing him as a wing as much as possible. Now, you have MacArthur, Michalek, and Beleskey for 3rd and 4th lines. I'd tend to expect Michalek to be the odd mash out, depending on MacArthur's health. Any way that shakes out, we're far more solid. Plus, Cameron proved he's not above threatening or even taking playing time since he demoted Hoffman to the fourth line.

Patrick Sharp's days in Chicago may be coming to an end.

Patrick Sharp's days in Chicago may be coming to an end.

That wouldn't be bad, but I'd be worried about $$$$$. Lol. He's really pulling in some coin right now.

@JackStraw

A unique thing about (domesticated) sheep - and this might explain a few things - is that they are neotenic, which means that adult sheep retain certain traits of young sheep.  

Not that I in any way wish to imply that I in any way approve of your perversions, but the same is said about domestic dogs- that they retain traits of young wolves.

You're still a sick-o though.

Not that I in any way wish to imply that I in any way approve of your perversions, but the same is said about domestic dogs- that they retain traits of young wolves.

You're still a sick-o though.

Forgive me for ever mentioning a particular four-legged animal. I'll do my best to never repeat said failure.

You know, it just occurred to me: I've been here for several months now, and I'm still learning disturbing facts about my fellow inmates in this insane asylum.

Archived