Most underated players in Hockey

yave1964

mkSZnVCeQjZ5eOr0vjyc2Bw.jpg What defines underrated? Is it a fourth liner like Nate Thompson who does the little things or a goalie like Mason who keeps his team in most games and gets little pub? Or a star player who takes the blame because his team is not as good as he wants it to be? Or all of the above?

Well here is my list of first and second team All underrated teams. Feel free to pipe up with your own.

FIRST TEAM

CENTER: Mike Ribiero. First off, I cannot stand him as a person and wouldn't want him mixing my wife a drink at a party or let my daughter babysit his kids, but the sucker can dish the puck with the absolute best of them.

WINGS:

Jiri Hudler. Hudler was 8th in the league in scoring yet toiled in Calgary without notice.

Jordan Eberle. 63 points, 28 goals, not all Oiler first rounders have bombed.

DEFENSE:

Dennis Wideman. Giordano gets all of the props, but Wideman was 4th among all d-men in scoring with 56 points.

Beauchemin. The heart of the Ducks defense, he nearly ruined his career a few years ago signing with the Leafs but his homecoming to Anaheim has been wonderful, tutoring the brilliant young kids, allowing them to get the credit while he plays flawless defense.

GOALIE:

M.A. Fleury. miUKtmHdo61oOXzWteumvsA.jpgOkay, here is when I make everyone mad. He is denigrated because the Penguins do not win, but in truth there is not a more consistent goalie in the game, 5 years in a row with a .GAA in the 2.30's has averaged 38 wins a year over the past six seasons (not including the strike shortened one where he went 23-8). Has won a cup, goaltended another team that went to the finals. His failures in a few postseasons have given him an unfair rep as a failure, in truth he is a solid goalie who easily could win several more cups and is capable of even carrying his team to the finals.

SECOND TEAM

CENTER: Nick Bjugstad. Gets zero props but the big boy can dangle the puck with the best of them or crush an opponent with a shoulder on an open ice hit. Eventually the Panthers will be relevant and he is a big part of that.

WINGS:

Radim Vrbata. Hard hitting winger who scored 31 goals last year, like Hudler gets no credit.

Leo Komarov. Bouncing between center and Wing was 2nd in the league in hits when he missed time to a concussion. High motor, never quits, can score a bit, hits everything. His return from the KHL solidified the Leafs lower lines before he was hurt and the wheels fell off.

DEFENSE:

Trevor Daley. 5th in the league among blueliners with 16 goals. Nobody noticed because the Stars defense was otherwise awful.

Andrei Markov. 10 goals, 50 points, power play God, Subban gets all the props, Markov, injury proned for years has reestablished himself as one of the top number two d-men in the game while Subban toots his horn, Markov quietly goes about his business.

GOALIE:

Jaroslav Halak. All he does is win, missed most of 12-13, other than that his past three seasons he has went 93-42-15. At one point he outplayed Carey Price and wrestled the job away from him before Halak was shipped to the Blues. The man quietly wins everywhere he goes. It is no accident the Isles are relevant for the first time in nearly 30 years the first year with Halak in net.

I considered some others, Mason in net, Ennis and Jaden Schwartz at forward, but this is my list. Feel free to offer thoughts and comments.

Tyler Johnson. 

Mark Stone

Bryan Little

Roman Josi

Absolutely would have agreed with Johnson going into the postseason but now he is like Norm at Cheers, everybody knows his name.

Brian Little absolutely deserves consideration, I seriously thought of him before going with Ribiero at center.

1)Mark Stone

2)Monahan

3)Tyson Barrie

4)Kevin Hayes

5)Bjugstad

6)Matthieu Perreault

7)Charlie Coyle

8)Hampus Lindholm

9)Mike Santorelli (Leafs version, not the Preds)

10)DeKeyser

11)Ryan White
12)Jason Zucker

13)Jacob Trouba

mkSZnVCeQjZ5eOr0vjyc2Bw.jpg What defines underrated? Is it a fourth liner like Nate Thompson who does the little things or a goalie like Mason who keeps his team in most games and gets little pub? Or a star player who takes the blame because his team is not as good as he wants it to be? Or all of the above?

Well here is my list of first and second team All underrated teams. Feel free to pipe up with your own.

FIRST TEAM

CENTER: Mike Ribiero. First off, I cannot stand him as a person and wouldn't want him mixing my wife a drink at a party or let my daughter babysit his kids, but the sucker can dish the puck with the absolute best of them.

WINGS:

Jiri Hudler. Hudler was 8th in the league in scoring yet toiled in Calgary without notice.

Jordan Eberle. 63 points, 28 goals, not all Oiler first rounders have bombed.

DEFENSE:

Dennis Wideman. Giordano gets all of the props, but Wideman was 4th among all d-men in scoring with 56 points.

Beauchemin. The heart of the Ducks defense, he nearly ruined his career a few years ago signing with the Leafs but his homecoming to Anaheim has been wonderful, tutoring the brilliant young kids, allowing them to get the credit while he plays flawless defense.

GOALIE:

M.A. Fleury. miUKtmHdo61oOXzWteumvsA.jpgOkay, here is when I make everyone mad. He is denigrated because the Penguins do not win, but in truth there is not a more consistent goalie in the game, 5 years in a row with a .GAA in the 2.30's has averaged 38 wins a year over the past six seasons (not including the strike shortened one where he went 23-8). Has won a cup, goaltended another team that went to the finals. His failures in a few postseasons have given him an unfair rep as a failure, in truth he is a solid goalie who easily could win several more cups and is capable of even carrying his team to the finals.

SECOND TEAM

CENTER: Nick Bjugstad. Gets zero props but the big boy can dangle the puck with the best of them or crush an opponent with a shoulder on an open ice hit. Eventually the Panthers will be relevant and he is a big part of that.

WINGS:

Radim Vrbata. Hard hitting winger who scored 31 goals last year, like Hudler gets no credit.

Leo Komarov. Bouncing between center and Wing was 2nd in the league in hits when he missed time to a concussion. High motor, never quits, can score a bit, hits everything. His return from the KHL solidified the Leafs lower lines before he was hurt and the wheels fell off.

DEFENSE:

Trevor Daley. 5th in the league among blueliners with 16 goals. Nobody noticed because the Stars defense was otherwise awful.

Andrei Markov. 10 goals, 50 points, power play God, Subban gets all the props, Markov, injury proned for years has reestablished himself as one of the top number two d-men in the game while Subban toots his horn, Markov quietly goes about his business.

GOALIE:

Jaroslav Halak. All he does is win, missed most of 12-13, other than that his past three seasons he has went 93-42-15. At one point he outplayed Carey Price and wrestled the job away from him before Halak was shipped to the Blues. The man quietly wins everywhere he goes. It is no accident the Isles are relevant for the first time in nearly 30 years the first year with Halak in net.

I considered some others, Mason in net, Ennis and Jaden Schwartz at forward, but this is my list. Feel free to offer thoughts and comments.

I don't think he is underrated anymore hehe.

We see Florida's improvement and what Tallon is doing for that franchise. I personally love the kid

Danny Markov? He doesn't even play in the NHL anymore...

I think he meant Andrei :)

And I don't think he is underrated. People were making UFA threads for him trying to hope Montreal did not resign him for years. He was made of glass for 3 years though and it affected perceptions of him. That and his age. He turns 37 this season and has definitely lost a step. Damn good passer though. Subban's totals are going to miss him when they have to replace him

@jammer2

Forgot about Perreault, absolutely deserves consideration for this list. Underrated him, lol. @J0e Th0rnton what you said about Subban's numbers going to take a hit when Markov retires was kind of my point, Subban gets all the ink but a good portion of what makes Subban who he is is his defensive partner who quietly stays in the background while Subban runs his yap.

Archived