Canucks Waiting for the Dominoes to Fall

ScottM

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/20/benning-canucks-waiting-for-the-domino-effect-in-goalie-market/

The Canucks have no picks in the second or third round, and are interested in trading a goalie to remedy that. Instead of being proactive, they're taking more of a "wait and see" approach. What do you think of their plan? Personally, I think I'd try to shop one of those guys around and see who I could work the best deal out of instead of waiting around and hoping something falls to me.

@ScottM

I would be aggressive if I were the Canucks or any other club in need of dealing a 'tender. Too many sellers, not enough buyers. Is someone offers a third for either Lack or Markstrom, neither a top tier guy, I say jump on it and move on. No way do I want to be the last team with 3 goalies when the music stops.

I just read on CBC Sports that Philly is a likely destination for Eddie Lack. Has anyone else heard this?

Flyers need a backup. Cant see them trading for one when there are UFA goalies available.

So, the Canucks mortgaged the future to Luongo, and then threw Luongo over the side for Lack.

Then they soured on Lack and threw big money at Miller.

Then they ditched Miller in the playoffs for Lack.

And now they want to trade either or both of them.

This, my friends, is what passes for "management" in the National Hockey League.

Amazing.

:huh:

Flyers need a backup. Cant see them trading for one when there are UFA goalies available.

I don't think they get a UFA goalie for cheaper than Lack.   $1.3M with one remaining year.

My issue is what they give up.  If Vancouver wants some steep return, no way.  If they'll do it for Grossman I'd consider it.

Could there be an agreement between the TV networks covering the draft, and the league about holding off on announcing trades until the draft, thus making draft day better TV? It just seems Lack and Talbot could have been traded already.

Could there be an agreement between the TV networks covering the draft, and the league about holding off on announcing trades until the draft, thus making draft day better TV? It just seems Lack and Talbot could have been traded already.

Possibly.  But I think Twitter and other social media would already have it regardless.  I haven't been watching today, but I've seen nothing.

It just seems Lack and Talbot could have been traded already.

More plausibly, the Dubnyk Situation is delaying decisions on what the market is for goaltenders.

Nobody needs to make a move rightnow.  There are still a lot of goalies in play.

I do expect a lot of dominoes to fall quickly once a few situations become more clear.

More plausibly, the Dubnyk Situation is delaying decisions on what the market is for goaltenders.

Nobody needs to make a move rightnow.  There are still a lot of goalies in play.

I do expect a lot of dominoes to fall quickly once a few situations become more clear.

Okay, sounds good. Friday just might be the most interesting draft in some time, if all the movement of players comes happens?

Flyers have the last pick in the second round... :hocky:

Yeah you guys might be bringing up the rear on a trade proposal then......i guess it really depends when Talbot gets dealt, then maybe the goalie dominos will start fall huh? Still can't believe Sather turned down two 2nd rders for him, he's driving a hard bargain probably wants a young forward on top of a 2nd rder.

i guess it really depends when Talbot gets dealt, then maybe the goalie dominos will start fall huh? Still can't believe Sather turned down two 2nd rders for him, he's driving a hard bargain probably wants a young forward on top of a 2nd rder.

I think a lot has to do with Dubnyk, actually.

If the Wild don't sign him, they will need a goalie and pretty much will need to be willing to pay top price to get one. Teams that need a goalie can also wait to see if Dubnyk becomes available as a UFA before needing to part with assets to acquire a Talbot or one of Ottawa's..

This isn't because I think Dubnyk is some sort of wundergoalie - far from it; I think whoever overpays Dubnyk is making a huge mistake. But a lot of GMs seem overcome with the "oooh, shiny!" nature of Dubnyk and will overlook the rest of his career based upon his last three months with the Wild. They will then sign him to a lengthy, high-priced deal and be looking to get rid of him within 2-3 years. It's called "Luongo Syndrome" or "The Bryzgalov Effect."

I also don't think many GMs want to be the first guy to trade away a goalie for fear that the price then goes up on the remaining available assets. (Yeah, I think Sather should have taken the 2 2nds, too...)

Yeah you guys might be bringing up the rear on a trade proposal then......i guess it really depends when Talbot gets dealt, then maybe the goalie dominos will start fall huh? Still can't believe Sather turned down two 2nd rders for him, he's driving a hard bargain probably wants a young forward on top of a 2nd rder.

The two seconds might be later in the round, or one this year and one next year.  I guess Sather thinks he can get more on the draft floor. 

So, the Canucks mortgaged the future to Luongo, and then threw Luongo over the side for Lack.

Then they soured on Lack and threw big money at Miller.

Then they ditched Miller in the playoffs for Lack.

And now they want to trade either or both of them.

This, my friends, is what passes for "management" in the National Hockey League.

Amazing.

:huh:

Yes, and I thought Holmgren was a bad GM. 

Yes, and I thought Holmgren was a bad GM.

Let's not get into the whole Bryzgalov Situation or watching your 2010 Finals opponent win three Cups while your team misses the playoffs two of the past three years...

:ph34r:

I just read on CBC Sports that Philly is a likely destination for Eddie Lack. Has anyone else heard this?

I wonder what the asking price would be?  Vancouver could use some help on defense, maybe something like MacDonald or Grossman for Lack?  

Interesting ... I'd like that trade.

I wonder what the asking price would be? Vancouver could use some help on defense, maybe something like MacDonald or Grossman for Lack?

Yeah, I mean, if that's what we're talking about do it. But can Vancouver possibly be that foolish? The evidence says yes to me. They have utterly screwed up their goaltending for years. Why stop now?

I would definitely do it for Grossman or MacDonald. I still think you might get better for Schenn.

Yeah, do it.

No picks better than fourth round, though.

I guess you could be right, i just feel Dubnyk will resign with the Wild b/c he's most valuable to them. 

Right, but until he does there is the chance he might be available on the open market. There's nothing pressing on teams to make a deal rightnow. But that could change by the weekend at the draft.

Could be a Very Interesting draft.

I wonder what the asking price would be?  Vancouver could use some help on defense, maybe something like MacDonald or Grossman for Lack?  

Nucks don't have cap space for a deal like that though.

You will have to pay someone to take MacDonald lol.

Archived