Sharks sign Paul Martin

Sjsharknado

Doug Wilson has continued to bolster the defense by signing 34 year old Paul Martin to a four year deal. He will most likely slide in beside youngster Mirco Mueller or Brent Burns (though Burns' best performances have been beside Dillon).

As of right now the projected d-core for the 2015-16 San Jose Sharks:

Vlasic-Braun

Dillon-Burns

Mueller-Martin

Wilson is still suspected to be in on another d-man or a top-9 forward. The Sharks still have work to do, but this is a good start to free agency for San Jose.

Doug Wilson has continued to bolster the defense by signing 34 year old Paul Martin to a four year deal. He will most likely slide in beside youngster Mirco Mueller or Brent Burns (though Burns' best performances have been beside Dillon).

As of right now the projected d-core for the 2015-16 San Jose Sharks:

Vlasic-Braun

Dillon-Burns

Mueller-Martin

Wilson is still suspected to be in on another d-man or a top-9 forward. The Sharks still have work to do, but this is a good start to free agency for San Jose.

Agreed. I was hoping the AAV would be a bit smaller since we gave him 4 years, but he is a smart two way Dman, and skates well. Can play all situations and play on either side.

And we still have 6+ million in space

@Sjsharknado@J0e Th0rnton

Still a few F/A's still available,

Ehrhoff

Oduya

Franson

Zidlicky

All with Obvious holes in their games. Oduya is kind of a poor mans Martin, not a lot of offense. The other three can all provide offense but have other holes in their game. Unless you pursue a trade.....

@Sjsharknado@J0e Th0rnton

Still a few F/A's still available,

Ehrhoff

Oduya

Franson

Zidlicky

All with Obvious holes in their games. Oduya is kind of a poor mans Martin, not a lot of offense. The other three can all provide offense but have other holes in their game. Unless you pursue a trade.....

Ehrhoff was kinda pissed he signed a hometown discount with Wilson only to be shipped for absolutely nothing(Literally. We gave him away for cap space to get Heatley and then he hit his prime)

Oduya? No thanks

Franson? Mega no thanks. He wants term from what I hear and nobody is biting.

Zidlicky? Maybe. If he will take a 1 or two year deal, sure! Would let us keep Mueller in the AHL a full year to get top pair minutes there.

The fact is, with Roy in the system, I don't want a righty for much more than 2 years unless we decide to sell high on Braun(Who is Vlasic lite). Roy could very well be better than Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski. But scouts hate Dmen from the Q. Every time Sherbrook played the Moose, this guy stole the show more than Ehlers. He has that "It" factor like a Keith and Doughty.

For now, one of our lefty Dmen will be playing right unless we get another righty

Vlasic/Braun

Martin/Burns

Dillon/

Mueller/Tennyson?

Zidlicky did get 20+ minutes a night under Deboer in Jersey(23 minutes a night the year they went to the finals in the playoffs). He knows his system.

Overall, I am excited for this season already.

Ehrhoff was kinda pissed he signed a hometown discount with Wilson only to be shipped for absolutely nothing(Literally. We gave him away for cap space to get Heatley and then he hit his prime)

Oduya? No thanks

Franson? Mega no thanks. He wants term from what I hear and nobody is biting.

Zidlicky? Maybe. If he will take a 1 or two year deal, sure! Would let us keep Mueller in the AHL a full year to get top pair minutes there.

The fact is, with Roy in the system, I don't want a righty for much more than 2 years unless we decide to sell high on Braun(Who is Vlasic lite). Roy could very well be better than Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski. But scouts hate Dmen from the Q. Every time Sherbrook played the Moose, this guy stole the show more than Ehlers. He has that "It" factor like a Keith and Doughty.

For now, one of our lefty Dmen will be playing right unless we get another righty

Vlasic/Braun

Martin/Burns

Dillon/

Mueller/Tennyson?

Zidlicky did get 20+ minutes a night under Deboer in Jersey(23 minutes a night the year they went to the finals in the playoffs). He knows his system.

Overall, I am excited for this season already.

Zidlicky would be a good fit, I was really hoping the Wings would resign him, I thought Green would get a five or six year contract and wanted no part of that. Zids played very well with Detroit and has a heck of a shot. He is small and gets pushed around a bit but paired with the right partner he is very capable. Of what is left, he is absolutely the one I would go for unless Franson adjusts it down to a three year deal which would change my opinion.

Agreed. I was hoping the AAV would be a bit smaller since we gave him 4 years, but he is a smart two way Dman, and skates well. Can play all situations and play on either side.

And we still have 6+ million in space

he is 34 right now! He may lose a step by the time this contract is up!

@Sjsharknado  I just think that is to long a contract for a 34 year old last pairing guy....one, maybe two years tops is all that was needed. Better hope the new CBA is due before this contract ends....get out of jail free card coming up!!

@Sjsharknado  I just think that is to long a contract for a 34 year old last pairing guy....one, maybe two years tops is all that was needed. Better hope the new CBA is due before this contract ends....get out of jail free card coming up!!

Last pairing?

He was top pairing on the pens and most pens fans praise the heck out of him, saying he made life way better for Letang. We hope he does the same with Burns. Deboer has already penciled them together

If anything, We will have a 1A and 1B pairing with Vlasic/Braun + Martin/Burns and move Dillon to last pairing with Mueller or Tennyson.

At the moment, giving term was the only way to ensure getting him by the sounds of it. He was also pretty clutch for them in the playoffs.

@J0e Th0rnton  I think Martin has already played his best hockey, so you can slot him wherever you want, just know it will be downhill from this point moving forward and your team will regret this decision. There is no doubt he can offer some respectable hockey, but the last two years of this deal will be a MESS, mark my words bro!

@J0e Th0rnton  I think Martin has already played his best hockey, so you can slot him wherever you want, just know it will be downhill from this point moving forward and your team will regret this decision. There is no doubt he can offer some respectable hockey, but the last two years of this deal will be a MESS, mark my words bro!

It is possible, but look at players on your own team.  Streit turns 38 in December and has been your best Dman this past season, Timonen was still playing excellent before his health condition at age 39, etc

There are steep downhill declines and there are slow ebbs. All I can hope for is a slow ebb like some players have

Then outside the Flyers Zidlicky is 38 and still playing high level hockey. Chara was a Norris runner up at age 36 just a season ago. Markov turns 37 in december and just posted a 50 point year

Martin does not exactly play a body destroying style of hockey lol.

Entirely possible Martin will be one of those types :)

I think the contract is more for the benefit for the Sharks in the first two years, and then a benefit for Martin in the last two (ie asset turning into a liability). I think that was the only way we could have gotten him at that price. He hasn't shown signs of decline so that is good but you never know.

I think the contract is more for the benefit for the Sharks in the first two years, and then a benefit for Martin in the last two (ie asset turning into a liability).

Totally agree. For the most part, in the NHL, if you think somebody will go all stinky at the back end of a deal, it usually happens.

Streit turns 38 in December and has been your best Dman this past season

And he is an exception to the rule because he was late to the NHL.

He is 38 and has less NHL games (679) than Martin (782) at 34.

Lies :)

He was still one of their best Dmen, scoring 35 points the year before last at age 39 :P

He was great on the power play no doubt. Martin is not. I really like Paul Martin as a defenseman. But as I said earlier this was a long contract for a 34 year old.

He was great on the power play no doubt. Martin is not. I really like Paul Martin as a defenseman. But as I said earlier this was a long contract for a 34 year old.

Maybe. Time will tell

But I am anxious to see him paired with Burns. Burns improved defensively towards the end of the season and was lights out at the WC paired with Hamhuis.

Archived