Why is it so dead?

I know, it is July 9th, in an hour it will be July 10th but oh my God I cannot for the life of me remember a more boring week after the so called frenzy in my life. Just an absolute snoozer.

I study transaction lines with the same zest and zeal that some people read stock futures or the Bible, looking to see who ended up here or there that might give a team an edge. With names like Cody Franson and Johnny Oduya still unsigned and the Hawks still desperately looking to find anyone at all to take Patrick Sharp and his 5.9 million dollar a year contract off their hands, this was the best that I could come up with for today:

Bobby Robins who made his NHL debut at the age of 33 last year and played 3 games for the Bruins before getting shipped out retired due to post concussion symptoms.

Nathan Oystrick who has kicked around the fringe of the NHL for nearly a decade getting an NHL shot of sorts with the Ducks and Blues has been hired as the player/coach of the Elmira Jackals.

Matt Ellis who has played (badly) for the Wings and Sabres for five or six years when not working in the lower levels signed an AHL contract with the Rochester Americans.

I cannot stand it.

The teams seem to have finally reigned in their free spending ways, if not in terms of sctual spending at least in terms of term itself leaving free agents such as Franson and Chris Stewart who in years past would have gotten five year limited no trade contracts and a hotel room on the road for their pet hamster who liked to travel with them, literally sitting out in the cold. Santorelli, Tlusty, Zidlicky, all servable NHL vets and dozens like them are sitting at home wondering why the agnet will not answer their calls and why the teams don't love them anymore. Everyone is practicing a sort of personal accountability and fiscal responsibility. Alex Semin cant even get Jimmy Rutherfords number let alone get him to return a call.

And Chicago in years past would have had no problem getting a suitor for Sharp and Saad would have never been dealt. Now whispers are that if someone, anyone does not take Sharp at 30 cents on the dollar real soon that Seabrook may have to be dealt.

All I know is if tomorrow after scanning the transactions religiously, usually from two or three sources mind you, and if all that I find is Rob Zepp is going to Dynamo Minsk and the Sestito brothers signed with the Florida EverBlades, or Jonas Gustafsson has run away to join a damn cult I am going to lose my mind.

LOL,

A half step behind yet serviceable, that is the market for these over the hill guys in their mid 30's.  The KHL doesn't want them, and the NHL wants the speed from their youth.  I think I pretty much predicted there would be a lot of NHLer's without jobs this year.  Time for some of these guys to seriously think about their second career.

I do however think a lot of GM's are busy this week with their development camps and filling out their AHL rosters as most of the transactions I've seen are all ELCs.

I know, it is July 9th, in an hour it will be July 10th but oh my God I cannot for the life of me remember a more boring week after the so called frenzy in my life. Just an absolute snoozer.

I study transaction lines with the same zest and zeal that some people read stock futures or the Bible, looking to see who ended up here or there that might give a team an edge. With names like Cody Franson and Johnny Oduya still unsigned and the Hawks still desperately looking to find anyone at all to take Patrick Sharp and his 5.9 million dollar a year contract off their hands, this was the best that I could come up with for today:

Bobby Robins who made his NHL debut at the age of 33 last year and played 3 games for the Bruins before getting shipped out retired due to post concussion symptoms.

Nathan Oystrick who has kicked around the fringe of the NHL for nearly a decade getting an NHL shot of sorts with the Ducks and Blues has been hired as the player/coach of the Elmira Jackals.

Matt Ellis who has played (badly) for the Wings and Sabres for five or six years when not working in the lower levels signed an AHL contract with the Rochester Americans.

I cannot stand it.

The teams seem to have finally reigned in their free spending ways, if not in terms of sctual spending at least in terms of term itself leaving free agents such as Franson and Chris Stewart who in years past would have gotten five year limited no trade contracts and a hotel room on the road for their pet hamster who liked to travel with them, literally sitting out in the cold. Santorelli, Tlusty, Zidlicky, all servable NHL vets and dozens like them are sitting at home wondering why the agnet will not answer their calls and why the teams don't love them anymore. Everyone is practicing a sort of personal accountability and fiscal responsibility. Alex Semin cant even get Jimmy Rutherfords number let alone get him to return a call.

And Chicago in years past would have had no problem getting a suitor for Sharp and Saad would have never been dealt. Now whispers are that if someone, anyone does not take Sharp at 30 cents on the dollar real soon that Seabrook may have to be dealt.

All I know is if tomorrow after scanning the transactions religiously, usually from two or three sources mind you, and if all that I find is Rob Zepp is going to Dynamo Minsk and the Sestito brothers signed with the Florida EverBlades, or Jonas Gustafsson has run away to join a damn cult I am going to lose my mind.

Its the results of the salary cap and it's what the league wants...supposedly...

as far as Sharp goes there are teams wanting him i think...just not at the Hawks asking price...they are going to have to pretty much give him away and they are in a losing game of chicken becuase they have zero leverage...

...i've learned to call this a Holmgren tactic...and they are fools if they would get rid of Seabrook before they would take a loss on Sharp...

LOL,

A half step behind yet serviceable, that is the market for these over the hill guys in their mid 30's.  The KHL doesn't want them, and the NHL wants the speed from their youth.  I think I pretty much predicted there would be a lot of NHLer's without jobs this year.  Time for some of these guys to seriously think about their second career.

I do however think a lot of GM's are busy this week with their development camps and filling out their AHL rosters as most of the transactions I've seen are all ELCs.

Well i know what would find some of these bums a job....expansion...it may be coming sooner rather than later...

I'd be okay if the Flyers took Sharp being that he has this year and next on his contract, but the problem is Chicago would have to take VLC, so that squashes the whole idea right there. 

I agree with what @yave1964 is saying with the lack of activity, but at the same time I do not recall a Free Agent list being this dismal in years. Maybe since 2008 <cough cough Jeff Finger>

@yave1964  I think a lot of owners have learned their lesson over the brutal FA contracts handed out....it seems as if they have ordered their GM's to back off, find another way to fill the void's. A guy like Johnny Oduja has probably played his best hockey already...and he was injured in the playoffs. Nothing screams like stay away for me than injury prone past their prime defensemen.  Johnny is gonna have to lower his bar if he wants to find a team anytime soon.

I am happy with my teams moves :)

New goalie, top 4 Dman and middle 6 forward who plays clutch.

Now we are near the cap lol

I wanted to give the Sharks offseason an A rating but all these maneuvers got them up against the cap and now they lost John Scott to the Coyotes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy with my teams moves :)

New goalie, top 4 Dman and middle 6 forward who plays clutch.

Now we are near the cap lol

I know they got Martin, but who else ? who is the top 4 guy you are referring to.? ;)

Archived