NHL.com Hakstoll Article - Nice!

Just a nice read for Flyers fans. Just read it. Front and center of NHL.com right now... anyway, enjoy.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775060&navid=DL|NHL|home

I'm ready to get this thing started tire of speculating about what might be...ready just to know a little more. The good news is we're under 2 months away from camp now...till to long...but nothing else to do...may be we can debate on VLC some more....

may be we can debate on VLC some more

That one was a bigger post than I anticipated..... but, your right. Nothing else to do and 2 months is gonna be tough. I'm running into a time crunch this weekend. I was going to go on a Flyers cap tangent but probably don't have time to. Ah, it's a long summer yet. Maybe next week.

I'm just curious if Hakstol's "stare" will impress million dollar players who have been there and done that, so to speak.... It's going to be an interesting dynamic to watch.

I'm just curious if Hakstol's "stare" will impress million dollar players who have been there and done that, so to speak.... It's going to be an interesting dynamic to watch.

I looking forward to seeing that stare at the Refs when they screw the Flyers with a penalty they didn't deserve.

It's a lot easier to stare down a NCAA ref than a NHL ref, who have been there, done that. Having said that, Keenan stared daggers at refs all day long and did not get a lot of bench minors. In the end though, it's not about intimidating refs, it's about giving the Flyers an advantage, so the *stare* will have to be used less frequently in order to be effective.

You mean this stare????

bloggif_555b554fca93c.gif

Well, when you listen to guys like Roenick talk about the effect Hitch had on their mind sets, I guess anything's possible.  Personally I can't imagine being intimidated or taking anything Captain Kangaroo says seriously enough to have my feelings hurt, but if a guy like JR who thinks pretty highly of himself and made a ton of money while he was here could have his feelings hurt by Hitch not approving of him, then I guess anything is possible.

I'd rather have Hitch give me an angry stare than Hakstol any day of the week.

It'll be a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. Bet on it.

He won't get a bench penalty for staring. 

You have to mouth off pretty severely or toss your stick pile out on the ice like Roger did that time.  It's not easy.  The refs will just ignore him if he stares at 'em too long.

The real question is if Hakstol's stare muscles will start to fatigue after 40 games and if he'll be able to maintain some degree of competitive stare intensity throughout the entirety of the season.  Then of course there's how clutch his stare will be in the playoffs.  Is he a guy who puts in a lot of meaningless stares when the team already has a 2 goal lead or are his stares more clutch game winning stares.  Will he be able to dig deep and stare the hell out of the game in the third overtime of a game 7?

Time will tell.

This isn't really about Hak....but i wonder what he can do with the pieces he has on the blueline....a read on one of them...

REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS: RADKO GUDAS

http://www.pattisonave.com/realistic-expectations-radko-gudas/

Oddly enough, at 5v5, Gudas scores at a top 4 rate while driving offensive possession and being weak defensively. He’s actually oddly comparable to Luke Schenn and costs about 25% of Schenn.

So, if given the choice between Luke Schenn and Radko Gudas, it’s probably wise to take Gudas who, while being slightly less talented, is better bang for his dollar. The Flyers are sadly loaded with a ton of third pair/borderline second pair defenders, but no real top pair defenders. Even Mark Streit, who’s really good, isn’t a top paid minutes eater as his age.

While Luke and Brayden Schenn are good players, they might be forced out on account of being the best assets capable of bringing back the missing top pair defender.

Another option if a top pair defender isn’t directly available in a trade is to move the Schenn Brothers for picks only, say a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then use the freed up money to sign Cody Franson to a 4-5 year deal. A Streit-Franson pair with MDZ-Medvedev and MacDonald-Gudas probably is still a large improvement over last season. The extra upside to this deal, burying MacDonald in a third pair role where his talent level actually is could cause him to look good enough that he is tradeable next summer.

Assuming that Gudas plays the third pair, he’ll be fine. He may even be able to survive occasional second pair duty if injuries or penalties dictate he needs short bursts on the second pair. Gudas is the poor man’s Luke Schenn, the good news though, he costs roughly 2M less than Schenn and assuming that space brings in a top pair defender to fill the void of Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen, it is better for Gudas to play over Schenn. However, if the current roster is the opening night roster, it’s much better for Schenn to play over Gudas.

Enjoy......thoughts?

• 5 months later...

Diggin up some old comments and thoughts...a good read on Hak.....

Hakstol's steady approach working with Flyers

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=365064621

"There's no frustration coming out of him,'' Flyers captain Claude Giroux was saying after practice Tuesday at Skate Zone. "We'll have a bad game and it's about a process. It's about learning. It's about making it a habit to play the same way every night.''

"Obviously you're going to have the mistakes happen again and again. But you've got to eliminate them as much as possible. And find a way to execute that system as soon as possible. And I think that's what we're doing right now. We're playing well and we're skating in games. Sometimes in the beginning of the season we didn't.''

Archived