Holtby Signed; How much is he actually worth?

uspw_7031966_1.jpg

Braden Holtby is headed to arbitration against the Caps. He wants $8.0 million. Does he deserve it? Probably not that much, but he is a great, young goalie that the Caps should try to lock up long term. I think he is similar to Tuukka Rask, who makes an average $7.0 million a year. Something like that deal make sense.

I think he is similar to Tuukka Rask, who makes an average $7.0 million a year. Something like that deal make sense.

Rask has a 2.11/.930 career in the NHL.

Holtby has a 2.44/.921 career with last season being 2.22/.923, Take out his 1.79/.934 in 14 games back in 10-11 and it's 2.48/.920.

No way Holtby is "worth" $8M, but you have to shoot high in arbitration. The only $8M+ goalie hit in the league is Lundqvist.

I wouldn't even put Holtby at over $7M. I'd look in the $6M range (at best). There are four goalies with a $7+ M cap hit in this league (three of them with Vezinas, the fourth (Rinne) with three nominations), and Holtby has not shown himself to be a Top Four goalie. Even with last season's 2.22/.923 he wasn't a Vezina finalist.

@radoran

I agree he isn't worth $8 million

Rask plays for the Bruins whose best players were names like Bergeron and Chara, guys who played a 200 foot game and made you pay for going to the net.

Holtby plays with Ovechkin. 

There's your difference in numbers.

@radoran

I agree he isn't worth $8 million

Rask plays for the Bruins whose best players were names like Bergeron and Chara, guys who played a 200 foot game and made you pay for going to the net.

Holtby plays with Ovechkin. 

There's your difference in numbers.

I think 2.22/.920 isn't shabby at all.

But Lundqvist - being Lundqvist - didn't carry the Rags to the Finals by himself, but he's been there.

Quick, who has two Cups, is on at $5.8M (signed as a UFA and includes the BS low salary in last three years, but still is "actual salary" of $7M.).

Holtby's been to the second round. Twice. And he wants to be paid on Lundqvist's level and more than Quick?

Not on my team. YMMV.

@radoran

I think Holtby is one of the better young goalies in the league. But as I said he certainly hasn't earned an $8 million paycheck. I think somewhere in the $6-6.5 mil range is fair. If he only wants to sign for a year or two and prove otherwise, that's fine.

8 mil a year is laughable, I hope the caps give it to him that way they'll be stuck with him when he comes crashing back down to earth after having 1 solid season.

Middle of the pack goalies do not make 8 mil a season, 3.5 to 4 mil is more his range. until he proves he is more than average over a few more seasons.

@radoran

I think Holtby is one of the better young goalies in the league. But as I said he certainly hasn't earned an $8 million paycheck. I think somewhere in the $6-6.5 mil range is fair. If he only wants to sign for a year or two and prove otherwise, that's fine.

I like Holtby fine. He's not one of the Top Four goalies in the league. Period.

Guy went out and had a career season in a contract year. I (me, myself) don't pay extra for that.

Since he elected for arbitration, the Caps determine the length. They went with one year so Holtby will still be RFA next season (and can't file for arbitration).

Guy may have overplayed his hand, but he's got another chance next season to prove himself.

I don't see any way an arbitrator gives him $8M. It'll be in the $6M range (slightly above or below) and he'll likely be working on a qualifier of that number in 16-17 as well. Players shoot high ($8M), teams shoot low ($5.1M) and arbitrators land in the middle.

I like Holtby fine. He's not one of the Top Four goalies in the league. Period.

Guy went out and had a career season in a contract year. I (me, myself) don't pay extra for that.

Since he elected for arbitration, the Caps determine the length. They went with one year so Holtby will still be RFA next season (and can't file for arbitration).

Guy may have overplayed his hand, but he's got another chance next season to prove himself.

I don't see any way an arbitrator gives him $8M. It'll be in the $6M range (slightly above or below) and he'll likely be working on a qualifier of that number in 16-17 as well. Players shoot high ($8M), teams shoot low ($5.1M) and arbitrators land in the middle.

Its just basic negotiating tactic. I doubt he thinks in any world he gets 8 million. But you start high when your team starts low and meet somewhere

Quick, who has two Cups, is on at $5.8M

Yuck makes Niemi's backup pay check of 4.5 all the more nasty....WTF is Dallas thinking???

Holty be will sign for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.2mill-6mill per i think which is a tad high...

Yuck makes Niemi's backup pay check of 4.5 all the more nasty....WTF is Dallas thinking???

Holty be will sign for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.2mill-6mill per i think which is a tad high...

I think it is high, too, but that, unfortunately, is the "market" these days.

Caps offered $5.1M out of the gate and most "media" said "lowball" (which is crazypants).

@Rgoyer  Welcome to the board, we already have a few of these threads, but yeah, he is worth every penny of that deal....was not worth the 8 he was *reportedly* asking for...but this is fair for both sides.

• 2 months later...

I don't think he is top Goalie money like Lundquist, but he is certainly a young and very talented Goalie that needs to get paid. I say give him 7.5 million as I think he is only going to improve in the future.
I think Holtby is proved to be a top 10 goalie so he should make the kind of money a Goalie who is around the 10th best in the league. He is not a Lundqvist, Rask, Price, Bishop or Quick.

Archived