Bruins Will Get Bfyuglien

Johnny Bullet

In this humble bloggers opinion the Bruins are going to go get Dustin Bfyuglien from the Winnipeg Jets this summer.  GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is one of the best in the business but I think that's the guy the Bruins want and I think him and Don Sweeney make a deal before camp opens.  Any thoughts on that?  Just spit-ballin' here...

Byfuglien will cost ya.

And take up cap space......AND want a fat extension.

The Jet's may want some pieces you are loathe to part with.

I'm thinking the asking price would be Pasternek....which would be a high price to pay, cause that kid has star written all over him.

In this humble bloggers opinion the Bruins are going to go get Dustin Bfyuglien from the Winnipeg Jets this summer.  GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is one of the best in the business but I think that's the guy the Bruins want and I think him and Don Sweeney make a deal before camp opens.  Any thoughts on that?  Just spit-ballin' here...

Why?

Why would the Bruins give up players / picks for a player who will be a UFA next summer?  They were whinning about the cost it would take to retain Hamilton.   I can see Big Buff traded at the deadline if the Jets don't have a shot at the playoffs, but no way are the Jets trading Big Buff unless they get a # 1 d-man prospect in return.  I think the Jets may have listened if Dougie Hamilton was being offered, but that card was already played to the Flames.  

Hamilton 5.7M (6 years) -- Byfuglien $5.2M ( and will make more next season)

Why?

Why would the Bruins give up players / picks for a player who will be a UFA next summer?  They were whinning about the cost it would take to retain Hamilton.   I can see Big Buff traded at the deadline if the Jets don't have a shot at the playoffs, but no way are the Jets trading Big Buff unless they get a # 1 d-man prospect in return.  I think the Jets may have listened if Dougie Hamilton was being offered, but that card was already played to the Flames.  

Hamilton 5.7M (6 years) -- Byfuglien $5.2M ( and will make more next season)

The Hamilton trade will undoubtedly go down as the most befuddling move of the summer of 15. Honestly, I get that the Bruins are cash strapped, up tight against the cap.....but DAMN....the one player they selected to overcome the cap hurdle was the player they could least afford to lose. They could have gone 20 other routes to address the cap, but they select the heir apparent to Chara on defense....the anchor of their d for a decade....gone, for a pittance. Still having trouble wrapping my head around it all. I dunno, maybe there is more to this than initally meets the eye....is Dougie somehow damaged goods?

Of course, everyone automatically applies their team.....HEY, we could have done better than that offer.....we could have had Dougie....it is very real for Flyer fans, who saw Dougie slip by as we selected Cooter. Not upset at all to have Cooter, but to have Coots *and* Dougie in the O&B would have been some strange form of justice/fate....ha ha.

Again, I'm just guessing. Bruins are almost $5 million under the cap, will have an additional $7-8 million come off the cap next year, and if they don't resign Loui, add another $4.2 million off the cap to that. Chara's cap hit drops $3 million per season after next year if he's even around, and Seidenberg's $4 million will be gone too. Money won't be the issue. The Bruins offered Hamilton the same money as Calgary and he and his agent said no. Dougie didn't want to stay (beat writers are saying he didn't want to stay if Julien did) so they moved him for the best picks offered. It sucks, but that's what happened. With the additional cap savings they'd extend Buff this season. Teams trade for potential UFAs all the time just to hold the rights to re-sign/extend. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's also not a stretch and wouldn't surprise me if it did. Bruins have two 1st round picks, healthy supply of prospects, including Malcolm Subban. It's not that big of a stretch.

There's definately a rumor going around the Bs are interested in Buff (of course as a Flyer fan I've heard we've been interested for 5 years)

I could easily see teh Jets moving him, but the asking price will indeed be very high.

I do not see it. The Bruins appear to be heading towards rebuild mode so vets are going to be flying out the door not coming in. I could see Bergeron and/or Krejci being moved during the season for picks/prospects the addition of a middle age fat defenseman who doesnt play defense or a fat winger who doesnt score enough to me would be unappealing as a Bruin fan.

• 2 weeks later...
welcometo hockey forum!

Why do you want Byfuglien? Yes, he a good puck-moving defenseman, but he is expensive and will cost a lot of picks and prospects to get from Winnipeg. He's also 30 years-old, which means he is starting to slow down. The team was better off keeping Dougie Hamilton for a little higher price. It's not as if Dustin Byfuglien doesn't have character issues of his own.

I would not trade for Dustin Byfuglien. If he reaches the free agent market next summer, I would jump on him and try to sign him.

I would not trade for Dustin Byfuglien. If he reaches the free agent market next summer, I would jump on him and try to sign him.

I cannot imagine for one second that Chevy would let Buff get to FA and lose him for nothing. He'd be hung at the corner of Portage and Main for that kind of management error.

Archived