2015-16 Flyers Reality.

LegionOfDoom

Well, Raffl did score 21 even-strength goals. I highly doubt any youngster would score more than that. 

True, but he was playing top 6 minutes for a lot of the season also. I'm just a little skeptical on his long term upside, but yeah, that is a lot of goals for an undrafted kid.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but he was playing top 6 minutes for a lot of the season also. I'm just a little skeptical on his long term upside, but yeah, that is a lot of goals for an undrafted kid.

Of the 92 players who scored 20 or more goals last year, no one did it with less ice time (14:11 avg TOI) than Raffl. I wonder how many of his goals he scored with G and Jake? I'm too lazy to go look that up :)

He's not flashy, but he's certainly valuable to the team. 

Of the 92 players who scored 20 or more goals last year, no one did it with less ice time (14:11 avg TOI) than Raffl. I wonder how many of his goals he scored with G and Jake? I'm too lazy to go look that up :)

He's not flashy, but he's certainly valuable to the team. 

And Raffl scored 18 even strength goals...

...and to add to this point and to borrow some material from Eklund and his Stempniak article (a nod to Pods for suggesting Stempniak and a point i didn't consider)...

It was more than the likes of Nicklas Backstrom (14), Justin Williams (14), Wayne Simmonds (14), Daniel and Henrik Sedin (13 apiece), Ryan O'Reilly (13), Bobby Ryan (13), Jason Spezza (13), Joe Thornton (12), Henrik Zetterberg (12), Jaromir Jagr (12), Kyle Okposo (12), Taylor Hall (11), Nathan McKinnon (11), Anze Kopitar (10), Valterri Filppula (10), Brayden Schenn (10), Jakub Voracek (9), Claude Giroux (9), Mikko Koivu (9), Shane Doan (9) and a host of other prominent players.

Phil Kessel (16), James van Riemsdyk (16), Johhny Gaudreau (16) and Eric Staal (16) and two less than Ryan Johansen (17), Jeff Carter (17), Pavel Datsyuk (17), Sean Monahan (17), Jeff Carter (17) and Alex Galchenyuk (17).

But the main reason i didn't want Stempniak instead of Tlusy is Lee is a RW and Flyer need a LW.

I looked a while back, thinking he was just a product of those two, but he scored a decent number with other linemates. At least a third, I believe.

He had 6 that were not assisted by either VeeGee, including one shorthanded.

Two empty netters (one from Voracek).

So, really, four of his even strength goals came without Giroux or Voracek.

I think a more telling stats as to whether he was a product of the line was that he scored more frequently when on the top line (8 goals in 21 games to start the season, 5 goals in 11 games to finish it and 8 in the 35 other games he played). His injury certainly played a role in where he was slotted coming back from injury, for example).

I like Raffl and think he can be effective, but he's not really "making his own game" out there.

I like Raffl and think he can be effective, but he's not really "making his own game" out there.

I agree but you have to love the kids work ethic and his ability to play a solid 2 way game realistically he is suited for the 2nd or 3rd line. So i give him props for trying to fill the top line need for a LW.

And i won't fault (not that you are) him for making good on the guys he plays with. Kane for example has reaped huge rewards by playing with one of the best forwards in the NHL in Toews. Same for Backstrom for playing with AO.

But Raffl has certainly showed me more than the forward taken 5th overall in the draft named Brayden. And the fact that he has earned it as an undrafted guy makes me appreciate him even more. Once the Flyers find their LW he will be slotted where he belongs i think.

Making the best of opportunity is essential for a hockey player.

Look at Pascal Dupuis with Sidney Crosby, for example.

Schenn remains something of an enigma, but he's never really had a consistent role or consistent coaching throughout his professional development. Raffl's three years older and had significant pro experience (albeit at lower professional levels) than Schenn.

That said, I concur that I like Raffl much more than Schenn (at this point).

I'm hoping better coaching can elevate both.

I can't believe I am writing this. Strange, but in a way I don't want the Flyers to make the playoffs this coming year. Hextall really has a plan. It's a slow plan based on stocking the team with high end talent primarily through the draft and eliminating bloated contracts of older (nonproductive) players, plus McDonald's contract. The plan is designed to win Cups, not just make the playoffs. The defensive pipeline is now very well stocked. The goaltending appears stabilized, but the goaltending pipeline is questionable, however, in the process of being addressed.  The forwards as a group are not Stanley Cup caliber. The coach is new. Undoubtedly he will institute a system (any system). Overall, this is not a Stanley Cup contender. This coming year the Flyers can trade a couple marginal defensemen/forwards for prospects, and or, lower round draft picks. They can inject some of their young defensemen in to the system. Fast-forward to the 2016 trading deadline and Streit might fetch a first round draft pick, or better. Come draft time they have another load of quality picks. They use these picks on forwards and goaltending. Starting 2016/2017 season they are loaded for bear.  It might mean missing the playoffs this coming year, but I would give up the playoffs next year for another top ten draft pick in the next draft and a future that includes winning a Stanley Cup.. 

I getting were you are coming! Will not like anything below a cup win if not will be mad and hope for a rebound the next year. A stupid die hard fan.Then why didn't Hextall  blow it up. What could of gotten for G,Jake Simmer and others? Cap goes down then we hopefully then be able attack other team for the young talent they can't afford! Just a question.

Guys poised to have a big impact this upcoming season i think are Read if he can regain his form, i'm not really worried about that is think he will he dealt with injuries all season.

And the obvious one is RJ if it is true that he is truly healthy i expect him to help out a lot on the PK. I know his skills have eroded a little but if he can give them some time on the special teams and a solid 15-16 minutes a night and possibly chip in 15-18 goals it could be huge.

And 3rd is Ryan White who can easily replace the grit and physical edge Zac was suppose to bring. Plus his ability to play the faceoff circle and do it well plus help on the PK will be huge. I expect for him to very well chip in about 10 goals even. The fact that he netted 6 last year in only 34 games speaks volumes to what he can bring if given the time. So i think these 3 guys can bring some much needed depth scoring this team needs.

Now will they who knows.

Now i left VLC off the list just because someone has to be scratched and well i think it will be him just for the simple fact he is just slow doesn't like to play away from the puck and just doesn't fit Hakstol's type of forward.

I guess i should have maybe included Brayden but i think he will be put on the wing and left there and will actually have a good year and net 20+ so i didn't include him because in his 5th i expect it...playing for a contract too....

Now i left VLC off the list just because someone has to be scratched and well i think it will be him just for the simple fact he is just slow doesn't like to play away from the puck and just doesn't fit Hakstol's type of forward.

Yay! Three more years of $4.5M in dead cap space!

Seriously, if they are going to be able to move VLC without needing to terribly sweeten the pot, they're going to have to play him.

If he does anything, deal him for a skate sharpener. Of course, he does have the requisite #homercoaster NMC on his contract because just overpaying players for too long was never enough for #homercoaster.

If he doesn't perform, then they need to just buy him out and move on. That would at least free up $1.5M in 16-17 and $2M in 17-18 with $1M (or so) the next two years. It will also remove this ridiculous distraction.

They've already paid twelve million dollars over the past two seasons for this lump. It was a bad idea when they signed him. It remains a bad idea today.

End the nightmare.

Seriously, if they are going to be able to move VLC without needing to terribly sweeten the pot, they're going to have to play him.

Sure if that is their agenda...but i don't think Hextall wants to cave to VLC and lose leverage...they carried him all last year and played hard ball with him and even in the offseason before Hakstol got here he basically stated he can't see Vinny fitting.

So that to me was directed at Vinny and his agent...yes wanting to get him to terminate his contract, which case they said it wasn't happening.

So it boils down to a game of chicken...so Flyers really don't have to move him they have to scratch 3 anyways. So i expect Hextall to hold the course till he has to do otherwise. So yes the 4.5mill going to VLC would be nice but they have enough bodies they will make do.

I think he only 8.5mill so that isn't to bad i hope they can find a trade partner....but i wouldn't exactly expect it.

They might be able to pull off another Pronger-style trade to a cap starved team after this season - he'll have two years at $3M cash, with $4.5M cap hit.

But he will have to agree to the trade.

so Flyers really don't have to move him they have to scratch 3 anyways.

They certainly don't have to move him, but if he wasn't here, then they have room for a Laughton and one of the young Dmen on the main roster. Yes, Hexy wants to "develop" them right (which I, for one, agree with) but I gotta believe they would prefer the flexibility to move some up and down and having VLC occupying $4.5M of cap space simply doesn't give them that. Hockeyscap.com has they at $8,333 in current cap space. Yes, eight thousand dollars. Assuming Porter goes down that goes up to $583K. Add in Manning (who isn't waiver-exempt) and they get up to about $1.2M.

That ain't a lot.

#homercoaster - the gift that keeps on taking

but I gotta believe they would prefer the flexibility to move some up and down and having VLC occupying $4.5M of cap space simply doesn't give them that.

Yeah i agree...but Hextall didn't sign him to that contract and will play hard ball with him till the end i'm sure...and Hakstol has basically stated a contract won't dictate where guys play. But i'd hope at some point they will play him so scouts can have a look at him before they try to trade him out of here.

Hey i really really won't them too...he needs to be gone so they can just move on from him. And yes i'd hope sometime soon a Pronger like move at least can be made.

Add in Manning (who isn't waiver-exempt) and they get up to about $1.2M

Also can't they still waive Vinny yes i know he can't be sent to the AHL but can't they still just waive him? And get 900K of his salary in relief? Or am i wrong.

Also can't they still waive Vinny yes i know he can't be sent to the AHL but can't they still just waive him? And get 900K of his salary in relief? Or am i wrong.

I don't think they can do anything with him. "No Movement" means "No Movement" AFAIK. If they can't assign him somewhere else, he's on the roster and counts on the cap.

And he has to approve any move.

I don't think they can do anything with him. "No Movement" means "No Movement" AFAIK. If they can't assign him somewhere else, he's on the roster and counts on the cap.

And he has to approve any move.

A no-move clause means a player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent. This does not protect the player from a buyout. CapGeek uses the terms NMC and â full NMC interchangeably.

http://capgeek.org/nhl-salary-cap-faq-whats-the-difference-between-a-ntc-and-a-nmc/

Looks like you're right...well there goes that idea.

They might be able to pull off another Pronger-style trade to a cap starved team after this season - he'll have two years at $3M cash, with $4.5M cap hit.

I they could pull this off i can't state enough how excited i'd be................

RkiBwKd.gif

Buying out Lecavalier and Umberger in the off season would give them pretty good savings against the cap next year, and a little over a half million year 2. Then it's less than 1 million in penalty. It's not ideal, but year 2 is the only really bad one, and Streit's coming off the books that season, if not before via trade:

Year:                   2016                      2017                2018                2019

Umberger             1.6                         1.5

Lecavalier             2.9                         2.4                   .9                       .9

Hit:                         4.5                         3.9                    .9                       .9

Savings:               4.6                          .6                      -.9                     -.9

Buying out Lecavalier and Umberger in the off season would give them pretty good savings against the cap next year, and a little over a half million year 2. Then it's less than 1 million in penalty. It's not ideal, but year 2 is the only really bad one, and Streit's coming off the books that season, if not before via trade:

Year:                   2016                      2017                2018                2019

Umberger             1.6                         1.5

Lecavalier             2.9                         2.4                   .9                       .9

Hit:                         4.5                         3.9                    .9                       .9

Savings:               4.6                          .6                      -.9                     -.9

I know this is going out on a limb but damn it here goes.....i'm thinking RJ has a good season and finds a place and at worse gets traded out at the deadline or at the end of the season to a Arizona or another team with cap space or need to get to the cap floor. Vinny i have no hope for...but love to be wrong.

Well, if Umberger has a good season, you can consider keeping him, too. You'd still buy out VLC, and the cap savings would increase a bit over the first two years - 1.6 then 2.1, with Umberger just falling off the books entirely in year two.

The one big thing the Flyers will have in their back pocket is the help that Mason will be getting under Hak's new system. It sounds like he is a disciple of puck possession and strong backchecking....both things that will enable Mason to post even better numbers than he did last year......and last year he was stellar.

Flyers must do 3 things to make the playoffs

1)Better play 5 on 5

2)Improve transition game

3)More support for Mason

If they can improve on those 3 areas, they might just make it.

The one big thing the Flyers will have in their back pocket is the help that Mason will be getting under Hak's new system. It sounds like he is a disciple of puck possession and strong backchecking....both things that will enable Mason to post even better numbers than he did last year......and last year he was stellar.

Flyers must do 3 things to make the playoffs

1)Better play 5 on 5

2)Improve transition game

3)More support for Mason

If they can improve on those 3 areas, they might just make it.

Well see i expect them to squeak into the playoffs....

1UkpbJe.gif

I don't see playoffs until the D is improved. That's going to take a year or two (obviously steps have already been taken) By then we'll also be rid of two horrible contracts.

This team actually played pretty well versus playoff teams heading down the stretch last year where they struggles was against non playoff teams. So first thing is they need to learn to get up for the lower tier teams. I think this blue line is good enough to make the playoffs if they can improve their 5 on 5 play.

We'll see if they can. I think they will improve a good bit with a good system to rely on and a solid backup to give them some wins when Mason isn't in there.

The division they are in is damn hard but not impossible to beat. The blueline will hold the key but Hakstol stresses puck possession and support from the Dmen in the transition game. It may take some time but by Christmas who knows how they will look.

Archived