Backes ? who else has heard this ?

mojo1917

Fair enough. I did not realize that had been mentioned at the time I posted and damn you and your stats in regard to carter!

No worries :)

The whole "Kings" thing came out of jammer insisting that Lombardi made a shrewd move picking up Richards to cement a "team on the brink" of a Cup while the Flyers should obviously not pick up Backes because they "aren't near" a Cup.

In fact, the Kings weren't an obvious Cup contender even after the Richards trade (for two young players and a 2nd) and they fired their coach after a horrible start and had to give up another young player and a first to get Crater to even make the playoffs in their first Cup run.

I don't for a second believe that the Flyers are "a Backes away" from a Cup run, but I do think that he makes the team better, gives them more goal-scoring firepower and makes the second line an immediate depth scoring threat while also allowing Couturier to center a third line that could also increase depth scoring.

Not that it's going to happen :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For myself, the whole do you go get Backes thing comes down to one fact. You should wait to hire high priced veteran talent until AFTER your young core is developed and is actively contributing. Why? Because you can't take the chance that Backes is the same player 2 years down the road when the kids are indeed ready. It's all about not making costly cap expenditures in an unsafe way. With our young core on defense, you must develop them first....THEN add the key missing pieces...anything else is certainly cart before the horse.

Backes point production since 25 yrs old

25- 0.60 ppg

26- 0.75 ppg

27- 0.65 ppg

28- 0.58 ppg

29- 0.77 ppg

30- 0.72 ppg

Does it look like you can make a reasonable assumption that Backes will get more pts this year at 31? How about 2 years from now when he is 33?  Keep in mind, he will not be playing with anyone like Oshie...who is more creative than anyone on the Flyers second line. I would not make this move, to big a chance it will backfire.

Right, I'd say the VeeGees are in their prime. Simmonds has scored 25+ multiple times.

Read, Raffl, Schenn have both scored 20

Couturier is the only real major question in the lineup. Along with does Umburglar contribute.

And what do they have in gagner.

But the "core" is pretty darn corey.

The real danger here is that Backes takes a big slide downwards after a couple years. It greatly impacts your chance to move him for anything of value, or even worse he is stuck on your roster and cannot be moved. Kinda like what Homer did to us with Vinny....AND I don't see Hexy making any moves that can potentially hurt the team long run. Hexy, I do believe, will error on the side of caution when it comes to available cap space...something I've been waiting to see out of my GM since this damn cap was introduced.

The real danger here is that Backes takes a big slide downwards after a couple years. It greatly impacts your chance to move him for anything of value, or even worse he is stuck on your roster and cannot be moved. Kinda like what Homer did to us with Vinny....AND I don't see Hexy making any moves that can potentially hurt the team long run. Hexy, I do believe, will error on the side of caution when it comes to available cap space...something I've been waiting to see out of my GM since this damn cap was introduced.

There's likewise the very real and frequent risk that players don't reach their projections.

Backes is 31 not 34. And his numbers aren't on th obvious downward trajectory VLC's obviously were.

There's likewise the very real and frequent risk that players don't reach their projections.

Backes is 31 not 34. And his numbers aren't on th obvious downward trajectory VLC's obviously were.

I get what you are saying.....I didn't really articulate one of the points I was tossing around in my head....but Backes plays a VERY physical brand of hockey....but has not suffered a major injury....he is due. The very real possiblity is that he has already played his best hockey for another team....and I'm not willing to take that risk.

I get what you are saying.....I didn't really articulate one of the points I was tossing around in my head....but Backes plays a VERY physical brand of hockey....but has not suffered a major injury....he is due. The very real possiblity is that he has already played his best hockey for another team....and I'm not willing to take that risk.

And that's totally fair.

@radoran     I've obviously come down on the side of not getting  Backes, but over the last few hrs, I've actually thought of a few reasons to acquire Backes....so in the interest of fairness....

A) over the course of the next few years, at least half of our starting six defensemen will be making around 1 mill a year on their rookie contracts...so, in theory, you could sign Backes after this year and the cost could be adsorbed through savings from the youthfulness of our blueline.

B) if history shows anything from Backes, he plays a physical brand of hockey will putting up around 0.70 ppg, which is completley ok for a second line guy....BUT even better, he would make the Flyers more competitive and hostile to play against.....pretty important in my books.

B) if history shows anything from Backes, he plays a physical brand of hockey will putting up around 0.70 ppg, which is completley ok for a second line guy....BUT even better, he would make the Flyers more competitive and hostile to play against.....pretty important in my books

This is a very good point... the Flyers have no identity in my opinion.  Not sure if that was from Berube or just the makeup of this Team.  T

This is a very good point... the Flyers have no identity in my opinion.  Not sure if that was from Berube or just the makeup of this Team.  T

I think a mixture of both, but I lean towards the makeup thing.  Or maybe I lean toward Berube.  LOL.  I think it's a mixture of both.

I'm on the fence on this one.  Ultimately I'll go on the side of not trying to get him now.

It would be interesting seeing him and G on 1st and 2nd PP units. I hate to think of who we'd give up for what has to be a steep price.  

For now, I'll wait see how the rebuilding process pans out along with the new coach and younger players coming up in the next 2-3 years.

not sure why but i loved this... funny ****!!

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Makeup certainly plays a role. Ideally, you have a playmaker on every line. The flyers don't, which is why I'm an advocate of splitting Giroux and Voracek up. Gagner is somewhat of one too, so conceivably that's one for the top three lines, better than last year. Add to that the overabundance of centers and dearth of LWs (could G move back?) And your coach is stuck with pieces that make fitting them together difficult. The defense lacks any hybrid players, they're almost all purely offensive or stay at home guys. Another inadequacy in the modern NHL.

Archived