The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

GRIPE: Just once can I be matched up against someone who does NOT have a career night against me.   Congrats to @JR Ewing for having a great night against me. 71 points thanks in part to both Eberle and Bergeron having career nights.  Ugh...just once I would like not to be in a dog fight.  Seriously...good job JR!

CROW:  At least I had Eberle in the Bantam League!  (3G, A and a +4)

It's good to be lucky. I'm the beneficiary of McClellan pairing Eberle with He Who Walks On Water.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GRIPE: My NAHANA squad has won 6 of the past nine weeks. Which could be a "Crow" right? Beating four teams in the current Top 6 and currently stand 11-2-3 against #4. Again, "crow" right? But I've been WAXED (a combined 7-33-5) by teams currently ranked 8, 11 and 12 and am a good 30 points out of contention for the Championship Bracket with just six weeks to play...

Just gotta make the championship bracket and anything can happen(TM)

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

That was one of the sole reasons I picked him up in the Bantam League.   Thank You @TropicalFruitGirl26 for dropping him. :)

Apart from being pretty safe picks when it comes to expected offense, I chose both Hall and Eberle, because one or both was likely to play significant minutes with him. Even before Connor McDavid entered the league, they were big time point producers, but I was excited at the chance to have them play on the same line. Took quite awhile for that to work out, since Eberle was activated from IR the day that McDavid was hurt.

Oh well.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

GRIPE: My NAHANA squad has won 6 of the past nine weeks. Which could be a "Crow" right? Beating four teams in the current Top 6 and currently stand 11-2-3 against #4. Again, "crow" right? But I've been WAXED (a combined 7-33-5) by teams currently ranked 8, 11 and 12 and am a good 30 points out of contention for the Championship Bracket with just six weeks to play...

Just gotta make the championship bracket and anything can happen(TM)

In fairness, my team was ranked 12th, but is completely different now lol.

Its like a real team now.

29 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

thats how I feel about my Bantam A Team.....When I took over for a certain GM, it was a garbage team.  It now looks 100% different and can compete on most nights. I think I am 6-3 since taking over.  If I can sneak into the playoffs I will take it as a win.

Just now, pilldoc said:

thats how I feel about my Bantam A Team.....When I took over for a certain GM, it was a garbage team.  It now looks 100% different and can compete on most nights. I think I am 6-3 since taking over.  If I can sneak into the playoffs I will take it as a win.

I won't make the playoffs. I am trying to sell for picks lol.

It would take like 5 perfect weeks in a row for me to make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I won't make the playoffs. I am trying to sell for picks lol.

It would take like 5 perfect weeks in a row for me to make the playoffs.

yup the biggest difference is the NAHANA league is a keeper.....as you know ESPN is only 1  year.  Different formats..but I get what you are saying.  I've got to do everything I can do to get to the dance. :)

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:
52 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

It was 12th, yes. Now it's 11th.

Gripe:

LOTS of things that could have gone wrong with my FHL team (and my REAL teams for that matter!) actually DID go wrong.

Some big underperformances by many on my FHL team and bleeding minuses all over the place.  I was in a big hole I had to dig out of, and to make matters worse, my FHL opponent shared players on the same teams as I did, and his players seemed to be doing better. Plus Cory Schneider won two games for him this week in convincing fashion.

But...........

Crow:

Big games TODAY by, of all teams, the freakin BOSTON BRUINS (Krejci and Spooner), helped me close the gap at the 11th hour. Krejci also put up a nice 13 pt performance earlier in the week, while Kopitar earlier in the week, followed up a lousy 1 pt performance with an insane 18.9 one!

Late Lightning goals today, coupled with an outstanding game by Dan Girardi against the Flyers sealed the deal for me......although Shayne Gostisbehere and Jakub Voracek's late game assists against the Rangers made things just a tad uncomfortable for me.

Bottom line, I escaped this week's matchup after being down all week, by a slim 2.9 margin.

Whew!

And the two top dogs both lost as well, so that means I get ever closer to the top of the standings...and I go head to head with the top GM in two weeks. :ahappy:

I was worried for the last few weeks about position a bit more than I should have been I guess. Since it was explained how we have a consolation playoff bracket, and how the top 6 for next year to make all star is predicated on that, I breathe easier.

On another note, most of the standings are tight tight tight. Impossible to guess who we would play in the playoffs until the zero hour.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:10 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Yeah its kinda weird isn't it?

My first 3 wins this season after 8 straight losses were against 3 of the top 4 teams at the time.

I would wager you'll add the fourth of the top four teams just this week.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@J0e Th0rnton

you know one of these days I will stop trying to outsmart myself and just play players that I know can produce. For the 2nd week in a row I sat a player who can produce.  Sitting Marchand and his 33 points would have made my match with JR a lot closer.  Granted I still would have lost. (Shaking my head)

14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@J0e Th0rnton

you know one of these days I will stop trying to outsmart myself and just play players that I know can produce. For the 2nd week in a row I sat a player who can produce.  Sitting Marchand and his 33 points would have made my match with JR a lot closer.  Granted I still would have lost. (Shaking my head)

Hah...I learned very quickly not to overthink match ups.

It was the primary reason I was got into losing streaks earlier in the season (that plus I was still new to the whole FHL strategies in choosing players to begin with).....I over analyzed things, second guessed myself way too many times.

Now, while I still do some research (who I will be facing, who they have playing, etc), I still go, for the most part, with my tried and true players till I have a reason NOT to play them.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I would wager you'll add the fourth of the top four teams just this week.

Unlikely. Keep in mind I lose Stone, zibanejad and vlasic to ladyneat after today.

Mind you I am making some waiver moves to try:)

My waiver play was better than my draft this year lol

23 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Unlikely. Keep in mind I lose Stone, zibanejad and vlasic to ladyneat after today.

Mind you I am making some waiver moves to try:)

My waiver play was better than my draft this year lol

you know in the Bantam League I can actually say that too!

Looking back at my NAHANA draft, I definitely made some blunders.

Starting 5: Voracek, Rinne, Carter, Josi Nielsen

6th: McDavid

7th: Steen

8th: Elliott

9th: Kesler

10th: Green

11th: Savard

12th: Stepan

13th: Dubynsky

14th: Strome

15th: Hutchinson

16th: Niskanen

Elliott lost his starting job to Allen. mind you, he got it back now, but I no longer have him, although he turned into a future considerations piece that landed me Hellboy.

Kesler was so bad in the first 20 games in everything but faceoffs that I sold him for less than he is worth now

Green has been waiver wire material

Savard has been not even waiver wire worthy

Stepan was injured for 6 weeks and is only now getting productive

Dubynsky and the Jackets played so bad early that I dropped him, to see him promptly turn it around

Strome was demoted early after a great early campaign the year before

Hutchinson has been LOL

Niskanen has also been waiver wire fodder

I also hold the lead in the league with 63 out of 80 limit moves I think lol, and I am in 3rd with 12 players traded.

Overall, I thought by drafting strong peripheral players and defensemen who could potentially have around 50 points, it would make them attractive trade pieces. But then I gave up on them too early(Dubinsky/Stepan/Kesler) and every Dman I took was a trainwreck.

Fortunately, I loaded up with 6-7 kids and several worked out. Larkin, Draisaitl, while I let go of one in particular too early(Ristolainen) and a few were too streaky(Bennett, Nichushkin, Ehlers)

Next year Waivers will be far leaner to pick from since adding 2 teams will remove 32 players from the equation. That is probably a good thing since Waivers has been far too plentiful. I suspect more people will do those Monday 4AM waiver runs next year like I do to get the guy they want.

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Someone dropped Stone the other day in All Stars too, and I jumped. Did not think he would make it to my waiver position to be honest.

There was no way he was going to drop to me..... :cry:

Archived