Game #1 - Flyers at Lightning - Oct 8 2015

brelic

Let's hope so, because the early comments I'm reading/hearing about Morin are not good. He might very well be a bust / mediocre bottom pairing guy. 

we knew he was a "project" his upside was his skating ability. 

This is his 1st year as a "pro" right ?  I have no problem with him cooking in the A until he's ready.  We've got Ghost and Haag is potential call ups, i'm good with that. Let him grow into his body , learn to use his size against men... there is no reason what-so-ever to rush Morin to the NHL.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope so, because the early comments I'm reading/hearing about Morin are not good. He might very well be a bust / mediocre bottom pairing guy. 

we knew he was a "project" his upside was his skating ability. 

This is his 1st year as a "pro" right ?  I have no problem with him cooking in the A until he's ready.  We've got Ghost and Haag is potential call ups, i'm good with that. Let him grow into his body , learn to use his size against men... there is no reason what-so-ever to rush Morin to the NHL.

Could be a late bloomer. Could be a bust. Too early to tell, really.

That said, it doesn't really look like that great of a draft from Morin on down. Some good top 10 guys, but slim pickings after that at this point.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

The good thing about the defensive depth in the prospect pool is that there is no need to make Morin into something rightnow - and with Hextall there isn't even the "I picked him, so I must play him" involved.

He was a project to begin with and it's way to soon to be listening to someone calling him a bust before he even plays his 1st AHL...in fact i laugh at the notion.

He was a project to begin with and it's way to soon to be listening to someone calling him a bust before he even plays his 1st AHL...in fact i laugh at the notion.

I agree it's too early. But it was just in response to your comment that it will be great when he gets here - because he might very well never get here. It's still very early days to be making a judgment either way. 

My take away from last night's game was that at least they skated for almost the entire game.  No standing around wondering where they should go next.  For the most part they skated with a purpose.  Yeah, kinda of wished that G and Laughton would have buried their Penalty Shot chances, but that is the way it goes sometimes.  As has been mentione several times here and in chat last night, but I was surprised to see Umby actually have some speed again.  The 3rd line was a real pleasant surprise.  Even Coots seemed to have gained alittle of speed.  Overall as Hakstol said in his post-game comments, though disappointed in the result, I was happy with the effort.  Granted this is only Game #1 and 1 game does not the season make. 

OT is gonna be interesting this year.   No longer can teams just sit back and play for the point.  You need to make plays in OT.  Gotta admit it was fun to watch.

there is no need to make Morin into something rightnow - and with Hextall there isn't even the "I picked him, so I must play him" involved.

This.... I really like the approach Hexy is taking with all the young kids.  Let's re-evaluate Moring after a full season with the Phantoms.

Laughton was terrific.  Hopefully he can keep it up.  I don't want to jinx him, and yes it is still early, but he was playing the way a checking line's center is supposed to play.  That line seems to be clicking.

I would prefer for Simmer to play on Laughton's line and Read go to left wing on Cooter's Line and Schenn move to right wing.

Umberger, Laughton, Simmer is a line I wouldn't mind working out with for the year as that line would have drive and blue collar hard work.

If Gagner gets his game away from the puck dialed in, I wonder where he would fit on the lines being established, maybe swap with Umby? So that it would be Gagner, Laughton, Simmer.

Umby would be solid on the fourth line as well.

Umby, PEB, White/VV.

I agree it's too early. But it was just in response to your comment that it will be great when he gets here - because he might very well never get here. It's still very early days to be making a judgment either way. 

Yes in due time but he is a stay at home defenseman who already skates well. It really would be hard to imagine him being a bust...really in my mind. It will take him time to refine his game but i think he'll be a good #4 Dman in a couple years.

Laughton was terrific.  Hopefully he can keep it up.  I don't want to jinx him, and yes it is still early, but he was playing the way a checking line's center is supposed to play.  That line seems to be clicking.

It's really good to see the Flyers finally transitioning to the new style NHL finally...by that i mean being able to roll 4 lines and having a mobile D.

No longer can teams just sit back and play for the point.

Well, that was the "problem" with ties - that teams would sit back in OT and "play for the point."

I don't think 3-on-3 will stop teams in the final five minutes of a game sitting back and waiting for their "loser point" - and, quite frankly, I think that "better" teams may just figure that their talent will get the extra point in OT and not "need" to win it in regulation.

There really is no incentive to not play for the loser point at this time. And if you're a 1-line team you might think that you're better off in the 3-on-3 where your one line might be able to get you a point more often than they would in regulation.

Another reason I just really hate the gimmicky overtime.

Overall i'm happy......i know Mason would love to have had two of those goals back but he'll just get better to. A lot to be happy after this one and usually it's hard to say that after a loss.

I know it was overtime, but I was disappointed that TB won it after the MASTERFUL job Mason did in the OT prior to the winning goal. The Bolts had SO many grand opportunities, and Mason came up with save after save.

I also didn't think that first goal he gave up was anything against Mason. Screen in front. Shot from the point. Those happen.

Callahan's? OK. He wants that one back for sure. But otherwise, I thought that Mason payed a very solid game, and a brilliant OT. Just too many golden opportunities for TB. You give the Bolts that many opportunities, and they will bury you 98 times out of 100.

I think you may be being too hard on your goalie. Yep, one bad goal, but the game should have been over before it was, because Mason stood on his head in the OT.

Archived