Game #1 - Flyers at Lightning - Oct 8 2015

brelic

Here's your game day thread, folks. 

Meltzer has a nice preview, including the projected lineups for tonight.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-10815--TB/45/71506

I'm predicting a 4-3 Flyers victory. Goals by Giroux, Raffl, Brayden Schenn, and Read.

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
15 Michael Del Zotto - 23 Brandon Manning
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Sam Gagner (healthy), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Radko Gudas (healthy).

LIGHTNING

27 Jonathan Drouin - 91 Steven Stamkos - 24 Ryan Callahan
18 Ondrej Palat - 9 Tyler Johnson - 86 Nikita Kucherov
17 Alex Killorn - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 22 Erik Condra
90 Vladislav Namestnikov - 11 Brian Boyle - 23 J.T. Brown

77 Victor Hedman - 6 Anton Strålman
5 Jason Garrison - 25 Matt Carle
55 Braydon Coburn - 62 Andrej Sustr

30 Ben Bishop
[35 Kevin Poulin]

Scratches: Cedric Paquette (healthy), Nikita Nesterov (healthy), Andrei Vasilevskiy (IR, blood clot).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am perplexed.

Del Zotto and Manning as 2nd pairing?

Shouldn't Medvedev and Schenn be 2nd pairing? Medvedev impressed me in the preseason. Came advertised as one of the better offensive D in the KHL and looks like he has adapted quickly.

In any case, the lineup looks much better without Grossman and MacDonald.

How bad is Gagner that Umberger got the nod over him?

I am perplexed.

Shouldn't Medvedev and Schenn be 2nd pairing? Medvedev impressed me in the preseason. Came advertised as one of the better offensive D in the KHL and looks like he has adapted quickly.

Really, it's splitting hairs in terms of 2nd/3rd pairing. I think they'll see fairly similar even strength minutes, and Del Zotto will get more PK minutes with Schultz or Schenn. 

I agree - looks so much nicer without Grossmann and MacDud.

Gagner just didn't seem to bring any fire to his game.

I am perplexed.

I am perplexed as well, J0e. I can't figure out why Hakstol would take out a guy with speed versus a guy with none against a team with a lot of speed.

I doesn't matter who 2nd pairing is honestly.  Tampa has last change so they will put out whoever they want to match-up with anyway. 

Nice to see Manning and Laughton get a shot with the big club.

Flyers fall behind 3-0 by the end of the first.

Claw their way back to 3-2 and lose it 4-2.

Book it.

I like the Flyers forward lines, but the defense is something less to be desired. 

I tend to agree with @Digityman and think that it will be a respectable loss, but a loss none the less. 

I actually have a bet with a co-worker that the Eagles will win before the Flyers. By this I fell they'll drop the 1st two and then win the 3rd game on Monday.

Damn the top two lines Tampa is icing have a lot of skill, i mean **** that's a lot of talent, i think that's probably the top two lines in the east if not the league.

(TBLs second line could be the top line for a couple other teams ) .  

that's a well put together hockey club.

good measuring stick.

I am perplexed.

I think it's a matter of spreading out talent on D. 3 complimentary pairings rather than one and a half good ones.

Unberger looked much healthier than last year.

That said I really didn't think Gagner looked bad at all in preseason.

Hakstol has his reasons? I have no idea what they are.

I doesn't matter who 2nd pairing is honestly. Tampa has last change so they will put out whoever they want to match-up with anyway.

Nice to see Manning and Laughton get a shot with the big club.

Flyers fall behind 3-0 by the end of the first.

Claw their way back to 3-2 and lose it 4-2.

Book it.

Isn't blowing a 2 goal lead late in the second period and not being able to muster crap at all in the third more their style?

That said I really didn't think Gagner looked bad at all in preseason.

And he certainly didn't look great or doing anything to standout either...his issues have ways been without the puck and in his own end and if he doesn't play better (a 200 ft game) like Hak wants then he won't dress. He'll either get with the program or get Vinnied!!!

And eventually trade before long.

And he certainly didn't look great or doing anything to standout either...he issues have ways been without the puck and in his own end and if he doesn't play better (a 200 ft game) like Hak wants then he won't dress. He'll either get with the program or get Vinnied!!!

Well, not sure about that. Nobody wanted Vinny lol. You might just be stuck with him till he runs out.

And he certainly didn't look great or doing anything to standout either...he issues have ways been without the puck and in his own end and if he doesn't play better (a 200 ft game) like Hak wants then he won't dress. He'll either get with the program or get Vinnied!!!

Yeah I think that was always Hextall's Intention myself. Maybe he makes the team, if so, hey bonus.

Still. I still liked his knack of finding the puck in the attack zone and making a decent pass. We need that too. Personally I would have guessed that as the tougher thing to coach into a guy.

Archived