2015-16 Washington Capitals: Unleash the Fury!

Unleashed Fury

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Unleashed Fury   I have Holtby as a keeper in fantasy hockey...he is gonna have another monster year!  I always thought Holtby was elite, really, really quick goalie and great reflexes and rebound control, he could get better this year as he dials this in some more.

@Unleashed Fury   I have Holtby as a keeper in fantasy hockey...he is gonna have another monster year!  I always thought Holtby was elite, really, really quick goalie and great reflexes and rebound control, he could get better this year as he dials this in some more.

I really think he can be even better than last season. I think as the seasons have gone on when he became the primary goalie he has gradually really started to take charge and command his crease in the net. Holtby in the past would look great for a few games than really throw in a clunker of a game. I think that is behind him now as he has matured on the ice and even though the defensemen help out a lot Braden takes charge when the other team is in the Capitals zone. He is an Elite Goalie and will continue to move up the ranks. I already see him as a top 5 goalie.

The Capitals chalked up their first victory of the year while handing the New Jersey Devils their 2nd straight loss. The score was 5-3, but really was a good game and the Devils gave one hell of a fight. Goals tonight were by: Chimera, Johansson, Niskanen, Orpik, and Ovechkin. Holtby had 21 saves and picked up the win.

Yet despite it's magnificence, I dont think its even among his top ten best goals.

The guy is amazing. I love it that I get the opportunity to watch him play for every game on T.V.. People also put down Sidney Crosby and I don't like some things he says off the ice, but he plays a fantastic game and I love watching that. I hope that is the same thing for McDavid and Eichel.

In the nets tonight are Martin Jones for the Sharks and Braden Holtby for the Capitals. I am pretty sure both these goalies will see a lot of action tonight as both teams have great offenses. Joel Ward is also making his 1st appearance back to the Verizon Center not in a Caps uniform.

Sharks at Capitals should be a good offensive show.

San Jose, of course, is off to a good start (2-0), and the Caps have only played one game, but that was a win as well.

Did a bit of research on this matchup guys n gals, and found that the Sharks LIKE coming into DC to play the Caps!

Over the last 5 seasons, the Caps are just 3-7 against the Sharks, and just 1-4 against them at Verizon Center.

Tough matchup indeed for Washington.

However, that said, I also believe the Caps finally have a goaltender that is number one worthy by any measurement, in Braden Holtby.

IMO, Caps haven't really had a regular, consistent, number one go-to goalie since, well, Olaf Kolzig.

Also, in past years, the Caps have been so offense oriented, that defense often took a back seat.

Under Barry Trotz, the defense has gotten better, players are more positionally aware, while still being able to maintain their scoring bite from the likes of Alex Ovechkin and his linemates.

We will see if that recipe is enough to turn back a strong starting Sharks team that has lately, been more the predator than the prey in America's capital city.

Sharks at Capitals should be a good offensive show.

San Jose, of course, is off to a good start (2-0), and the Caps have only played one game, but that was a win as well.

Did a bit of research on this matchup guys n gals, and found that the Sharks LIKE coming into DC to play the Caps!

Over the last 5 seasons, the Caps are just 3-7 against the Sharks, and just 1-4 against them at Verizon Center.

Tough matchup indeed for Washington.

However, that said, I also believe the Caps finally have a goaltender that is number one worthy by any measurement, in Braden Holtby.

IMO, Caps haven't really had a regular, consistent, number one go-to goalie since, well, Olaf Kolzig.

Also, in past years, the Caps have been so offense oriented, that defense often took a back seat.

Under Barry Trotz, the defense has gotten better, players are more positionally aware, while still being able to maintain their scoring bite from the likes of Alex Ovechkin and his linemates.

We will see if that recipe is enough to turn back a strong starting Sharks team that has lately, been more the predator than the prey in America's capital city.

Backstrom and Ovechkin both out for tonight.

Finally get to watch a whole sharks game this season! its on at a reasonable hour

Backstrom and Ovechkin both out for tonight.

Finally get to watch a whole sharks game this season! its on at a reasonable hour

Well, for the love of all that is red, white n blue........

This could get ugly fast then....unless Barry Trotz pulls out his inner Nashville Predator coaching style and has his team grind out a victory.

Braden Holty may be good enough to keep his team in the game to give the Caps the chance to do so.

Period 1 is in the books this is sure a quick moving game and I mean the speed not time. A Brent Burns shot that was the only shot to get past Braden Holtby. Someone on the Caps offense is going to have to make that play and lead the offense to some goals since Ovie is out.

O.K. this is quickly getting out of hand. 3-0 Sharks in the middle of the 2nd period. Looks like the Sharks are out to devour the Caps tonight. The only good thing coming out of this start is the person that I am playing in Fantasy this week has Braden Holtby. I'd much rather be losing in my fantasy game than Holtby having a terrible game.

While posting this Dmitry Orlov scored a goal for the Caps. 3-1 now.

WTF. How was that goal disallowed?

Even I thought no contact was made with Jones

I agree, that was total B.S.. Sure Jay Beagle was blocking the Goalies view of the shot, but he did not even give the goalie a bump or anything. Tonight may not be the night for the Caps. First, Ovie is out of the game and now this call.

I'm still trying to get over that no goal call......

Hey Brandonn, Welcome to HockeyForums.

Here is the .gif

beagleinterference.0.gif

Yeah, I can see a little interference with the glove of Jones.  According to the rules:

Rule 78 (a) If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

But compared to other non goalie interference calls that was fairly weak.

Hey Brandonn, Welcome to HockeyForums.

Here is the .gif

beagleinterference.0.gif

Yeah, I can see a little interference with the glove of Jones.  According to the rules:

Rule 78 (a) If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

But compared to other non goalie interference calls that was fairly weak.

Again, another rule which was written poorly. It should read something like:

Rule 78 (a) If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his crease, and a goal is scored, if the contact is deemed to reasonably inhibit the goaltender from potentially preventing the goal from being scored, the goal will be disallowed.

There is very likely too much beer and not enough thought going into how these rules are written!

That's a goal!

The champs are here.

The Chicago Blackhawks enter the Verizon Center after being shutout by the Flyers last night. So yesterdays game for the Blackhawks could be a positive or negative for the Washington Capitals tonight. The Blackhawks could be pissed after being shutout, but they also just may be tired from playing yesterday. The Capitals should be well rested as they haven't played since 10/13 where they were shutout by the San Jose Sharks. The Capitals could also be super pissed being shutout and Alex Ovechkin most likely will be back in the lineup tonight. Braden Hotlby will be the Capitals goalie tonight and Scott Darling should be the goalie for the Blackhawks tonight.

Archived