The Canadiens' Start

HockeyNoob

The Canadiens have been playing really well at the beginning of the season. Now I'm a noob to hockey (as you can see) but they've only allowed 6 goals in 5 games and to me that seems amazing. My question is, how long do you think the Canadiens will go before losing their first game? They play the Red Wings and Blues and then move on after 2 tough games to play the Sabres and Maple Leafs. I think they have a legitimate chance to not lose a game this entire month. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating everything but the only threat they really face are the Red Wings and Blues and if they beat them, they're free sailing for the rest of the month. What do you think?

The Canadiens have been playing really well at the beginning of the season. Now I'm a noob to hockey (as you can see) but they've only allowed 6 goals in 5 games and to me that seems amazing. My question is, how long do you think the Canadiens will go before losing their first game? They play the Red Wings and Blues and then move on after 2 tough games to play the Sabres and Maple Leafs. I think they have a legitimate chance to not lose a game this entire month. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating everything but the only threat they really face are the Red Wings and Blues and if they beat them, they're free sailing for the rest of the month. What do you think?

Sharks have only allowed 2 goals in 4 games with 2 shutouts and outscored the opposing teams 13-2 :)

We will keep it up forever! or until Martin Jones needs a break and Stalock starts.

But for your question, they are in no way sailing. Toronto was outplaying the crap out of them and only Price kept them in that game.

Same with the Sharks. Crazy as it is, the Sharks historically have the most trouble with the worst teams in the league. The Devils just gave us the closest game this season so far. Buffalo we have not beaten in like the last 6 years. Arizona, Edmonton and Carolina gave us problems. Its absurd, but true.

Sharks have only allowed 2 goals in 4 games with 2 shutouts and outscored the opposing teams 13-2 :)

We will keep it up forever! or until Martin Jones needs a break and Stalock starts.

But for your question, they are in no way sailing. Toronto was outplaying the crap out of them and only Price kept them in that game.

Same with the Sharks. Crazy as it is, the Sharks historically have the most trouble with the worst teams in the league. The Devils just gave us the closest game this season so far. Buffalo we have not beaten in like the last 6 years. Arizona, Edmonton and Carolina gave us problems. Its absurd, but true.

Yeah that is true. The Canadiens-Maple Leafs game was the first NHL game I've ever watched. I wasn't watching that much because I was paying more attention to the Winnipeg-Bruins game, but yeah the Canadiens did play pretty bad against them. 

I didn't even notice the Sharks. Gosh they're doing awesome. Must be great for a Sharks fan like you :D

Yeah that is true. The Canadiens-Maple Leafs game was the first NHL game I've ever watched. I wasn't watching that much because I was paying more attention to the Winnipeg-Bruins game, but yeah the Canadiens did play pretty bad against them. 

I didn't even notice the Sharks. Gosh they're doing awesome. Must be great for a Sharks fan like you :D

After 5 years of Antti Niemi in goal, I popped a bottle of champagne when I heard we signed Martin Jones.

So far he is night and day better in every single aspect. Doesn't cheat low and get beat high like Niemi. No rebounds. Tracks the puck like he has an internal GPS. Always in perfect position. And he can play the puck instead of acting like it is a game of hot potato and giving it to the opposition. I would break into the sweats any time Niemi came out to play the puck because 50% of the time, he would give it to the opposition and at least 35% of the time, Niemi handling the puck = he other team scores.

Our GM hit home runs filling in depth spots this offseason too. Donskoi, Wardo and Martin were terrific additions. Let's us bump Dillon to the 3rd pair and gives us 2 Legit very strong D pairings and a strong 3rd pair. Let's us bump Nieto and Wingels to the 3rd lines and they can float up to top 6 in a pinch, but giving us great depth AND let's us play Hertl at Center in his natural position.

We just lost our 1B center Logan Couture, who takes all the shutdown assignments and scores near 70 points and I am not even worried. Hertl moved up to 2c and had an assist tonight and 2 goals so far in 4 games. Tierney moved up to 3c and he has the talent to be a 2c and Smith is no longer scratched and he is a perfect 4th liner.

Quite frankly, my only complaints are that Brown and Goodrow are playing, but once Donskoi and Karlsson come back from injury, buh bye I hope. You could put a ham sandwich on a line with Pavelski/Thornton and it will score. But Karlsson's skillset is uniquely suited to that line even though he has 3rd liner written all over him. For the same reason Burns clicked so well as a forward there before moving back to D. Forecheck hard, cycle to them and then go to the net with your stick on the ice. Pavelski and Jumbo will do the rest.

I am happy as ever. My team was depressing last year because our bottom D pairing was a combination of a rookie Mueller, a Hannan who needed to be old yellered and an Irwin who can't skate(So bad that Boston already waived him and they are short Dmen lol). With a goalie like Niemi, we had no chance.

Becoming the best team in Hockey, no question. Of course it is October and a long time to go, but rolling three lines, a great defense and Price makes for a wonderful combination.

At least until April when Therrien screws it all up.

LOL. The biggest overachievers in the NHL every year. What a HUGE difference a great goaltender makes to the overall confidence of the whole team.

IMHO, once you get past Price, the Habs are an average team in a below average league. 

They absolutely get the most out of that group every game, but when it comes down to play-off time..........

LOL. The biggest overachievers in the NHL every year. What a HUGE difference a great goaltender makes to the overall confidence of the whole team.

IMHO, once you get past Price, the Habs are an average team in a below average league. 

They absolutely get the most out of that group every game, but when it comes down to play-off time..........

Yeah, seems like they never do anything in the playoffs.

@HockeyNoob

Ya...other than those 24 Stanley Cups, they've done squat.

Meh. I think he meant in the sense of the current lineup.

Sharks never do anything in the playoffs either, so i am not one to talk. But Stanley cup counting really only matters if you still have guys on the team from the last time you won the cup.

Winning cups years ago is nice and all for History, but it does not help your team now.

@Hockey Noob

I don't know about "free sailing the rest of the month", even after the Wings and Blues games.

Don't get me wrong, impressive start for sure for the Canadiens. They've allowed no more than two goals in any of their games thus far and even have a shut out in there.

Beating the Sens, Pens, and Rangers in consecutive games is no small feat.

That all said, don't put it past either the Sabres or Leafs to hang the first loss for Montreal, even if they get by the Blues and Wings unscathed. Just the way the league works. Games you THINK you should win, you don't, games you don't think you CAN, end up being 'W's for ya.....league parity once again.

As for the rest of the month, after the Leafs game, the Habs embark on a Western Canadian road swing....yep, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary.

And they take on that road trip in a 3 games in 4 nights format.

Hardly 'smooth sailing'.

Not gonna take away anything from the Habs' excellent start, but as everyone has been noting since last season, Carey Price is The Man, when it comes to carrying this team.

Right now, the skaters are doing their part, but just judging by the scores, they Habs are scoring "normally" (while counting on Price to keep pucks out to the tune of the aforementioned less than 2)...they aren't really 'blowing anyone away' on the scoreboard.

But what happens when the forwards who are clicking now hit their speed bumps?

That was Montreal's biggest issue all season was scoring enough goals, and scoring regularly.

Price was good enough to help carry the team to 50 wins, but he had minimal support from his offense.

The right names are showing up for the Habs on the scoresheet so far....Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban, Galchenyuk....but the team also brought in Alexander Semin to bolster the scoring from last year, and well, he only has 2 assists through the 5 games so far.

So essentially, Montreal is living not only off of the usual Carey Price season, but the RIGHT players, playing the RIGHT way are getting the job done...for now.

Unless all those players have career years, things should even out as the season moves along and Montreal may find themselves struggling for goals consistently again, and Carey Price may yet find himself being the one that has to carry this team all the way to the post again as well.....unless a guy like Semin boosts the offense.

Possible of course, but again, hardly easy or smooth sailing for this team.

Not with hungry Tampa Bay, Detroit, Ottawa, and Florida squads nipping at them every step of the way.

@Hockey Noob

I don't know about "free sailing the rest of the month", even after the Wings and Blues games.

Don't get me wrong, impressive start for sure for the Canadiens. They've allowed no more than two goals in any of their games thus far and even have a shut out in there.

Beating the Sens, Pens, and Rangers in consecutive games is no small feat.

That all said, don't put it past either the Sabres or Leafs to hang the first loss for Montreal, even if they get by the Blues and Wings unscathed. Just the way the league works. Games you THINK you should win, you don't, games you don't think you CAN, end up being 'W's for ya.....league parity once again.

As for the rest of the month, after the Leafs game, the Habs embark on a Western Canadian road swing....yep, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary.

And they take on that road trip in a 3 games in 4 nights format.

Hardly 'smooth sailing'.

Not gonna take away anything from the Habs' excellent start, but as everyone has been noting since last season, Carey Price is The Man, when it comes to carrying this team.

Right now, the skaters are doing their part, but just judging by the scores, they Habs are scoring "normally" (while counting on Price to keep pucks out to the tune of the aforementioned less than 2)...they aren't really 'blowing anyone away' on the scoreboard.

But what happens when the forwards who are clicking now hit their speed bumps?

That was Montreal's biggest issue all season was scoring enough goals, and scoring regularly.

Price was good enough to help carry the team to 50 wins, but he had minimal support from his offense.

The right names are showing up for the Habs on the scoresheet so far....Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban, Galchenyuk....but the team also brought in Alexander Semin to bolster the scoring from last year, and well, he only has 2 assists through the 5 games so far.

So essentially, Montreal is living not only off of the usual Carey Price season, but the RIGHT players, playing the RIGHT way are getting the job done...for now.

Unless all those players have career years, things should even out as the season moves along and Montreal may find themselves struggling for goals consistently again, and Carey Price may yet find himself being the one that has to carry this team all the way to the post again as well.....unless a guy like Semin boosts the offense.

Possible of course, but again, hardly easy or smooth sailing for this team.

Not with hungry Tampa Bay, Detroit, Ottawa, and Florida squads nipping at them every step of the way.

For sure, it's not easy sailing the whole season. I just think the rest of the month looks fairly easy for them. Of course, there are upsets. They still have to beat the Red Wings and Blues, and then continue playing like they have so far to make sure they don't lose a game that should've been theirs. 

I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadiens didn't lose a game this month. It would be hard but amazing at the same time. I have a tough time seeing the Sabres and Oilers beating the Canadiens but you never know.

I can't believe none of those 70s Hab dynasty teams ever started a season 5-0. That's Montreals best start ever?!? 

I would have thought the 70's teams would have gotten off to a 7-0 or 8-0 start ....shocking. I think it was the 78 team that only had 9 losses on the year.

once you get past Price, the Habs are an average team in a below average league.

Goalies are not separate from the team. Canadiens are not an average team. The biggest reason that they're not average is because they have Price as their goalie.

What about P.K. Subban, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Andrei Markov, Max Pacioretty, and Tomas Plekanec? I would not consider that crew of players to be just average.

Fun, deadly and deep team that if they remain healthy and Galchenyuk takes the next step could cause fits for a lot of clubs. Gallagher killed my Wings last night but through gritted teeth I was still able to admire his play. They may be the most fun team in the game to watch right now. Instead ofCarey Price and the seven dwarfs they have built a team around him through smart drafting and they are going to make waves.

OK, maybe I'm wrong. (is that even possible?)

I'll admit that I am not a Habs fan at all, so maybe my opinion of them is a bit jaded. (is that even possible?)

Nahhhhh. What am I thinking?  :lol:  

OK, maybe I'm wrong. (is that even possible?)

I'll admit that I am not a Habs fan at all, so maybe my opinion of them is a bit jaded. (is that even possible?)

Nahhhhh. What am I thinking?  :lol:  

I don't particularly like the Habs either, but they are one hell of a team which has a good chance of getting the Cup this season.

Gallagher killed my Wings last night but through gritted teeth I was still able to admire his play. They may be the most fun team in the game to watch right now. Instead ofCarey Price and the seven dwarfs they have built a team around him through smart drafting and they are going to make waves.

Geez, I just really, really admire the grit and tenacity that Gallagher plays with. I'd kill to have him on the Flyers.

Geez, I just really, really admire the grit and tenacity that Gallagher plays with. I'd kill to have him on the Flyers.

Shh....don't say THAT on an open forum, @jammer2

Then what will happen is, Gallagher will get traded to the Flyers and the cops will be looking for a body somewhere AND you! :blink[1]:

Archived