Looking for Wings - like "left" or "right" not "red"

Digityman

Flyers are still above .500.  I believe everyone thought that's about where they would be this season.  They won 2 or 3, they are going to lose 2 or 3.   Just the way it is.  I'm more focused on how they are developing and how/if real coaching is going to make a difference with the core players. 

On a different note, the lines need to be changed up.

89 Sam Gagner- 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds
20 R.J. Umberger - 21 Scott Laughton -  12 Michael Raffl
40 Vincent Lecavalier - 76 Chris VandeVelde - 25 Ryan White

It's been said many times, but until the Flyers have a 1LW that can take pressure of Jake/Giroux they are going to struggle to produce.    We've seen what Raffl can give and honestly, it's not his fault at all.  He's just not a 1LW.   It's time to give Gagner a chance at it.  Not 1 game either.  Let's give them 20-30 games to see what happens.  More than likely he isn't the 1LW they need but he might flurish even more being paired with those two and the result would be a better player or a better trade chip.

When Couturier and Bellemare return to the lineup, the lines would look like this:

89 Sam Gagner - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl 
78 Pierre Bellamare - 76 Chris VandeVelde - 25 Ryan White

[20 R.J. Umberger], [40 Vincent Lecavalier]

This gets most of the forwards in the correct positions except for Gagner (who I don't believe is a 1LW or 2LW unless he gets to prove otherwise) and B.Schenn.

Then, Hexy needs to make the following happen for next year:

True 1LW - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

True 2LW - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds

24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 3RW

1LW Hexy will have to trade for.  B.Schenn is the key piece of the trade and maybe Gagner also (see above).

2LW could be Matt Read (as a stop gap) but I believe he is better as on a shut down line.  Taylor Leier is a possibilty but he'd have to make a big leap this summer.

3RW could be Travis Konecny or someone from the phantoms.

The defense speaks for itself and will only take time for it to shake into one of the best in the league.

Flyers are still above .500.  I believe everyone thought that's about where they would be this season.  They won 2 or 3, they are going to lose 2 or 3.   Just the way it is.  I'm more focused on how they are developing and how/if real coaching is going to make a difference with the core players. 

24 Matt Read - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds

20 R.J. Umberger - 21 Scott Laughton -  12 Michael Raffl

It's been said many times, but until the Flyers have a 1LW that can take pressure of Jake/Giroux they are going to struggle to produce.    We've seen what Raffl can give and honestly, it's not his fault at all.  He's just not a 1LW.   It's time to give Gagner a chance at it.  Not 1 game either.  Let's give them 20-30 games to see what happens.  More than likely he isn't the 1LW they need but he might flurish even more being paired with those two and the result would be a better player or a better trade chip.

When Couturier and Bellemare return to the lineup, the lines would look like this:

This gets most of the forwards in the correct positions except for Gagner (who I don't believe is a 1LW or 2LW unless he gets to prove otherwise) and B.Schenn.

1LW Hexy will have to trade for.  B.Schenn is the key piece of the trade and maybe Gagner also (see above).

2LW could be Matt Read (as a stop gap) but I believe he is better as on a shut down line.  Taylor Leier is a possibilty but he'd have to make a big leap this summer.

The defense speaks for itself and will only take time for it to shake into one of the best in the league.

Great post.

At this point i agree let's try it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Someone will have to go in a trade for a #1 LW for sure.

Like the package of the Schenn's (Brayden actually leading the team in goals) and maybe even Gagner.....to say a Winnepeg (just throwing that out there for example) they could use 3 roster players for 1 back in return sure it's a lot but you have to give to get. Nikolaj Ehlers would be a sweet target.

B. Schenn, Gagner, Read, 1 of Ghost, Alt or Hagg.

All of them?

Let's look at the top point scoring LWs from last season

Benn

Overchkin

Sedin

Foligno

Nash

Pacioretty

Zetterberg

Gaudreau

Steen

Forsberg

Palat

Schwartz

Parise

Ladd

Hartnell

Landeskog

Marleu

JVR

Tatar

Tanguay

Huberdeau

Vanek

Hoffman

Johansson

Kreider

Lucic

Abdelkader

Jokinen

Sharp

Henrique

Do you think that RFA Schenn + UFA Gagner + Read + Ghost/Alt/Hagg gets you close to any of them?

'cause I don't. Well, OK, maybe a Vanek or a Tanguay or a Lucic...

Just for the record, IMO in a trade Alt ain't worth the pixels it took to have his name on your screen and Ghost/Hagg are both 100% unproven.

I just don't see anybody giving up a significant LW player or prospect for that.

Happy to be wrong.

Do you think that RFA Schenn + UFA Gagner + Read + Ghost/Alt/Hagg gets you close to any of them?

Yes...but. 

Let me research this a little more because i was thinking young on the cusp of breaking out type LW. I will get back in a minute.

I just listed the top thirty-one LWs in scoring in the league last year.

Who's available out of that? I really don't know.

Ok three young guys i was considering was Kevin Fiala, Nick Ritchie or Nikolaj Ehlers (my 1st choice).

Flyers are still above .500. I believe everyone thought that's about where they would be this season. They won 2 or 3, they are going to lose 2 or 3. Just the way it is. I'm more focused on how they are developing and how/if real coaching is going to make a difference with the core players.

24 Matt Read - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds

20 R.J. Umberger - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

It's been said many times, but until the Flyers have a 1LW that can take pressure of Jake/Giroux they are going to struggle to produce. We've seen what Raffl can give and honestly, it's not his fault at all. He's just not a 1LW. It's time to give Gagner a chance at it. Not 1 game either. Let's give them 20-30 games to see what happens. More than likely he isn't the 1LW they need but he might flurish even more being paired with those two and the result would be a better player or a better trade chip.

This gets most of the forwards in the correct positions except for Gagner (who I don't believe is a 1LW or 2LW unless he gets to prove otherwise) and B.Schenn.

1LW Hexy will have to trade for. B.Schenn is the key piece of the trade and maybe Gagner also (see above).

2LW could be Matt Read (as a stop gap) but I believe he is better as on a shut down line. Taylor Leier is a possibilty but he'd have to make a big leap this summer.

I've been thinking about gagne up on the first line. They've been experimenting with read but I think gagne has more skill. Is that a good fit though? Is that too much of the same thing on one line?

All this is predicated on Giroux and Voracek needing to play together. IMO, you already have that scoring winger Giroux needs. He's just on the right side - Simmonds. There is very little difference between Simmonds and Hartnell that I see. Simmonds will give his linemates time and space the way Hartnell did. Put Gagner on the left. Simmonds on the right. Drop Voracek a line. Play him with Laughton and Schenn. Put Couturier with Read and Umberger. Before we go trading a bunch of pieces because we are so locked into playing two of our players together, why not see if they can play better apart? Or try your #1 goal scorer Schenn up on that line.

Also, I HATE the idea of Gagner with Giroux and Jake. Yeah, he's got a couple nice goals, but he's another guy that likes to pass. He's 14th on the team in shots - the only forwards with fewer are Couturier and Lecavalier. I'd play him with one or the other, but not both.

If you had a top line LW is there someone on this team you would give him up for?

And let's not say "Luke Schenn" or "RJ Umburglar" :thumbsu:

Would a package of Simmonds and one of the D prospects get it done?  The only concern there would be the money because Simmonds doesn't make a ton but I think that could be a framework of where to start negotiations. 

I was thinking maybe somone like Jeff Skinner?  Still young, has scored 30+ goals and is speedy enough to keep up with G and Jake.  

Ok three young guys i was considering was Kevin Fiala, Nick Ritchie or Nikolaj Ehlers (my 1st choice).

If you can get NAS, ANA or WPG to give up a promising young LW for something like Schenn+Gagner/Read+Alt/Ghost/Hagg I would do it realquick.

On the flip side, if the Flyers were on the "give up" side of that equation, I might have an anuerysm...

I'd even consider throwing in a 1st with it (unless there's some similar LW in Junior that might be available in the 7-13 range).

I've been thinking about gagne up on the first line. They've been experimenting with read but I think gagne has more skill. Is that a good fit though? Is that too much of the same thing on one line?

I honestly don't know why they haven't tried this already. It would have been one of the first things I did as a new coach with this roster.

Maybe they're afraid Raffl doesn't fit elsewhere?

Seriously spitballing...

I don't know about those lines, but I might take a look at

89 Sam Gagner - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek

I hate it when you and I are somewhere close to being on the same page.

On the flip side, if the Flyers were on the "give up" side of that equation, I might have an anuerysm...

This is true...but you have to give to get. They would just have to do their research because a move like that has to work...has too. It's why i think Nikolaj Ehlers is the choice of the closest to can't miss guys.

Like the look of those two lines once Coots is healthy. G and Jake need to be split up, at least for a while.

Gagner, by the way, is a sub-10% shooter over his career. That number doesn't tend to wander very much from the mean, so we can expect it to come down from the 20% it's currently sitting at for this year.

If you can get NAS, ANA or WPG to give up a promising young LW for something like Schenn+Gagner/Read+Alt/Ghost/Hagg I would do it realquick.

It's a hard one to answer. 

Nikolaj Ehlers would probably be the hardest to get because he has already played 10 games (4 gls 4 asts) burning a year on his ELC so they obviously think a lot of him to do that.

Fiala is in the AHL and at worst if he was to stay there his contract will slide another year. Richie is trickier he is in the AHL as well and turns 20 in december. And is more along the lines of a power forward not a finisher G and Jake need but he couldn't hurt!

Archived