Trade Giroux to Nashville?

caluso

@JJMason33   re Thornton trade...Loui Erickson has been a major disappointment, oddly enough the saving grace of the deal was Riley Smith, now traded to the Panthers for Hayes....I'm thinking that deal was cap related, cause even though Hayes has some upside, I dont think he's better than Smith.

And even with trading Lucic and Hamilton, Boston is *still* better than the Flyers. 

SMH.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OccamsRazor   I'm betting there is a lot of Phantom watching going on with the Flyer upper management. They are probably counting on guys like Cousins, Leier, Lindberg and others to fill out the bottom half of the Flyers roster.....otherwise, the trade everyone thing might not be that far off....lol.

@jammer2

So since some are making a big deal about G being 30 by the time the Flyers young blueline is ready and he should be traded (a logical question)...can the same be said for Mason as well...so far this season he has mostly been outplayed by Neuwy.

Could he be a trade chip as well in the near future as part of the rebuild/retool??

Just throwing that out there for conversation reasons...no sense in not discussing that too.

I would not trade Giroux. Not only is he our captain and top player, he is a clutch playoff performer. He's the kind of guy that even as he gets older will still be effective because of the kind of game he plays. He'll end up 2nd line center at some point as he gets replaced (Konecny on the 1st?) by younger guys in their prime. And that's the kind of veteran experience and leadership teams always search for. He's a homegrown talent, and belongs here.

That being said, if you move Schenn to the top line, the rest of the lines start to look weaker.

Schenn/G/Jake

What's next?

Gagner/Couturier/Simmonds ?

Read/Laughton/Umberger ?

VV/White/Bellemare ?

I would look at moving Read and maybe replace him with Cousins, Straka, Leier, or Aube-Kubel/Lindblom next year if they're ready. I feel like Read has outlived his usefulness on this team, and we've gotten his best years. The return won't be significant, but I'm sure you could get a 2nd rounder for him. If Gagner keeps it up, I'd resign him for a few years.

Maybe you can package Read with Luke Schenn or Manning simply to clear cap space and open up a roster spot for a young callup.

That shakes up the roster a little bit without creating yet more holes.

Sign Gagner for a few years this is why were money trouble!

@jammer2

So since some are making a big deal about G being 30 by the time the Flyers young blueline is ready and he should be traded (a logical question)...can the same be said for Mason as well...so far this season he has mostly been outplayed by Neuwy.

Could he be a trade chip as well in the near future as part of the rebuild/retool??

Just throwing that out there for conversation reasons...no sense in not discussing that too.

I can't see a good reason to trade Mason. We'd need to get a goalie in return regardless, so that would lessen any other return. We're not deep in goalie by any means. Is Mason struggling right now? kinda. Is Mason good enough to give this team a post-season chance? I think so. 

I just can't see any scenario where trading Mason helps this team in the window that we're talking about. I think that anyone else should be up for consideration however. 

Jake Voracek with 1 even strength goal since 12/21/14, a span of 61 games. discuss.......

Wuuuut. wowo.. didn't realize it was THAT bad. Holy crap. He needs a talking to from Jagr, this is getting embarrassing. Oh wait, Jagr's Panthers embarrassment of us should have been enough of a message. 

I can't see a good reason to trade Mason

The same reason you would trade G or Jake was mentioned.

By the time the core is ready these guys along with Mason will be 30+. Mason is under contract for this year and next for 4.1 mill per so will need to be resign for more money if you plan on keeping him.

Or you could trade him to a team for a nice haul.

And hand the team over the Neuvirth for 1.6 the next two years sign a backup out there i'd have to look before inserting name.

Or if you really want to lock in a lottery pick callup Labarbera to backup Neuwy and sign a backup for Stolarz or call up up the ECHL guys.

This is not meant to be hating on Mason just for brainstorming sake. Mason would bring back prospects and picks i'd think.

I'm just thinking from a rebuild standpoint....because like has been stated it could even get worse before it gets better.

So I am guessing people are starting to think Hextall is not the genius that some have made him out to be! Color me surprised. ..

Well, in many ways it's just "put up or shut up" time.

And the whole "5 years could be 8" thing isn't really helping.

Hey, Homer started out well and built a team that actually made it to the Final.

And, of course, he then blew it up.

Well, in many ways it's just "put up or shut up" time.

yeah man... here is the thing:   when is it time for Hextall to put up or shut up?   Is he asking for too great a return on some of these players?  For instance, fLuke Schenn should be at least somewhat appealing to a team.  There are a lot of teams that need help on defense and he is not as bad we the fans make him out to be.  He would be a decent addition to a good team that limits his playing time.   

More of a rhetorical question but does Hextall overvalue the current players?  Is he asking too much in return for our stiffs?  I think he grossly overvalued Jake and I hope it turns out okay.  He certainly overvalued RJ, he overvalued Rinaldo, etc...

The same reason you would trade G or Jake was mentioned.

By the time the core is ready these guys along with Mason will be 30+. Mason is under contract for this year and next for 4.1 mill per so will need to be resign for more money if you plan on keeping him.

Or you could trade him to a team for a nice haul.

And hand the team over the Neuvirth for 1.6 the next two years sign a backup out there i'd have to look before inserting name.

Or if you really want to lock in a lottery pick callup Labarbera to backup Neuwy and sign a backup for Stolarz or call up up the ECHL guys.

This is not meant to be hating on Mason just for brainstorming sake. Mason would bring back prospects and picks i'd think.

I'm just thinking from a rebuild standpoint....because like has been stated it could even get worse before it gets better.

Fair enough, I suppose. That idea is intriguing, but would require a full acknowledgement of the team being in a 'rebuild' mode. 

That idea is intriguing, but would require a full acknowledgement of the team being in a 'rebuild' mode. 

By who? Who would deny it??? They are obviously aren't watching this club play...all they need for someone to say it...then please get said person? :confused[1]:

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull  2h2 hours ago

Jake Voracek has been named Phila. Sports Writers Assoc's Athlete of the Year for all sports.

In related news, Philadelphia sports teams sucked last year...

:hocky:

Wasn't Jake top 10 in the league in scoring last year ?  

who in Philadelphia had a "better" year ?

i almost can't believe this sentence

Once again... rewarding mediocrity!! Here it is.. the reason they're not motivated. 

Guy had a pretty good season in 14/15 so he's struggling a little right now, he has been making space for himself he has been driving the net, the points will come...they're all pressing, plus they're missing 2 of the better defensive forwards on the team there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth ready for the NHL at the moment so when a guy like Couturier goes down for a couple weeks, this group feels it.  

the team can play well but everything needs to go right, I don't think the games vs the Rangers and Blackhawks were "fluky" just like i don't think the current **** show we're seeing now will continue.

Archived