Let's Build a Library

ScottM

I don't have the time to read as extensively as I used to and would still like to, but when the opportunity presents itself, it's still one of my favorite pastimes. I feel sure that I'm not alone in that, so it just struck me that it might be a good idea to start a thread in which we can discuss books about hockey. If you have a recommendation, give it to us here. It doesn't matter what type of book it is. It could be about the history of the game, a biography, a yearbook, a general guide, anything. Thanks to sites like Amazon, it doesn't even necessarily have to be in print, because we may be able to find it available even if it's been out of print for year.

I'll start it out by showing you a few that I have.

Total Hockey by Dan Diamond, et. al.

$_35.JPG

It calls itself an encyclopedia, and that's fair, because it has plenty of that type of information, but this book is kind of hard to pin down precisely. It teaches about the development of the game, it has features on pre-NHL and European players, it has complete season and stat records to that time. It literally has a bit of everything, and quite a bit of fascinating information.

A Great Game by Stephen J. Harper

book-cover.jpg

Yes, it was written by that Stephen Harper. The former Prime Minister is a huge fan of the sport and a bit of an amateur historian and his book follows the events and men that helped turn hockey into what it is today. Regardless of what you think of Harper as a politician/leader, this book is a good one.

Hockey Dynasties: Blue Lines and Bloodlines by Jack Batten, et. al.

514MD5RJHAL._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can imagine my surprise when I found this on the shelf of my local Salvation Army thrift store. I paid about $5 for it, and that was an absolute steal. This book is all about families that have had multiple members to play professional hockey. I'm sure you have no problem thinking of a few families that qualify, but you might be surprised at just how many do.

Okay, there are a few suggestions of mine. Let's see what you guys like now.

@ScottM

THE GAME By Kenny Dryden is still one of the greatest books ever written, about the tail end of the Habs Dynasty and his last year in the game, Dryden expounds his thoughts about Bowman and Lafleur and the rest of the greats. His humorous take on Lapointe is a lot of fun.

Gross Misconduct about the murder trial involving Brian spencer followed shortly by his death is a good read. It tells the story of his father getting shot and killed by police when he stormed a local TV station angry because the Leafs were not on TV that night. Disturbing.

NET WORTH Is the story of the owners and Alan Eagleson screwing the players association for literally decades. Disturbing behind the scenes of the game book that is filled with a lot of truth.

My collection is extensive, I spoke to Jammer about it before, I have most every issue of the Hockey News for two decades, over 100 Hockey books ranging from very, very good to just plain awful (see Fischler, Stan and Shirley).

And as an aside, read anything and everything you can get your hands on written by Brian McFarland. One of the all time great voices of the game.

+1 to Net Worth, both for showing the sordid history of Eagleson and the owners, but for the league's continual history of crying poor and sticking it to the players, even during times of record profit.

A few that come to mind:

-Ultimate Hockey

-The Klein & Reif Hockey Compendium (the 1986 version as well as their follow-up from 2001 are both great)

-The Death of Hockey (another one from Jeff Z. Klein and Karl-Eric Reif)

THE GAME By Kenny Dryden is still one of the greatest books ever written

I disagree. It's crap actually. The sections whining about Clarke and the Flyers and "goon" hockey are embarrassing for a Canadian to read frankly.  

I disagree. It's crap actually. The sections whining about Clarke and the Flyers and "goon" hockey are embarrassing for a Canadian to read frankly.  

For me, the part I always had the biggest problem with is just what kind of an insufferable windbag Dryden comes across as being. Mind you, he doesn't need to be in print form to come across that way.

insufferable windbag 

Yes. That he became a (Liberal) politician is a surprise to nobody.

The guy writes about the game of hockey in that book as if he was the only one to truly understand its essence or something. It's so overwrought it makes me gag.

It's hardly the "thinking man's" approach to hockey that it has basically been held up as (i.e., against the luddite goons at the gates). Pompous, self-indulgent twaddle is what it is.

Another one: "The Road to Hockeytown - Jimmy Devellano's Forty Years in the NHL", all about the years and many decisions and careers which led to the Red Wings franchise turning around from being a decades long doormat. Great stuff in there.

Archived