Pet Peeve Vent

SpikeDDS

OK, before I vent, I want to make sure I say that overall, I like Jeff Blashill and that considering the shoes he has had to fill, he has done so better than most could as the new head coach.

But in a number of pressers, he has said what many say, and it still bugs me. He says that we play good hockey because we spend a lot of time in the O-zone. OK, first of all, DUH! Second of all, that is BACKWARDS! You don't spend a lot of time in the offensive zone unless you play good, smart hockey to both enter it and then stay there. It's almost as useless a response as when coaches or players are asked what they key to winning games is, and they say to score more goals than the opponent. Well, gee, thanks very much for the enlightenment!

He also has a tendency to say the usual "get better" line that was a classic, but useless, comment that Babs loved to make. Blash apparently likes it too. I have less of a problem with this vague comment, because at least it doesn't put the egg before the chicken...or is it the chicken before the egg?

Wish they'd give us something a little more than this. "Making better decisions with the puck." "Having more awareness of opposing players." They can say other stuff that doesn't necessarily open their playbook, but shows that they are working on developing certain aspects of the game that lead to success, rather than almost-meaningless cliches.

I suppose being creative with hockey pressers comes with time and experience. Just wish they'd come with more thought.

<sigh>

I feel better now. As you were.

@SpikeDDS

I'm in the "if he's doing a good job I don't care how good of an interview he is" corner. I know it's part of the job description these days to do these daily monotonous dialogues...and I enjoy the few that come up with something original to say. But not everyone can be a "character' and I'm fine with that.

lol, the whole we have to take it one game at a time, boring coach pressers.

Personaly I would rather have a Babock, Bowman or Belicheck type who put you to sleep in the presser speaking forever and saying nothing than a coach like Fonzie who is good press but other than one year when the Lightning won in spite of their coach has never really done much. Of course if I had my druthers I would rather have an entertaining coach who wins but they are few and far between......

@yave1964 @flyercanuck @SpikeDDS

I've always thought that these interviews were always a load of Christmas Coal in the first place.  I mean, Spike, notwithstanding your misgivings about Blash's responses, have you EVER heard ANYTHING profound during a routine press conference?  I think what these guys want is for the press to leave them alone and let them do their jobs.  So they provide the same canned answers which serve only to deflate the issue, and leave absolutely no opportunity for rebuttal.  

"We gotta play better"  I mean really, what can you do with that?

Of course, this is nothing new....

Wish they'd give us something a little more than this. "Making better decisions with the puck." "Having more awareness of opposing players." They can say other stuff that doesn't necessarily open their playbook, but shows that they are working on developing certain aspects of the game that lead to success, rather than almost-meaningless cliches.

I suppose being creative with hockey pressers comes with time and experience. Just wish they'd come with more thought.

The lesson to learn here is..... don't put a microphone in front of these guys. I haven't watched a pre or post-game interview in ages and I feel better for it. They have nothing to say. Thus, I don't want to hear their thoughts, and I don't want to hear their post-game rants. If they have something to get off their chest, I'm not listening anymore. It feels so good.  :D

lol, the whole we have to take it one game at a time, boring coach pressers.

Personaly I would rather have a Babock, Bowman or Belicheck type who put you to sleep in the presser speaking forever and saying nothing than a coach like Fonzie who is good press but other than one year when the Lightning won in spite of their coach has never really done much. Of course if I had my druthers I would rather have an entertaining coach who wins but they are few and far between......

Roger Neilson (RIP) comes to mind as the type of guy (good mix personality/coach)  that you would want to run your team. He always seemed to have the respect from his players as well as his peers. I always loved his ties too. :thumbsu:

Yeah, for sure.  We need to keep things simple.  Get the puck on the net.  Play good D and the chances will come.  It's a team game.  We have to back to the basics.

Translation:

Our goalie stinks, and the "coach" doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

Archived