The Surprising Turn Around

AbelMorpheus

Our only way to win appears to be in very close games with stand-on-head goaltending and neutral zone control. 

I think you hit it bang on. I like that the team doesn't give up in tight games or games where they're losing, but that's not enough to be a playoff threat. The POs are all about 5-on-5. Penalties are much rarer, and the OT goes back to 5s. There will be no clear advantage for G/V/G come playoff time, and that's assuming they even sneak into the playoffs. The future is bright. It also is not now.

I think you hit it bang on. I like that the team doesn't give up in tight games or games where they're losing, but that's not enough to be a playoff threat. The POs are all about 5-on-5. Penalties are much rarer, and the OT goes back to 5s. There will be no clear advantage for G/V/G come playoff time, and that's assuming they even sneak into the playoffs. The future is bright. It also is not now.

I agree but just making the playoffs would be a huge boost to this club and could propel them pretty far i think...or they could even miss them completely...time will tell...Hexy will purge what he can along the way i think...

Sir E:

Here is a post from Broad Street Nation that addresses the problem:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/12/24/10661774/understanding-the-flyers-forward-corps-part-2-who-in-the-bottom-six-steps-up

We have two scoring lines.  That's it.  The other folks are good role players. So we struggle 5 on 5 due to scoring incapacity.  That makes the current winning way pretty remarkable.

Howie

Sir E:

Here is a post from Broad Street Nation that addresses the problem:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/12/24/10661774/understanding-the-flyers-forward-corps-part-2-who-in-the-bottom-six-steps-up

We have two scoring lines.  That's it.  The other folks are good role players. So we struggle 5 on 5 due to scoring incapacity.  That makes the current winning way pretty remarkable.

Howie

That was a good read. Merci.

I disagree i think that can be said for every player on this team at times.

Give him a chance then you'll know other than that i don't won't to hear any speculating after watching Jake and guys like Brayden fail to score...and then turn around and never let the guy skate on a skilled line and say he can't score.

I saw him finish on a shorty G that is all i need to see.

Give him a chance he deserves it he has the speed now let's see if he can be a scorer on G's line they let everyone on the team even the equipment guy skate on that line...why not him? 

And don't come back because he is so useful on the 4th line crap.

Wow I knew you smoked pot, but not crack. Get help before it's too late. 

In today's post, Puck Daddy refers to the Flyers as "youngsters and grunts." I think that's an apt description.  As the season wears on we'll have to see if the youngsters are worth keeping.

Is Manning a serviceable 6/7 D man or someone destined for the AHL/KHL?

Is Laughton a 2nd liner, a 4th liner, or another AHLer

Ghost is Ghost? 

Is Coots worth it?

I am glad we are playing respectable hockey. But I see the season as a test case for the future.  The vets are probably what we see of them.  I think PEB, VDV, and others are here for another year at most. White is my favorite grunt.  The others ....hope other youngsters come to the fore.  I'd love to see what Straka could do.  

By the way...as much as I like Simmonds, he is -8.  G is -10 and -3 over the last five games.  

Howie

Wow I knew you smoked pot, but not crack. Get help before it's too late. 

Joke if you want but he can suck worse than the other who have been given a chance. It's worth trying with this team then need goals.

They need points...and if they are going to keep giving the best forward not in the NHL a try they should at least give him a shot.

Joke if you want but he can suck worse than the other who have been given a chance. It's worth trying with this team then need goals.

They need points...and if they are going to keep giving the best forward not in the NHL a try they should at least give him a shot.

Thank you for not taking my last post too serious. I actually wanted to edit it, but got bombarded at work and didn't get a chance. 

While, I do agree with you that anyone of the forwards on this squad should be given an opportunity on the top line, I just think Bellemare is better suited in a checking line role. He is very effective at that and I would rather him chip in a point here and there but stay focused on disrupting the opponents top offensive units. Also, I truly believe he lacks the vision and finish to contribute on the top line. 

Now I have been wrong 10,000,000 other times in my life, so maybe he would be a nice complement to Giroux and Schenn. 

GO FLYERS!!!!

Now I have been wrong 10,000,000 other times in my life, so maybe he would be a nice complement to Giroux and Schenn. 

And i have as well...

...it just seems like everyone even the equipment guy has been given a turn on G's LW (yes even Vandevelde) except this guy...so WTF it can't hurt try him because well he is on the damn roster then if he doesn't look effective you can say you tried everything at your disposal and then look outwards maybe for a LW on another team.

Remember nothing ventured nothing gained...remember Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before being given a chance with the Rams whom he guided to a Superbowl victory...so leave no stone unturned...

On 12/24/2015 at 4:42 PM, peter puck said:

Waive umburglar already. The dude's a useless slug. The only way I trade simmonds is if the offer is way over the top.

really tired of watching Umberger flub every pass, miss every shot and fall behind every rush. How the hell he ever got a NMC is beyond me...would've been so much better to (be able to) waive Umberger and keep Gagner around - though apparently Gagner wasn't going to get ice time anyway. Boo Hakstol.

Benching Gagner was a mistake. So he didn't blow the doors off in 18 games so what? 18 games under a new coach, a new Conference etc. is just not enough time.

Hexy i think you are going to have to do something with this roster soon and i don't mean just waiving someone...i think you need to make move now while there is time to make up ground....that is if you truly want to make the playoffs...

HextallGMOffice_1.jpg

...or if you're content to riding it out and just getting another top 8 pick....then i guess just hold course.

1 hour ago, canoli said:

really tired of watching Umberger flub every pass, miss every shot and fall behind every rush. How the hell he ever got a NMC is beyond me...would've been so much better to (be able to) waive Umberger and keep Gagner around - though apparently Gagner wasn't going to get ice time anyway. Boo Hakstol.

Benching Gagner was a mistake. So he didn't blow the doors off in 18 games so what? 18 games under a new coach, a new Conference etc. is just not enough time.

That damn worthless slug. The dude can't skate ten feet with the puck without turning it over. Gagner got 18 games and the brainless trust dumps him. 18 games where the whole damn team was struggling. Friggin Umby is on his second season and still out there doing.....hell I don't know what the hell hes doing but it isn't hockey.  

3 hours ago, peter puck said:

Yes he does and maybe someone should tell him that doesnt apply while hes on the ice

LOL- NMC while on the ice, brilliant!  

And we're off and running in 2016 :)

On 12/31/2015 at 2:41 PM, canoli said:

I know that there were salaries to take into consideration but regardless of that fact I would much rather have Hartnell on this team than Umberger. Harts had his issues but he played hard, gave a crap and helped give the Flyers some semblance of an identity. He was a character. They don't have that and it's missed.

58 minutes ago, AbelMorpheus said:

I know that there were salaries to take into consideration but regardless of that fact I would much rather have Hartnell on this team than Umberger. Harts had his issues but he played hard, gave a crap and helped give the Flyers some semblance of an identity. He was a character. They don't have that and it's missed.

Yeah he would certainly still have value now you'd think...he hasn't done much this year for the Jackets...

...except lead them in goals scored and points even having to deal with being benched....

Archived