Cameron & Staff Fired

radoran

I'm not surprised that this happened, but I hate to see it. I have a feeling they're going to end up regretting this move.

@BluPuk I strongly suspect that it won't be the last move. For one thing, we've got a new GM that's going to want to put his mark on the team. Besides that, with so many players under-accomplishing this season, I think some player moves will be coming. With all the rumbling about the goaltending, I actually wonder if the Sens might not trade Anderson to both free up some cap space and give Matt O'Connor a shot. I think we'll see a couple of forwards moved, and I hope that in the process of that happening we add some depth on the left side. I don't see any circumstances in which Karlsson is sent packing, and I think it's highly unlikely Phaneuf goes anywhere. Those guys are, after all, the only big time defensemen we have (with apologies to Methot, who has been solid).

I'm actually okay with this.

I didn't dislike Cameron, so I'm not here to bury him.   But I'm not here to praise him, either.

Look, last year the Sens were a middling team that was unlikely to make the playoffs most of the year.  And for much of the year, they played like they didn't deserve to.  Their goalies went down, Hammond played like the second coming of Christ, and players like Turris and Stone had simply unbelievable last months of the season.  They played well above what they had done during the season up to that point.

Management made the decision, not Cameron, to stick with the goalie that got them the "well out of the playoffs" record when he went down and the goalie (as a backup) that played like the second coming last year but who only the foolish thought would continue anywhere near that.   

This year, Turris and Stone played like the beginning of last year.   Is that what they really are or is Cameron wholly incapable of getting the most out of them on a consistent basis?   I realize that Turris played injured far too long.   But whose fault is that?  I imagine Turris shares blame, but you'd think the medical staff and the coach should have known he was horribly ineffective and done something intelligent about it.   Stone came on at the end, but it was way too little and even more too late.

Hoffman had a nice start and a decent very end, but again, whose fault is it that these players couldn't maintain any kind of consistency?  The same could be said for a litany of players including Ryan, Zibanejad, Pageau (the latter two I hate specifically including because I like them both and neither should be expected to carry the team).  

And when the season started, did they really look at the defense outside of Karlsson --especially with what should have been viewed as suspect goaltending -- and think, "yeah, this is playoff calibre!"

They didn't do enough in the offseason to improve the team.  The front office seemed punch-drunk from their making the playoffs last year and deluded themselves into thinking they were almost there, if just for another year of experience.  That's on the front office, not Cameron.

But I also think the unexpectedly making the playoffs last year hid the "meh" job Cameron did up until that nice little run.  He was exposed again this year.

They have some work to do there.  They have some decent parts and, I think, should build around that rather than gut and start over.   I think only tweaks on defense and a left winger and a coach that refocuses them, and they're a very competitive team.

I would also suggest they change the goaltending.    I've never been a fan and am suspicious of him, but if the above happens and is done right, Anderson should be enough.

Peter Chiarelli needs to at least kick some tires on Karlsson. I couldn't think of something more perfect than acquiring him. The price would be dear, but the Oilers definitely have pieces which should interest any team.

---

EDIT

If your organization is losing, the fans are upset, and everybody's looking around for something to blame, and they settle on a really good part of your team and then blame that player, then you're cheering for a losing organization. Let's see if the men running the Sens are losers.

14 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Peter Chiarelli needs to at least kick some tires on Karlsson. I couldn't think of something more perfect than acquiring him. The price would be dear, but the Oilers definitely have pieces which should interest any team.

---

EDIT

If your organization is losing, the fans are upset, and everybody's looking around for something to blame, and they settle on a really good part of your team and then blame that player, then you're cheering for a losing organization. Let's see if the men running the Sens are losers.

If they even think about dealing Karlsson, they need to have their heads examined. No, they need to be put into the psych ward. In my opinion, if the Hart Trophy were actually voted on according to it's definition, it would have been Karlsson's this season. I don't think there's any player in the league that impacted his team as much as Karlsson did. I honestly think we would have been in the cellar without him. Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan... the list could go on... were inconsistent over the course of the year. Karlsson never really had a cold streak the way they did. He performed throughout. He posted one of the best offensive seasons ever put up by a defenseman. When discussing it requires discussing Orr and Coffey, you know that's true. As many boneheaded moves as I've watched the Sens' management make, this one would take the cake, no matter what we got back.

I'm a Senators fan. I've been one for over 20 years now. I'll die a Senators fan. But, while I won't change my allegiance over something like this, it would make me absolutely sick. It would be like finding the one properly working organ in a terminally ill patient and cutting it out in order to "cure" them. I really can't put into words the disgust I feel over that statement by Melnyk.

On 2016-04-13 at 10:40 PM, JR Ewing said:

---

EDIT

I shudder to think of the price of Karlsson.

Nobody but McDavid would be safe. If the Oilers won the lottery, the Sens could ask for the 1st overall and anyone else on the roster and it would be considered.

But realistically, Karlsson is the one guy they can't trade. Their defense is pounded crap after Karlsson.

I can't imagine what the return would have to be on Karlsson.  I think the Senators would have to hire Mike Millbury as GM first, though. 

I'd be slightly tempted if it would completely and drastically improve the front, but Joe is right, it would leave such a horrible defense what would be the point? 

You have to believe he is safe. If he's moved, there really should be crowds with pitch forks. 

32 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I shudder to think of the price of Karlsson.

Nobody but McDavid would be safe. If the Oilers won the lottery, the Sens could ask for the 1st overall and anyone else on the roster and it would be considered.

But realistically, Karlsson is the one guy they can't trade. Their defense is pounded crap after Karlsson.

Agreed, and anybody but McDavid should be considered. In all honesty though, as sexy as Karlsson would be, I favor an approach which sees the team acquire a pair of top 4 defensemen that can move the puck out of their zone, and there are options in the free agent pool, where the cost is cap space and term, and not players. For years now, they've employed a group of guys that can't do much past off-the-glass-and-out, and it kills offense, as teams which can exit the zone under control, rather than dumping it out to centre, are a little over 3 times more likely to gain the offensive zone. The average playoff team is icing Actual Top 4 guys 60% of the time. The Oilers? They're at 37% (Klefbom, Sekera, Fayne), in a league where the average team is at 53%. The guys they did have, like Petry, were run off by men who couldn't tell a good player when they had one.

As for the Sens: if they're willing to trade of Karlsson (as if he's anything other than the answer to their problems) then they deserve what they get.

Archived