Hickey hits and gets hit

hf101

Huge hit by Thomas Hickey on Jonathan Drouin.  Drouin has the puck so there isn't a late call  here but Hickey does make significant contact to the head.  I doubt this will be a suspension, but then again who knows anymore.

Shouldn't be, Drouin has to keep his head up there. Even the Lightning coach said that everyone on their bench thought it was clean.

Have to say though that Boyle may be looking at a suspension over Hickey. This should have been called an interference penalty and the winning OT goal shouldn't have counted.

I looked at the hit several times and it really doesn't look like Boyle hits Hickey in the head squarely at all. He may have glanced against it or may not have at all. I think Hickey put on somewhat of a show after watching it several times.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Wait a sec here ... did Hickey dive on that hit to embellish??  here's another look.

I have no problem with the hit on Drouin.   But that right there is embellishment.  That's embarrassing. Good call. 

1 hour ago, Holtbeast said:

I looked at the hit several times and it really doesn't look like Boyle hits Hickey in the head squarely at all. He may have glanced against it or may not have at all. I think Hickey put on somewhat of a show after watching it several times.

Yeah. It looked shoulder to shoulder to me. I think the head gets grazed after the fact, but that's 90% Hollywood. 

As for interference, I don't think that's a good call, either, but I think there's at least an argument for it. The puck is gone but I don't think long enough that it warrants interference.  To me, that's just finishing a check.   It's close enough that I think that is justifiably an interpretation call.  

If they called it, I'd think it was weak, but I'd be okay with it.  I'm okay with no call. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with no call.

MAJOR DIVE. I agree with TFG. Karma is a bitch. Hickey totally sold that as a head shot when it was not. If anything, I would fine Hickey for the embellishment on the play...that would be a real eye opener for these Roussel type dives.

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

MAJOR DIVE. I agree with TFG. Karma is a bitch. Hickey totally sold that as a head shot when it was not. If anything, I would fine Hickey for the embellishment on the play...that would be a real eye opener for these Roussel type dives.

Just because I'm not sure:  I meant I was okay with the no interference call.  I didn't mean to come across like I was talking about being okay with a no diving call. 

Actually, at that point in overtime, I'm okay with no call at all there, but yeah, the flopping was embarrassing. 

Good non call on the Boyle hit.  And I agree as I thought it was a bit of embellishment as well.  Hickey even had the wits to try to hold Boyle's stick at the same time.   No way this is interference(heck half of what the Isles are doing should be considered interference, its awful), Boyle was already committed even though he had to change directions as Hickey stopped up.(I look for a rule change on this in the future, if you have to change directions, the finishing the hit defense will go out the window).  

Drouin hit was a great hockey hit and exactly what we don't want to lose in the game.  It great to have speed and talent, but you still need to be aware that there are people that don't want you to get to the net.

Archived