2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

pilldoc

2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks  

27 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

• Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Sharks in 4 (sweep)
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

2 hours ago, B21 said:

When the original Browns up and left for Baltimore there was hardly any cheering about it in western Pennsylvania.  Quite the opposite actually.

I hate that Baltimore got a team back the same way they lost the Colts, but that's an entirely different subject......

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

REPORTED! 

LOL!  I know. I know.  Seriously, how can you hate a team that has been that bad for that long?  Not just bad but BAD.  It was a great rivalry but it's been one sided for so long it's hard to work up any animosity. 

That's said I wish Vontez, Pacman, the Bungles and the dope fans of Cincinnati nothing but the worst for the next 20 years.

21 hours ago, B21 said:

LOL!  I know. I know.  Seriously, how can you hate a team that has been that bad for that long?  Not just bad but BAD.  It was a great rivalry but it's been one sided for so long it's hard to work up any animosity. 

That's said I wish Vontez, Pacman, the Bungles and the dope fans of Cincinnati nothing but the worst for the next 20 years.

Don't forget their coach who condoned all of that crap in the playoffs last year that cost them the game, Marvin Lewis. I would have fired him right after that debacle in the playoffs, debacle especially from the standpoint of the conduct of the players on the field that have the emotional I.Q. of a 2 year old child.

Scoring the first goal will be beyond huge tonight. Pittsburgh was 33-9-7 during the regular season when scoring first. San Jose was 29-9-3 when scoring first during the regular season. Both teams are really good at bearing down on the forecheck after they get the lead.

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Scoring the first goal will be beyond huge tonight. Pittsburgh was 33-9-7 during the regular season when scoring first. San Jose was 29-9-3 when scoring first during the regular season. Both teams are really good at bearing down on the forecheck after they get the lead.

I believe both teams are good at coming back from down though as well.   1st matters... But there's just so much more to it. Right now the Sharks have 11 shots after two periods.  Mostly perimeter play at that.  But still... One mistake...

4 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Pete DeBoer's team down 2-0 in the Cup Final. Where have I seen this before? :ermm:

He did make an adjustment , that seemed to work a little better with his forward combinations...

there's really not a whole lot to be done when the other team is faster and plays just as physically. 

All of you who had Connor Sheary or Bryan Rust as your Conn Smythe winner, raise your hand. In all seriousness...it will be probably be Cookie Monster. If you had told me that Malkinstein was extremely ordinary, I would have said before the playoffs that they'd have no chance of winning the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't have thought them capable of winning the Eastern Conference title, either. I can't wait until next season with a healthy Couturier, G, Jake, Provorov, Ghost and some added pieces to knock the Penguins off of their Regis-slobbered over pedestal.

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

All of you who had Connor Sheary or Bryan Rust as your Conn Smythe winner, raise your hand. In all seriousness...it will be probably be Cookie Monster. If you had told me that Malkinstein was extremely ordinary, I would have said before the playoffs that they'd have no chance of winning the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't have thought them capable of winning the Eastern Conference title, either. I can't wait until next season with a healthy Couturier, G, Jake, Provorov, Ghost and some added pieces to knock the Penguins off of their Regis-slobbered over pedestal.

:5726ba494575b_showingguns: <-- Raising hands.  

In all seriousness, no - completely improbably.  As for the Conn Smythe - long way to go but the next games will clearly determine who gets it.  No obvious front runner on either team.

6 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Pete DeBoer's team down 2-0 in the Cup Final. Where have I seen this before? :ermm:

I dunno..  But I DO know I've seen a team that wins the first two games go on to win the Cup 44 of the 49 times it has happened... 

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

That at may be a few years away yet... 

44 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

I dunno..  But I DO know I've seen a team that wins the first two games go on to win the Cup 44 of the 49 times it has happened... 

I want to be as confident but this Pens' team has had chances to really put their foot to the throat of the opponent (both in games and in a series) and has come up short only to rebound later (Game 1 for example).  I've said before when facing a desperate team on the road the they key is to "withstand the early storm" (and most likely and early deficit) then rebound as the opponents' initial "whatever" wears down.

Not sure if that will work against the Sharks in San Jose.  I think the Pens need to come out and impose their style of play. I can see the Sharks expecting the Pens to play conservative; surprise them and open things up. Use the speed advantage. 

I'd be happy with a split in San Jose and if I could lose one it would be Game 3; I'd rather be going back to the 'Burgh off a win.  

I'm not one to count my chickens and all.  Yes the Pens have looked great the first two games, and their speed has not been affected by the Sharks physical play.  But that can all change very quickly in the NHL. If the Sharks can win their two games at home, then the momentum is theirs. The Pens have to come out with the same game they've been playing.  

Was surprised by the way a few of the Sharks got frustrated last night, thought the Pens did a good job of just letting them go, and didn't respond.

9 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

@B21  @nossagog

Agree with you both..  I don't think any of us are new enough to hockey to think the series is over...  but we have to love the way it's started out.  

Absolutely, keep starting my conversations with "If you'd have asked me in December . . . . " because of the big turnaround.  But as we all know, other teams can make turnarounds too.   I gotta say though, they have been so fun to watch this year in the playoffs.   Now if we only had a power play we could count on.

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

I'm not one to count my chickens and all.  Yes the Pens have looked great the first two games, and their speed has not been affected by the Sharks physical play.  But that can all change very quickly in the NHL. If the Sharks can win their two games at home, then the momentum is theirs. The Pens have to come out with the same game they've been playing.  

Was surprised by the way a few of the Sharks got frustrated last night, thought the Pens did a good job of just letting them go, and didn't respond.

Case in point - Thornton's cross check on Crosby after he wacked his helmet off.  Looked like Burns was getting very frustrated there at the end (before the tying goal).  Good signs but as @Polaris922 pointed out - it's not even close to being over.  Just ask the 1992 Bruins. #goonism :)

28 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Absolutely, keep starting my conversations with "If you'd have asked me in December . . . . " because of the big turnaround.  But as we all know, other teams can make turnarounds too.   I gotta say though, they have been so fun to watch this year in the playoffs.   Now if we only had a power play we could count on.

Maybe this is "blasphemy" but why not tweak the PP units? Nothing to lose.  I'd swap Letang and Schultz.  The 1st unit can't get any worse. Maybe Letang can add some oomph to the 2nd unit.  Worth a shot. Schultz is clearly capable of quarterbacking a PP.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Maybe this is "blasphemy" but why not tweak the PP units? Nothing to lose.  I'd swap Letang and Schultz.  The 1st unit can't get any worse. Maybe Letang can add some oomph to the 2nd unit.  Worth a shot. Schultz is clearly capable of quarterbacking a PP.

Not blasphemy at all.  I'd like to see both Shultz and Letang on the PP, let Shultz set up for a one timer. They are missing someone to shoot from the point, and relying on loads of passing to set up, something.   Just not happening.  Put out Malkin,Hornqvist, Crosby, Letang and Shultz.   Get Hornqvist in front of the net to tip shots and create havoc.  Have Letang float and look to getting Shultz one timers. (Will also make me feel safer having another dman back instead of running Malkin at the point)

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Certainty's.  Sharks will destroy Pittsburgh in game 3.  Pittsburgh is lucky.  

Lucky?  Dominating both ends of the ice is lucky?  Limiting the Sharks to 4-7 shots per period pretty much every period played in lucky?  You're a fool Rick.  The only thing LUCKY was that the Sharks got a goal off Maatta's leg in the first game.  I think that's about the only goal off a lucky bounce so far.  Lucky... you live in Buffalo.. what would you know about lucky? 

6 hours ago, nossagog said:

Not blasphemy at all.  I'd like to see both Shultz and Letang on the PP, let Shultz set up for a one timer. They are missing someone to shoot from the point, and relying on loads of passing to set up, something.   Just not happening.  Put out Malkin,Hornqvist, Crosby, Letang and Shultz.   Get Hornqvist in front of the net to tip shots and create havoc.  Have Letang float and look to getting Shultz one timers. (Will also make me feel safer having another dman back instead of running Malkin at the point)

I'd prefer him out there to either Malkin or Kessel.   Much as I hate to say it, and as dangerous as Kessel's wrist shot is.. has anyone else noticed her has no one timer at all?  Doesn't even attempt it?  The time he takes settling the puck means the goalie is back in position.  Hate that! 

Rick you're high. And frankly I'm jeleous

No Hertl tonight, Karlsson up to the top line and Zubrus back in the lineup.

5-0 Pens. Because it's the opposite of what I want to happen

Archived