Some SCF Interesting Facts

B21

Some interesting facts I've read over the last few days...

- On January 1, 2016 both the Pens and Sharks were 10th in their respective conferences...

- The Pens are the first EC team to win Game 1 of the SCF since the Canes (w/ JR as GM) won Game 1 in 2006...

- This is the eighth straight season in which the finalists from the prior year did not make the SCF the following year...

- Since 2003 the Sharks have won more games than any other NHL team...

- Peter DeBoer is now the 4th coach in NHL history to take a team to the SCF in his first season as that team's head coach...

2 hours ago, B21 said:

- On January 1, 2016 both the Pens and Sharks were 10th in their respective conferences...

- The Pens are the first EC team to win Game 1 of the SCF since the Canes (w/ JR as GM) won Game 1 in 2006...

- This is the eighth straight season in which the finalists from the prior year did not make the SCF the following year...

- Peter DeBoer is now the 4th coach in NHL history to take a team to the SCF in his first season as that team's head coach...

Hopefully DeBoer is the ____ head coach in NHL history to coach his new team to a Stanley Cup championship :)

6 hours ago, B21 said:

Wouldn't Bylsma and Sullivan also be in that count??  They each took over early in the season so it's their first...  

From nhl.com, Connor Sheary only the 5th rookie to score an overtime goal in a Stanley Cup Final game

Overtime Goals by Rookies, Stanley Cup Final History
Conor Sheary (PIT): Game 2 in 2016 vs. SJS
Brian Skrudland (MTL): Game 2 in 1986 at CGY
Jacques Lemaire (MTL): Game 1 in 1968 at STL
Jimmy Peters (MTL): Game 2 in 1946 vs. BOS
Alf Pike (NYR): Game 1 in 1940 vs. TOR

@B21

So here are some more facts:

• Four games ago, the San Jose Sharks had the best power-play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs at 27 percent efficiency, including a 40-percent conversion rate on home ice.
  • Four games ago, the Sharks had Joe Pavelski leading the NHL with an astounding 13 postseason goals and Joe Thornton having notched at least a point in 8 of his last 10 postseason games and Brent Burns as a nearly unstoppable force on the blue line.
  • Four games ago, the San Jose Sharks had scored the first goal in 13 of 18 playoff contests.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sharks-face-end-of-stanley-cup-dream-and-their-own-failings-045712469.html

Sullivan has done a hell of a job getting the most out of every Penguin in these Playoffs.  - Congrats!

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

@B21

Sullivan has done a hell of a job getting the most out of every Penguin in these Playoffs.  - Congrats!

Sullivan has the Pens playing as a pure team, with everyone sacrificing the body to block shots, take hits and do whatever it takes to compete.  I can't say that I've ever seen this mucheffort and sacrifice from a Pens team in my years of watching.   Hornqvist taking one off the head last night was a perfect example. 

21 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Sullivan has the Pens playing as a pure team, with everyone sacrificing the body to block shots, take hits and do whatever it takes to compete.  I can't say that I've ever seen this mucheffort and sacrifice from a Pens team in my years of watching.   Hornqvist taking one off the head last night was a perfect example. 

It's pretty impressive to watch. All 5 guys, if need be, collapse on the puck, all desperately trying to get it. Even behind their own net. There's always minimum 3 Pens there it seems. If the puck squirts out front, all 5 go out to try to block it. It's like reverting to what 5 year olds do when they play hockey for the first time: they all just swarm the puck. It gives new meaning to the term "puck support" - I've honestly never seen anything quite like it. Sullivan should win the Calder.

43 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It's pretty impressive to watch. All 5 guys, if need be, collapse on the puck, all desperately trying to get it. Even behind their own net. There's always minimum 3 Pens there it seems. If the puck squirts out front, all 5 go out to try to block it. It's like reverting to what 5 year olds do when they play hockey for the first time: they all just swarm the puck. It gives new meaning to the term "puck support" - I've honestly never seen anything quite like it. Sullivan should win the Calder  Jack Adams .

I think you meant Jack Adams. There are certain things a coach can do to "drive" his team, but what can you say to a guy to drop his body in front of a 90+ MPH shot.   Coaching is a part of it, but I think part of it is how a team comes together, willing to sacrifice for each other.   As I said, I can't remember a Pens team that has been this self sacrificing in games, as a team.

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

I think you meant Jack Adams. There are certain things a coach can do to "drive" his team, but what can you say to a guy to drop his body in front of a 90+ MPH shot.   Coaching is a part of it, but I think part of it is how a team comes together, willing to sacrifice for each other.   As I said, I can't remember a Pens team that has been this self sacrificing in games, as a team.

No, I actually meant the Conn Smythe Calder. I was just trying to say Sullivan deserves a prize for what he's done. But I guess he will have to settle for his name on the Cup. I don't disagree with what you're saying re sacrifice for each other. It's a beautiful thing to see, even if it's wearing black and yellow ;-)

EDIT: wow, I'm in the fog more than usual today

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

@B21

What is even funnier is Sullivan was on the inaugural Shark's team in the 91-92 season. And here he is now owning them. Small world.

Archived