Last chance - are we taking Matthews??

BluPuk

Uh yes. That big elite center they wanted for a long time is within reach, so why not?

With Marner in the system on wing, Nylander capable of playing C or W.

Do you want your future one two punch at C to be Nylander/Kadri with Marner on wing? Or Matthews/Nylander with Marner on wing? Think not just the next few years(not likely competing anyways), but 10 years from now. Franchise Dmen are notoriously hard to rank, and more Dmen picked high seems to not hit that ceiling when compared to C.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html
Look at 10 years ago. Erik Johnson picked 1st overall. Very good, but not franchise level. Obviously those who took Toews, Backstrom and Giroux were happier.

And just keep looking every year.

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Chychrun 1st overall?  :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

Uh huh. Correct. That's what I said.... He's big, he's mean and I build form the net out. Defense first. I would take Chychrun.

There are lots of players in the NHL right now who are as good and better than either Laine or Matthews. There will be more coming along. A good, big solid defenseman is a lot more rare. Just sayin'.

8 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Uh huh. Correct. That's what I said.... He's big, he's mean and I build form the net out. Defense first. I would take Chychrun.

There are lots of players in the NHL right now who are as good and better than either Laine or Matthews. There will be more coming along. A good, big solid defenseman is a lot more rare. Just sayin'.

Chychryn isn't a top 5 pick in this draft. He may not be the 1st defenceman taken. He may not even be the 2nd. He may fall out of the top 10. You want him, you trade down and pick up more assets.. You could get a good young NHL ready defenceman for 1st overall.

Taking him 1st overall would be so Harold Ballard, so Gord Stellick, so Floyd Smith, so JFJ, so Brian Burke...shall I go on?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

You could get OEL from the Yotes for the 1st overall plus...just sayin

Maybe. But it would certainly make a lot more sense for the Leafs at least than a reach like Chychryn when you have the 1st overall pick, there's really only 2 players in the discussion (ok one) and you're thinking of taking a guy who isn't even the top rated at his position.

Both Juolevi and Sergachov could go ahead of him. But the point is he's not really in the top 5 conversation. You don't take that 1st overall. Unless you're the previous Leaf management of the past 5 decades. You need a #1 centreman, and there he is. 

At the best of times, I would be loathe to take a defenseman with the #1 pick. And when that defenseman is out of lottery range, and you've skipped the consensus #1, it would be grounds for dismissal.

Archived