Buffalo acquires Rights to Jimmy Vesey

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

For the third rounder acquired in the McGinn trade.

Peter Donatelli, Vesey's agent, told ESPN his client is still not willing to sign a contract before Aug. 15, when he would become an unrestricted free agent.

"In our opinion the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights until Aug. 15," Donatelli said.

So nothing has really changed....he is wanting to test the waters...

Perhaps the Sabres should have asked for permission to find out what Vesey was thinking before burning a third. Not saying it might not still work out but I have read from multiple places that Veseyis as good as Boston bound as of August 15th. The snarky comment from the agent seems to go right along with that.

This is very interesting, ...while it is well known Vessey wants to sign with the Bruins, I can see Buffalo being a great 2nd choice, and frankly I think he will sign with them.  Eichel and Vessey are good friends, and I think there likely was some inside conversation between the two prior to the trade.

edit:  Both Vessey and Eichel have the same agent John Fish.  :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Hextall makes a hard push to sign this kid....i would prefer this over signing some of the retreads in the NHL now.

It seems to be in his plans. Hopefully Lyon has a good time at the development camp and can say good things about the players and coaches after being on the roster for the last bit of the year and the playoffs. Lots of variables out there, I'm sure 29 other teams will make pitches to Vesey come August 15.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

It seems to be in his plans. Hopefully Lyon has a good time at the development camp and can say good things about the players and coaches after being on the roster for the last bit of the year and the playoffs. Lots of variables out there, I'm sure 29 other teams will make pitches to Vesey come August 15.

Yes and one of his old college roommates and current Harvard starter between the pipes Merrick Madsen i hope sells him on going to Philly.

Come to Philly Jimmy the1st line LW is yours for the taking!!! :DancingGrape:

G and Jake will help you earn your next contract!!!

If Hextall can hang in there until August 15, he might have a shot at signing Jimmy Vesey, the 22-year-old 6-foot-2 left winger who opted for free agency instead of signing with his draft team, the Nashville Predators.

The Hobey Baker Award winner would come reasonably cheap, also, considering he’d be inked to a two-year, entry-level contract with a base salary that would be under $1 million. The Flyers could try enticing the four-year Harvard player by loading the contract up with performance bonuses.

I hope he knows something is up here....

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2016/05/01/how-different-ron-hextall-flyers-look-next-year/83716856/

Assuming an Umberger buyout, I believe the Flyers have roughly $9 million and would still have to pay Schenn, who will be due a raise from his $2.5 million cap hit. If I'm Hextall, the free agent to go after is Jimmy Vesey. The Harvard product already said that he won't sign with the Nashville Predators, who drafted him, and will be on the open market August 15. 

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/flyer-files/2016/06/13/flyers-mailbag-where-go-no-18-nhl-draft/85836534/

He seems to keep going back to this...so we'll see.

Sabres sheep are all drooling today because Vesey and his agent are in town meeting with Money Bags Pegula and their General Manager C3PO today. 

Don't Drink the kool-aid kid!

• 1 month later...

Vesey is finalizing a list of no more than a half-dozen teams with which he’d like to speak.

He and his agents and family held a strategy meeting yesterday to nail down that short list and discuss the relative merits of the handful of finalists.

“Just to kind of finalize our thoughts,” Vesey’s agent, ex-Boston University goalie Peter Fish, said yesterday at the Beantown Summer Classic tournament here at New England Sports Center. “We’ve all been running around doing stuff this summer, but we’re finally getting down to the nitty-gritty.”

One of the clubs very much in the running will be the team for which the Charlestown native and North Reading resident has rooted most of his life: the Bruins. Adding Vesey would be a major coup for GM Don Sweeney

Over the past several days, numerous scouts, team officials and agents on hand for the Beantown Summer Classic have speculated on Vesey’s plans. One very well-informed area NHL scout expressed the belief that the Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers and Bruins will be the finalists.

The Buffalo Sabres have had exclusive negotiating rights with the 6-foot-2, 195-pound Vesey since June 20, when they acquired those rights from the Nashville Predators, who drafted him in the third round in 2012. While the Sabres haven’t been able to sign him, it’s possible they’ll be final candidates. The Toronto Maple Leafs, for whom Vesey’s father, ex-Bruin Jim, is a scout, have also been widely mentioned. And more than one source at NESC pegged the New Jersey Devils as a darkhorse contender.

All teams will make virtually identical contract offers: Two years, with a $925,000 salary (including $92,500 each year in signing bonus) and the potential to add up to $2.85 million annually in performance bonuses.

“What Jimmy wants to do is see it through,” said Fish. “He’s wanted to go to free agency and he’s going to see it through. There’s about 4-5 teams other than Buffalo that he wants to hear from. And then after that he’s going to make a decision. I think he’d love for the Bruins to be one of those teams. I assume that we will be taking a call from them.

“We’ve looked at depth charts with some teams and talked about them. . . . “There’s obviously a lot of thought that goes into it: The city, the coach, the GM, the salary structure, how a team treats their players in the second and third contracts down the road.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2016/08/nhl_hot_for_jimmy_vesey_and_harvard_star_is_narrowing_list_for_monday

18 minutes ago, hf101 said:

“We’ve looked at depth charts with some teams and talked about them. . . . “There’s obviously a lot of thought that goes into it: The city, the coach, the GM, the salary structure, how a team treats their players in the second and third contracts down the road.”

This is kinda interesting as when it comes to the coach and GM the Blackhawks look to have the best shot at landing him.  The Hawks probably have a top 6 position available too.  Both the Blackhawks and Rangers have some cap issues and will have the same issues 2 years from now.  

When it comes to city and desire the Bruins seem to have the best chance to land Vesey.  They also have available cap space and more available cap space once Chara's contract is over.  Defensively, the Bruins don't look like a team ready to win a cup though.  

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sadly it doesn't look like the Flyers have a chance in landing him. Man they sure could use a LW his size and with a nice shot like he owns.

Yeah..too bad.  The Flyers would have been set at LW for a long time.  He would have paired nicely with Giroux and Jake.

26 minutes ago, hf101 said:

This is kinda interesting as when it comes to the coach and GM the Blackhawks look to have the best shot at landing him.  The Hawks probably have a top 6 position available too.  Both the Blackhawks and Rangers have some cap issues and will have the same issues 2 years from now.  

When it comes to city and desire the Bruins seem to have the best chance to land Vesey.  They also have available cap space and more available cap space once Chara's contract is over.  Defensively, the Bruins don't look like a team ready to win a cup though.  

My bet is on the Blackhawks.  For the time being they have been the gold standard.  Yeah I agree they will have cap issues.  (FWIW..they are gonna have cap issues regardless because of the monster contracts that both Toews and Kane have)

I think  a certain Sabre fan is gonna be drowning his sorrows at Applebee's when Vesey chooses a team other than Buffalo.

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I think  a certain Sabre fan is gonna be drowning his sorrows at Applebee's when Vessey chooses a team other than the Buffalo)

Yeah, I think giving up a 3rd pick probably wasn't the wisest choice here.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Yeah, I think giving up a 3rd pick probably wasn't the wisest choice here.

Coming close to being a Homeresque type move ....their plethora of stock piling picks is rapidly coming to an end. 

http://www.wkbw.com/news/source-vesey-unlikely-to-play-for-sabres

"Jimmy Vesey is set to become a free agent on August 15th and it looks like he might not be choosing to play for the Buffalo Sabres.

According to a source, Vesey still isn’t 100-percent certain where he’ll sign, but Buffalo isn't in his plans at this point in time."

The Sabres had multiple third round picks and giving up one for a shot at Vesey wasn't the worst idea.

It's like a pick that didn't pan out - and those are pretty common in the third round. Of the 15 players taken 74-76 from 2011 to 2014, two have made the NHL for a combined 57 games. 

Not a bad risk to be "set" at LW with a guy who can play top 6 immediately, eh?

25 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Coming close to being a Homeresque type move ....their plethora of stock piling picks is rapidly coming to an end. 

http://www.wkbw.com/news/source-vesey-unlikely-to-play-for-sabres

"Jimmy Vesey is set to become a free agent on August 15th and it looks like he might not be choosing to play for the Buffalo Sabres.

According to a source, Vesey still isn’t 100-percent certain where he’ll sign, but Buffalo isn't in his plans at this point in time."

Yeah maybe Jimmy is thinking yeah if Boston wanted me so bad why did they pass on me and take Malcolm Subban and Matt Grzelcyk (who??? a 5-8 175 pound Dman)...

...so they passed on him and maybe he remembers that guess we'll see....

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Sabres had multiple third round picks and giving up one for a shot at Vesey wasn't the worst idea.

It's like a pick that didn't pan out - and those are pretty common in the third round. Of the 15 players taken 74-76 from 2011 to 2014, two have made the NHL for a combined 57 games. 

Not a bad risk to be "set" at LW with a guy who can play top 6 immediately, eh?

did not know they had multiple 3rd round picks .....thanks for the info....then maybe is was a calculated gamble....

38 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

did not know they had multiple 3rd round picks .....thanks for the info....then maybe is was a calculated gamble....

Yeah, they also picked at 69 and 86 in the third.

And Vesey has a relationship with Eichel from Boston and Worlds.

I'm not Murray's biggest fan, but this wasn't a terrible decision and could still pan out for them.

Archived