LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Then what do we do for the next 3-4 years? We need forwards that can play physically now. We are an extremely soft team up front (and on the blueline for that matter). Simmonds can be. But neither Voracek nor Couturier have ever really thrown their weight around. We need forwards that will pound the body after every time the other team's players move the puck. That's why the other teams has such an easy time bringing the puck out of their zone. Our bottom 6 may be the softest in the league. Cousins, VdV, and Weiss...3 players that really add nothing to the bottom-6. VdV at least kills penalties, but aside from that, nothing. They don't hit, they don't create plays, they don't take face-offs and they don't score many goals.

If you think the Flyers are winning anything anytime soon, think again. They might 'qualify' for a playoff spot, but they won't be a legitimate contender for another 3 to 4 years. So yeah, the size will be on its way, but it's going to take time. Hextall's hands have been tied due to bad contracts that he's slowly getting out from under and he's had to rebuild on the fly AND keep the team competitive for a playoff spot. I'd he were given a window and a proper time frame to build accordingly, people would have a nuclear poop fit. Instead, Hextall has been forced to cater too the few that know nothing about hockey, but only know about the bottom line. So he's got no choice to build like this and it's not as easy as snapping fingers and getting it done, which people seem to think is the case. Hextall said it was going to take time. But we'll see Morin here before the end of the year and Lindblom here for the 2017 - 2018 season. Plus the Flyers will have money this off-season to spend, so they can acquire some bigger bodies. 

As for Weise, I don't think anyone anticipated him to tank like he has. As well, that's another guy who's been very physical in his career that's playing soft right now. I think he turns it around next season.

8 hours ago, brelic said:

QMJHL and KHL are not even remotely comparable!

Where did i say they were?

Point being is the kid has to play.

He wasn't getting the playing time to even produce anyhting in the KHL.

I have no problem with him playing with kids his age. In fact it's preferred so he can build confidence.

Now if he does well enough now and Hextall sees fit if need be he can join the Phantoms next year.

I just want him to play so he progresses.

Matej Tomek, G, 6-3/183, North Dakota (NCAA)
Tomek hoped his World Junior Championships performance “would make a difference a little bit up there in North Dakota.” Still, he needed something to break his way, and last Friday in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the sophomore goaltender received that break.

Fighting Hawks goalie Cam Johnson saw his streak of 55 consecutive starts — tied for a school record — come to an end Friday because of a lower-body injury, and UND head coach Brad Berry decided to reward Tomek his first collegiate start against the Tigers over senior Matt Hryniw.

The 19-year-old, however, did not last long in net. Tomek surrendered two goals on six shots in the first period, as No. 12 North Dakota fell behind Colorado College, 2-0. Both goals Tomek yielded were not of the strongest variety. The first did come after a propitious CC bounce, a bit of more bad luck for Tomek. The second, however, was a long slap shot from the left circle he appeared unprepared for from Alex Berardinelli.

Berry opted to make a goaltender change after the first intermission, going with Hryniw, who turned away all 15 shots he faced, and UND battled back to beat the Tigers, 5-2. Berry explained the decision as “you have to try to do whatever you can to get a win.”

“It was a situation — it wasn’t the sharpest period he’s had, but he hasn’t played a lot of hockey,” Berry told the AP, via the Bismarck Tribune. “Putting thoughts and feelings aside, it’s a team-first game. We put Hrynkiw in and it seemed to give us a bump.”

For Tomek, it is unclear if he will get a chance at redemption this season. North Dakota’s top priority is wins, as it’s attempting to defend its national championship. It will depend on Johnson’s health going forward if Tomek gets a shot at starting again. Friday night was his second collegiate appearance, as the Slovakian netminder came in relief of Johnson on Jan. 13, a game then-No. 7 UND lost, 6-3, to Miami. He allowed two goals on five shots in relief then, and now has surrendered four goals on 13 shots in two career games.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Where did i say they were?

Point being is the kid has to play.

He wasn't getting the playing time to even produce anyhting in the KHL.

I have no problem with him playing with kids his age. In fact it's preferred so he can build confidence.

Now if he does well enough now and Hextall sees fit if need be he can join the Phantoms next year.

I just want him to play so he progresses.

Haha, my bad! I read your post wrong.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

That is some good company right there.

The forward he is tied with is 33 years old, pretty impressive.

Flyers are in desperate need of a LW who can score.

Dobber hockey list of Flyer prospects

Some of the info has been updated as early as Feb, some nice recent stuff

http://www.dobberprospects.com/Table/philadelphia-flyers-top-prospects/

Just thought I would add, Connor Bunnaman is leading the entire OHL with 13 power play goals. I was impressed when I saw him, decent skater for a big kid. Nice hands, he is a legit prospect.

Alex Lyon gets his 3rd shutout of the season (27 saves) and Phantoms blank Sens 5-0.

Sam Morin (+2) and Hagg (+4) both with a goal and an assist.

Other goals by Zengerle, Laughton and Martel.

All goals scored 5 on 5. This team is the polar opposite of the Flyers.

Nice sounds like Scotty is getting his confidence back.

Archived