1. 1. Who wins the Stamkos Sweepstakes?

• Tampa Bay
    • Toronto
    • Detroit
    • Montreal
    • Buffalo
    • Boston

This poll is closed to new votes

With only a few days before July 1 what Team do you think will sign Steve Stamkos?  Apparently, there are at least a dozen teams who have an interest in signing the coveted center.   It is estimated that it will take somewhere between a $75-85M on a heavily front-loaded 7-8 deal.  

Teams with Money and Interest

1. Tampa Bay  - Will Stamkos re-sign in Tampa?  There are questions about how much Tampa can offer at Stamkos and if he returns may have to sign for a home-town discount.  Tampa wasn't able to extend him during the season and there are the rumored issues with Yzerman and Cooper.  Stamkos has a great chance of winning a championship if he stays.

2.  Detroit - The Redwings have the money and the cap space to sign Stamkos  now that they are freed from the Datsyuk contract.  There will be a beautiful new arena to play in 2017.  Detroit offers Stamkos a roster of young talented forwards along with core veterans and a history of excellence.

3.  Toronto - The Leafs will have to move out a contract or two, Bozak in particular, if they wish to sign Steve Stamkos, but it is possible to come up with the cap space with at newly energized franchise that boasts of excellent management, coaching, and now top prospects .  The rebuild is in place under Shanahan and hometown Stamkos would likely be offered the "C".

4.  Buffalo - Buffalo is a team on the rise stocked with talented youth.  Buffalo will likely offer the greatest amount of money towards Stamkos as Pegula will spend to the max.  

5.  Montreal - The Canadiens need to regroup after last season and can create the space available by moving a contract or two. Stamkos fills that hole down the middle.  With a healthy Carey Price this team believes they will be back in the playoffs.

6.  Bruins -  The Bruins have cap space this summer and signing Stamkos will make the Bruins one of the strongest teams down the middle.

Other teams that have been mentioned to be interested in signing Stamkos include the Panthers, Islanders, and Rangers.

Hopefully Stamkos stays with the Lightning, though us fans of the Bolts know life without Stammer is very possible given how nothing has yet been worked out despite having plenty of time to do so.

Some advantages for Stamkos re-signing with the Bolts:

--The Lightning are STILL Cup ready. If certain things would have gone their way in the Chicago series year before and against the Pens this past season, we could very well have been talking about Stanley Cup winners again in TB.

--Stamkos knows the players in TB, he knows the organization, it IS his team, and he is loved and respected by everyone there.

--Bolts play the kind of style best suited for Stamkos: fast, transitional, and up tempo....and the team has the kind of depth that can help alleviate other teams always trying to stack their defense against him, I.E. cover Stammer too much, and others like Tyler Johnson, Ryan Callahan, Nikita Kucherov, or Jonathan Drouin can burn ya.

--If its about money and term, TB offers an edge there as well: TB is the only team that can offer Stamkos an extra year if they so choose AND, the state of Florida has NO income tax (Stammer only worries about federal tax), therefore, whatever amount the Bolts give him, he keeps as opposed to elsewhere where he would have to pay state tax on top of his federal, or in the case of Canada, whatever extra it is they take from a paycheck.

Only real disadvantages I can see for Stamkos re-signing is

1-- If he really wants to play closer to home, then obviously Tampa, FL is not quite Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal, or even Detroit as far as distance goes.

2-- If there really is an issue as to how to use Stamkos in the lineup (i.e. the rumored problem of Coach Cooper preferring him at Wing as opposed to Stamkos' desire to play C), then THAT could drive him towards another team.

Frankly, if Stamkos himself feels most comfortable at C, then Coach Cooper needs to cut the crap and just play his star C at the damned C position!

That of course, is all heresay...only Cooper and Stamkos know for sure if there is a real problem there...everyone else can only speculate.

Also, there is no guarantee that Stamkos won't be moved to wing on another team anyways if THAT coach feels Stamkos makes a better winger......it has been rumored that a coach like Babcock in Toronto may also prefer him at W if he were to sign there.....again, all speculation.

I honestly have NO FLIPPIN CLUE where Stamkos ends up.

As a hardcore Bolts fan, I am fully preparing myself if he does indeed leave the team.

It would sadden me, and yes, it would suck, but there would also be a bright side:

Not signing Stamkos almost assures the team will still have a plenty deep lineup to be contenders and that includes being able to keep guys like Tyler Johnson, Nikita Kucherov, and Victor Hedman long term, along with possibly being able to sign a significant free agent either this off season or next, that, while not being Stamkos, would still represent a very good top line player to help this team remain Cup ready.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

8 years, 8.5 million per year. That's a coup for TB given the numbers that were rumored to be in play from other teams.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

yup...the home team discount...considering we have been 1hearing 0 mill / yr to start.....

Hometown discount for sure, but I honestly believe the combination of staying on a Cup contender and no state tax (stretches that 8.5M even further!) was the deciding factor.

Now, with this problem solved, the Bolts now have to turn to seeing how many of their other players they can keep.

I think its a foregone conclusion that a signed Stamkos means at least two or three other good players, in the long run, will NOT be able to stay...and that could start with the rumors of Ben Bishop being traded.

Of course, the Bolts could help that situation yet again if they can somehow offload both Matt Carle's and Valterri Filppula's contracts...each carries a 5.5M and 5.0M cap hit respectively.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 - Yeah, I don't want to do the math, but the lack of a state tax has to factor in a bit there. No doubt in my mind the Bolts are celebrating another Cup with a healthy Stamkos this year, so why not stick with that team?

Very glad to see him stay in TB. Seems more like the impression of him that I have than to chase the money.

On the state tax thing, I'm not an expert in professional athlete taxation in the United States but I would think his salary would need to be apportioned to other states, provinces, and countries based on a certain formula including games played, practices, etc. and any federal/state resource rules plus including foreign tax credits for Canadian federal tax paid.  So roughly 50% (41/82) would be taxable in FL subject to including playing the Panthers in Sunrise and practices in state.  So I don't think he gets away from paying any state tax entirely. 

Either way.  If I am a Bolts fan I am happy. 

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Major flood warnings have been issued for WNY due to all the tears from Sabres and Leafs fans thinking Stammer would put on their sweater next season.:63:

Somewhere there is a lonely Sabre fan  with a Lumina at Applebee's, eating Halibut crying to the waitress saying over and over...

"he should have been ours...he should have been ours" :572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

21 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Somewhere there is a lonely Sabre fan  with a Lumina at Applebee's, eating Halibut crying to the waitress saying over and over...

"he should have been ours...he should have been ours" :572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

Sabres robotic GM (dude is not capable of showing human emotion) and monopoly guy owner promised the Sabres were going after "the Big Fish" and bringing it back to Buffalo. Looks like they will be sticking with Halibut.

Archived