Re-sign Manning?

Slow morning, so let's chat about Mr Manning.  Given the Flyers cap situation, do we think they re-sign him?   Here's my thinking; which obviously means nothing.  :-)

Flyers have roughly 8.5 million to sign Weal, Manning, Schenn and Cousins.   Lets say, they don't resign Manning.  Could he be his roster slot be taken by Provorov?  Ivan slots into bottom 3, to start.  Schultz becomes 7th.  Given how little he played, I'm also not sure they sign Weal either.  So maybe I should start a Weal thread too. LOL.... 

Looking at recent league contracts, I'm starting to think Schenn may get an AAV of $5 million/year(+).  If that happens, I'm not sure there's enough to sign the other 3 guys.  Given the D prospects I'm figuring Manning is the odd man out, as he is probably the easiest to replace from the system.

Thoughts?  

I'd consider Schenn the most important name there (thank you Captain Obvious) and figure he's going to get slightly north of $5 million.

Provorov could beat out Manning. If he doesn't there's going to be a lynch mob forming on this site...I'll let Hextall decide that and trust his decision. If we lose Manning I'm pretty confident we can sign another defenceman who has just as much chance of bringing us the cup.

Weal seems like an AHLer at this point. If we lose him I won't shed any tears.

Cousins should be kept on, depending on his wants. He can't be asking for a lot.

Since Manning, Cousins, and Weal were qualified, they will be re-signed - if the Flyers intended to let them walk they would have not qualified them, and they really can't not sign them now barring an (extremely unlikely) offer sheet. All three together should come in south of 2.5 million. I think the Schenn contract needs to fall into place first, then the others will happen.

Manning's QO had to be $687,500 or more

Weal $695,750

Cousins $937,125

Yeah these guys are figured into the equation and it was the reason they were qualified. I think it will get work out with camp and preseason to go.

And to earn a spot the guys will have to earn a spot to bump someone which i agree with. It's the way it should be.

And looking at the level of competition Ivan has to compete with to bump someone yes i can see him doing it.

I think TK will be a stretch to earn a spot i can see him going back to juniors.

It will all work out before the season starts.

53 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Since Manning, Cousins, and Weal were qualified, they will be re-signed - if the Flyers intended to let them walk they would have not qualified them, and they really can't not sign them now barring an (extremely unlikely) offer sheet. All three together should come in south of 2.5 million. I think the Schenn contract needs to fall into place first, then the others will happen.

Manning's QO had to be $687,500 or more

Weal $695,750

Cousins $937,125

Good point, AJ., which brings me to another questions....Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't sign your qualifying deal, you go to arbitration, right?  

If so, I thought the team had a right to walk away from an arbiter's ruling--making the player an immediate UFA?

Not saying any of these guys are going that route, more of a general question regarding the RFA process.....since you mentioned an offer sheet.  

I can't figure out Weal.  Didn't play last year, seems like a tweener between AHL/NHL and he can't be sent down without clearing waivers, which is why he wasn't sent down last year.  So, unless they are trying to include him in a future trade package, he looks to be an extra forward, seeing little ice time, for the Flyers again.  

Also,Hexy said he wants to be 2 million under the Cap...if everyone gets what we THINK they may get, that's not going to happen, barring a trade.  

AJ makes good points....good observation on Weal.  Honestly, I would hope they could scratch funds together for resigning Gagner at a resuscitation discount. But Hexy must have seen something.....

30 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Good point, AJ., which brings me to another questions....Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't sign your qualifying deal, you go to arbitration, right?  

If so, I thought the team had a right to walk away from an arbiter's ruling--making the player an immediate UFA?

Not saying any of these guys are going that route, more of a general question regarding the RFA process.....since you mentioned an offer sheet.  

I can't figure out Weal.  Didn't play last year, seems like a tweener between AHL/NHL and he can't be sent down without clearing waivers, which is why he wasn't sent down last year.  So, unless they are trying to include him in a future trade package, he looks to be an extra forward, seeing little ice time, for the Flyers again.  

Also,Hexy said he wants to be 2 million under the Cap...if everyone gets what we THINK they may get, that's not going to happen, barring a trade.  

No i think you have to elect to go. Either the player or team does.

And the team can walk away after the ruling.

Unless the team elected to go.

Then i think they can walk away still up until the player is awarded 3.9 mill then they have to honor that ruling.

17 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Only if the player or team elects arbitration. As far as I know, none of the above have.

I've thought all summer that Weal might get dealt. He's too close to an excellent AHL playoff run to pass through waivers, and he is not an ideal 13/14 forward.

16 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Only if the player or team elects arbitration. As far as I know, none of the above have.

I've thought all summer that Weal might get dealt. He's too close to an excellent AHL playoff run to pass through waivers, and he is not an ideal 13/14 forward.

Cool..thanks, AJ.  I just read that today is the deadline to file for arbitration.  Assuming Twitter is right, as it ALWAYS is.  LOL.

So for this season we have (status at end of season):

Streit (UFA)

Del Zotto (UFA)

Schultz (UFA)

MacDud

Ghost

Gudas

And Manning has been qualified, so that would leave us with 7 defensemen for the season - no room for Provorov unless someone is moved.

I don't think they would waive Manning, would they? Hextall was so reluctant to do it last year, and if they're going to bother re-signing him, I don't know that they would take that risk. He actually looked better and better as the season went on. They might bury MacDud again, and I would love that :)

It's a nice set up for the next few years where we might have another young defenseman or two join the fray.

I'm guessing they'll move Streit.

This is interesting (Please bear with me as I try to actualy get the darned thing to show up:

Untitled.jpg

ETA: NO. I am not trying to say Manning is as good as/better than Gostisbehere. But I wonder if I, among others, have been underappreciating him.

8 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Manning is fine as the 7th defenseman 

honestly, the team doesn't need a 7th dman on the roster.  they have macdonald for that.

Archived