Avs hire new coach ---> Jared Bednar

pilldoc

jpnKDujS_bigger.jpg Colorado AvalancheVerified account @Avalanche 39m39 minutes ago

BREAKING: The #Avs have hired Jared Bednar as the new head coach.

Jared Bednar  of the Avalanche is now one of 9 current NHL head coaches with a CalderCup title on his resume

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/colorado-avalanche-hire-jared-bednar-head-coach/

"Jared Bednar, who led the Lake Erie Monsters to a Calder Cup championship in the AHL last season, becomes the seventh coach in Avalanche history. The position became vacant after Patrick Roy stepped down earlier in August.

Bednar has been a head or assistant coach in the AHL since 2009-10 with the Abbotsford Heat, Peoria Rivermen, Springfield Falcons and the Monsters. Prior to that, he was the head coach of the ECHL’s South Carolina Stingrays and won a Kelly Cup championship with them in 2008-09.

Among the other coaches who were believed to be in contention to join the Avs were Kevin Dineen, Scott Arniel, Travis Green, Bob Boughner and Bob Hartley."

Great signing, he did one hell of a job with the Monsters last season, a rather non descript club who ran roughshod over the rest of the AHL in the postseason. I had heard whispers that Hartley was close to a deal but as much as I like Hartley and respect his coaching abilities new blood is what this team needs.

On 8/25/2016 at 4:32 PM, yave1964 said:

Great signing, he did one hell of a job with the Monsters last season, a rather non descript club who ran roughshod over the rest of the AHL in the postseason. I had heard whispers that Hartley was close to a deal but as much as I like Hartley and respect his coaching abilities new blood is what this team needs.

You are near LEM right? Any good scope on the guy? I am all Tampa but enjoy Colorado's team and want to know who this coach is. Anything like Coop?

1 hour ago, Severide said:

You are near LEM right? Any good scope on the guy? I am all Tampa but enjoy Colorado's team and want to know who this coach is. Anything like Coop?

I get to three or four Monster games a year usually, only two last year but I also watch the AHL on my laptop, (Huge Grand Rapids Griffins fan).

I watched every minute of all six games in the second round between my Griffs and the Monsters, I love studying styles of play, he is a coach who holds players accountable, the Monsters were a low scoring bunch who backchecked and never gave an inch, every inch of ice was contested every night. They had one really lousy game, the Griffins took it to them badly, he calmly changed goalies for the next game and just put the same guys back on the ice otherwise and they went on to win the series the next game, then steamrolled the final two rounds. Stifling defense, opportunistic forwards looking for breakaways but who helped on defense as well. I truly do  not think they were the most talented team in the playoffs but they won because of defense first and buying into his system. Quite frankly I was shocked nobody else took a shot at him sooner. GREAT signing.

On 8/27/2016 at 7:09 PM, yave1964 said:

I get to three or four Monster games a year usually, only two last year but I also watch the AHL on my laptop, (Huge Grand Rapids Griffins fan).

I watched every minute of all six games in the second round between my Griffs and the Monsters, I love studying styles of play, he is a coach who holds players accountable, the Monsters were a low scoring bunch who backchecked and never gave an inch, every inch of ice was contested every night. They had one really lousy game, the Griffins took it to them badly, he calmly changed goalies for the next game and just put the same guys back on the ice otherwise and they went on to win the series the next game, then steamrolled the final two rounds. Stifling defense, opportunistic forwards looking for breakaways but who helped on defense as well. I truly do  not think they were the most talented team in the playoffs but they won because of defense first and buying into his system. Quite frankly I was shocked nobody else took a shot at him sooner. GREAT signing.

How was Pratt with him? Any idea? -- also thanks for the insight.

• 3 months later...

I feel for Bednar. The situation in Colorado is only going to get worse before it gets better. I get Sakic not wanting to part with Duchene, Landeskog or a multitude of guys, but this is a franchise that needs a lot of work. It's clear that while the parts are incredibly talented, there isn't a fit. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I feel for Bednar. The situation in Colorado is only going to get worse before it gets better. I get Sakic not wanting to part with Duchene, Landeskog or a multitude of guys, but this is a franchise that needs a lot of work. It's clear that while the parts are incredibly talented, there isn't a fit. 

Yeah a classic case of the whole not being the sum of its parts.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah a classic case of the whole not being the sum of its parts.

I think it's going to get real ugly once the deals start happening. On HF Boards, Avs fans are convinced that they're going to get top 2 defenders for both Duchene and Landeskog. I proposed a Schenn and Friedman for Landeskog deal and I had an Avs lose his collective crap. I tried telling him that whenever a player of Landeskog's caliber is moved, it's usually for lesser than what people think. The guy went on to call a Friedman a C level prospect (which is a complete insult, especially when you consider that Friedman is a more complete player than Gostisbehere was at the same age and might end up being a better pro, but I digress) and stated that 25 year olds with good contracts and aren't problem children are never moved. Once again, I think the return on Landeskog is going to be a lot less than what Avs fans think. Same with Duchene. The TGMs of other teams are going to see that these guys, as talented as they are, couldn't bring their teams to the next level and that's going to affect their value.

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think it's going to get real ugly once the deals start happening. On HF Boards, Avs fans are convinced that they're going to get top 2 defenders for both Duchene and Landeskog. I proposed a Schenn and Friedman for Landeskog deal and I had an Avs lose his collective crap. I tried telling him that whenever a player of Landeskog's caliber is moved, it's usually for lesser than what people think. The guy went on to call a Friedman a C level prospect (which is a complete insult, especially when you consider that Friedman is a more complete player than Gostisbehere was at the same age and might end up being a better pro, but I digress) and stated that 25 year olds with good contracts and aren't problem children are never moved. Once again, I think the return on Landeskog is going to be a lot less than what Avs fans think. Same with Duchene. The TGMs of other teams are going to see that these guys, as talented as they are, couldn't bring their teams to the next level and that's going to affect their value.

On the surface, the Avs are deep at forward. Duchene seems like the ideal guy to move. Landeskog just got back from injury(poor guy, to a 10-1 drubbing)

But the Avs fan has a point. If moving a prospect for a guy like Landeskog, they are going to want to fix their glaring hole long term. And that is defense. For a prospect level player, Sanheim or Morin is who Sakic is going to want. You probably don't give them Schenn in that deal either as that would be too much on your end.

Ghost was a highly touted offensive prospect who I picked up in my work league seconds after he was called up because I had a strong inclination to believe he would be very good and would be used on the PP. Did the same thing with Werenski this year. Every sign pointed to Ghost being at least a 2nd pairing offensive Dman. I pulled my hair out when the Jackets picked Werenski 1 pick before the sharks.

Friedman is a guy who projects as a bottom pairing 5-6 or spare Dman, possibly 4th Dman if everything goes perfectly. Not what the avs need.

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Aves farm doesn't look good either.  Sakic was a great player but he doesn't know how to draft.  He's Homer like.

They cannot score, they give up an insane amount of shots and have the worst goalies in the NHL. Nothing in the pipeline to write home about other than Rantanen.  They have slipped to the bottom but as the saying goes, nowhere to go but up.....

I see Duchene being dealt at the deadline or sooner, he is having an odd year, 11 goals, every single one on the road, almost as if he is auditioning for other teams in their barns. He would look good with the Habs right now with losing Desharnnais and Chucky for two months.

Maybe Roy was a better coach than given credit for, he at least had them competitive night in and out. That coming from me is saying something, as a Wing fan I still have a low simmering hatred for him, lol.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Maybe Roy was a better coach than given credit for, he at least had them competitive night in and out. That coming from me is saying something, as a Wing fan I still have a low simmering hatred for him, lol.

I think this is right. Despite our detest for him, the guy doesn't know how NOT to compete. That kind of thing is contagious, and it changes a team, when it goes away.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:29 AM, SpikeDDS said:

I think this is right. Despite our detest for him, the guy doesn't know how NOT to compete. That kind of thing is contagious, and it changes a team, when it goes away.

Patty was a good coach. He just had a problem with owners (Stan and Ann Kroenke) and team President (Josh Kroenke) about having more say with the Avs moves and money being spent. He got along with Sakic but butted heads too many times with upper management. I think the Avs screwed up by relieving Patty of his duties.

24 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

Patty was a good coach. He just had a problem with owners (Stan and Ann Kroenke) and team President (Josh Kroenke) about having more say with the Avs moves and money being spent. He got along with Sakic but butted heads too many times with upper management. I think the Avs screwed up by relieving Patty of his duties.

Roy was not relieved of his duties, he quit with a month until the season started in a huff. Every game the Avalanche plays it seems to justify Roy's frustration.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Roy was not relieved of his duties, he quit with a month until the season started in a huff. Every game the Avalanche plays it seems to justify Roy's frustration.

Yes he did quit but was told by management that he was going to let be let go. He took the high road.

Has anyone else noticed that the Avs coach looks like he was the model for hockey coaches in every NHL video game? The next time you fire up a hockey video game and they cut to a shot of the bench you will see Jared Bednar!

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, yave1964 said:

A month into the season....why??? Because Kroenke didn't want to throw any money into the team. Patrick wanted and needed some changes. Didn't happen. So far, you can justify some. Injuries and inconsistent play. There was some structure with Patty. With Bednar, its a dysfunctional style of the Barnam and Bailey Circus.

Archived