Sportsnet's Season Opening Power Rankings

hf101

The folks at Sportsnet.ca has compiled their first set of power rankings for the season compared to their final rankings last spring.

What do you all think?

Today Team Previous
1 Lightning Hockey Forum 12
2 Capitals Hockey Forum 1
3 Blackhawks Hockey Forum 5
4 Predators Hockey Forum 14
5 Sharks Hockey Forum 11
6 Penguins Hockey Forum 4
7 Blues Hockey Forum 3
8 Stars Hockey Forum 2
9 Ducks Hockey Forum 3
10 Islanders Hockey Forum 10
11 Kings Hockey Forum 8
12 Canadiens Hockey Forum 22
13 Avalanche Hockey Forum 21
14 Bruins Hockey Forum 16
15 Wild Hockey Forum 17
16 Rangers Hockey Forum 9
17 Panthers Hockey Forum 7
18 Flames Hockey Forum 26
19 Jets Hockey Forum 25
20 Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum 15
21 Senators Hockey Forum 19
22 Sabres Hockey Forum 23
23 Flyers Hockey Forum 13
24 Devils Hockey Forum 20
25 Hurricanes Hockey Forum 18
26 Oilers Hockey Forum 29
27 Coyotes Hockey Forum 24
28 Maple Leafs Hockey Forum 30
29 Blue Jackets Hockey Forum 27
30 Canucks Hockey Forum 28

Maybe because I'm looking at this list with orange sunglasses but I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion that the Flyers are a much worse team than what they finished last season?  ... Let alone to mention that the Sabres are a step better...  omg...

:HahaNO:

Let the games begin...

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Some gold in the comments:

"Why are the Canucks ranked 30th?" "Because there's no 31st."

"How did the Leafs make it into the top 30?"

That's awesome, I'm still trying to figure out what the Flyers did to drop them 10 positions?   Who did we lose from the off season?  

1. Umberger

2. Gagner

What did we gain?  Gordon, Weise, Provorov and Konecny  --- how is that worse?  ... just maybe the rankings are because we have 2 suspensions...  but geez they haven't even played.

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

That's awesome, I'm still trying to figure out what the Flyers did to drop them 10 positions?   Who did we lose from the off season?  

1. Umberger

2. Gagner

What did we gain?  Gordon, Weise, Provorov and Konecny  --- how is that worse?  ... just maybe the rankings are because we have 2 suspensions...  but geez they haven't even played.

You forgot White.

But you're right. 23rd??

What a joke.

27 minutes ago, hf101 said:

1. Umberger

2. Gagner

I just look at the teams slotted ahead of them. Ottawa and Boston finished below them and didn't do anything to improve. Winnipeg got better by losing Pavelec, but otherwise I'm not sure how much better they are. Buffalo still has Lehner as their #1. I'd say the Rangers are a toss up. Calgary did get better with their goaltending. I think they eclipse Detroit this year. So I'd have them around 17-18.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

What did the Preds do to be ranked 4th?

Swapped Weber for PK. I'll have see to believe that makes them better.

Added Matt Carle????

That is it. 4th?

No way.

Preds have been on a steady rise for a few seasons now.

Adding Subban just by himself wouldn't be such a big deal, but the fact that guys like Filip Forsberg and Calle Jarnkrok are expected to be better, and vets like James Neal and Pekka Rinne are still playing at a high level in conjunction with adding a Subban, I think, makes the Preds hard to ignore now.

Ryan Johanson and an underrated Craig Smith add to the mix as well.

And let's not forget their top 4 D: the aforementioned Subban, Ryan Ellis, Roman Josi, and Mattias Ekholm.

Very fluid, puck moving group.

I had the Preds in the Finals last year. Obviously didn't work out for them, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they made it there this year.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah woah nelly let's slow down. Let's get TO the conference finals 1st for this franchise 1st.

Just sayin...Smashville has all the ingredients to get there.

They looked pretty damned good in last year's playoffs against the Ducks, beat them, and gave San Jose all they could handle before losing to them in 7 games.

Not out of the realm of possibility to see the Preds in the Finals since I feel they have improved themselves this off season by not only the addition of Subban, but the experience gained by their younger players and continued good play by their vets as well.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Just sayin...Smashville has all the ingredients to get there.

They looked pretty damned good in last year's playoffs against the Ducks, beat them, and gave San Jose all they could handle before losing to them in 7 games.

Not out of the realm of possibility to see the Preds in the Finals since I feel they have improved themselves this off season by not only the addition of Subban, but the experience gained by their younger players and continued good play by their vets as well.

They are the Western version of the Capitals. Do good in the regular season come playoff time they fold.

SMFH.

#noworries

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are the Western version of the Capitals. Do good in the regular season come playoff time they fold.

SMFH.

#noworries

Nah, not with Peter Laviolette at the helm.

I think he has his guys much more balanced than Trotz did when he managed the Preds.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Nah, not with Peter Laviolette at the helm.

I think he has his guys much more balanced than Trotz did when he managed the Preds.

I'll believe it when i see it.

Archived