Can we try this again?

icehole

8 hours ago, icehole said:

Moderators are probably like "oh no"!

I want to start by apologizing for going off the other day.  I do come here to vent.  All I want to do is talk hockey, and this is the only outlet I have.  So when I bring up a valid topic and the first two replies I get are emojis and "you know nothing about hockey", even though I've been watching hockey for 30 years, that disturbs me.  If you disagree, just tell me why.  Then we can go back and forth in a civil manner.  Again, that's why I'm here...to have a conversation about hockey.

I haven't been the most positive person on here for the most part, because it's hard for me to see the positives.  The team has been very disappointing for the past 5 years or so.  This year, after hearing so many good things about the rookies and the fact that they were going to make the team, I'm quite disappointed in the first 4 games.  They can certainly turn it around, but we're not there yet.  I want to talk about where they are now.

I'd like to clear the air a little from the last locked thread.

@murraycraven @flyercanuck

You probably know more about hockey than I do.  I've been watching for 30 years though.  I watch almost every game, frequent the NHL network, and watch a lot of YouTube videos.  I've seen what is successful and I've seen what doesn't work.  I've never played organized ice hockey, but I can skate, and I have played in-line.  I know how to shoot and pass.  To say I know nothing about hockey because I disagree with your assessments isn't very accurate.  If you know something I don't because of your experience, explain why you think I'm wrong.  If I still disagree, we can have a nice little debate.

@DaGreatGazoo

I think "skating" was the wrong word to use.  Provorov can probably skate, but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the "pace" of the NHL yet.  I think we saw that again last night.  I believe that 19 year olds that can't handle the pace of the NHL should go back to juniors.

I was 99% sure he could go back to juniors if he only plays 9 NHL games.  I didn't appreciate you telling me I was completely wrong and that it isn't possible to go back to juniors.  If it was an honest mistake, no hard feelings...let's move on.

@Podein25

If I don't explain myself well enough, I apologize.  I'll try harder.

@murraycraven

You are right.  I am too extreme with couturier.  I made that comment after the first game, but I shouldn't have.  One game doesn't show me enough.  I still think this will be his best year because of better linemates, but I don't think he's a 25/60 guy.  We shall see.

@OccamsRazor

As I said to dagreatgazoo, skating was the wrong choice of words.  Provorov just isn't ready for the pace of the game yet.  It's not instinctive to him yet and he's out of position.  Last night, he had another moment that gave up a goal.  I'd rather have him grow before he is on the Flyers.  I also think he is smaller than I'd like for the Flyers.  Perry stuck out his butt last night and almost knocked Provorov over.  Without the acting from perry, I don't know how much Provorov would have moved him after the whistle.  Guys like perry need to be moved from in front of the net or things aren't going to be good.

@Poulin20

You're exactly right.  I need to vent and I wear my heart on my sleeve.  I have a 3 year old and don't leave the house much.  A flyers forum is the only place to talk hockey.  I am very stubborn sometimes because I think I'm right and I won't back down until I prove I'm right.  I think that rubs people the wrong way.

Awesome post ice. As previously mentioned, clean slate all around.

I think you'll realize if you bring a little positive you'll get the same back. I'm not talking about all of us agreeing with each other all the time....none of us do that. And nobody here is happy with the Flyers start.

Provorov will be just fine...people are seeing what can happen with a kid in the NHL. Most can't handle it. I'd bet Ghost would have been just as bad as a 19 year old, and that Provorov will be every bit as good as Ghost, but in a less spectacular and more well rounded way, by the time he's 23.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not talking about all of us agreeing with each other all the time....none of us do that.

Yeah especially that dirty bear......gotta watch that lurking bear...

200.gif#10

10 hours ago, icehole said:

@OccamsRazor

I know what you mean about streit. If the flyers were a bad Florida team or Arizona, I wouldnt mind keeping Provorov in there to get experience.  This is the Flyers though and they're expected (at least by me) to make progress from last year, which means at least a 2nd round in the playoffs.  From what I've seen in the first 4 games, I think he's a liability and hurts the flyers chances to make that progress.  If this continues throughout the season and the flyers miss the playoffs, it could go bad for him really quick.  I keep thinking about his face on the bench in the Hawks game, and that looks like broken confidence already.

I still want to give him 5 more games to see what happens. I guess I was expecting a debut a little more like Ghost, but maybe that has something to do with the age difference.

All due respect I went going into this year thinking this is yet of course another growing season and wouldn't be surprised if we did not make it into the playoffs at all.

Lets not forget this team was not playing well up until Ghost came in and he was on fire the entire year into the playoffs. He was the only reason why we even got in last year....

So again Ghost aside we can not count on one player doing that every game every year especially Ghost is entering his Sophomore year "kinda".

It is normal for a team this young and new not just on the ice but off of it to take steps forward and back its growing pains.

As for Provorov the kid is 19 years old and a dman at that. It will take YEARS before we see his true potential. Where I am at I hardly see any games but Provy from what I can tell has all the tools and I think he is in such a rush to make a great play all the time he forgets to just keep it simple like when he fell the other night he was skating so hard to get to the puck to make a play and crossed his skates and fell instead of just slapping it away into the boards. A rookie mistake not a sign of a bad player I think hes been one of the only bright spots aside from Ghost on the defense....

On 10/21/2016 at 3:14 PM, murraycraven said:

Streit is damaged goods... I have always liked him but I truly think age is catching up and he is better off getting less minutes.

yeah, this is mercifully his last year. He looks shot to me too.

Archived