Game #11 - Red Wings (3) at Flyers (4) - Nov 2, 2016 @ 8:00 ET

AlaskaFlyerFan

I can't believe no one started a thread yet!!
Preview: Flyers vs. Red Wings

Starting yet another gauntlet of three games in four nights, Dave Hakstol's Philadelphia Flyers (4-5-1) are home on Wednesday to take on Jeff Blashill's Detroit Red Wings (6-4-0). Game time at the Wells Fargo Center is 8:00 p.m. ET. The game will be televised nationally on NBCSN.

This is the first of meetings between the teams this season, and the first of two in Philadelphia. The teams will face off at Wells Fargo Center again on Nov. 8 before the season series concludes in Detroit on Dec. 11. The Flyers bring an 11-game regular season home winning streak against the Red Wings into this game, dating back to a 4-1 matinee loss on Jan. 25, 1997.

After playing a grueling stretch of six games in nine nights, the Flyers took a complete off day on Monday and practiced on Tuesday. The Red Wings last played on Saturday.

Flyers Outlook

The Flyers skated to a much-needed if somewhat inartistic 4-3 road win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday night. Three of the Philadelphia goals came from defensemen Shayne Gostisbehere (power play), Radko Gudas, and Brandon Manning (third period game-winning shorthanded tally) plus one from team captain Claude Giroux.

In goal, starter Michal Neuvirth survived some rebound-control misadventures. He made the first-period and third-period saves he needed to make for the team to overcome a three-goal Carolina second period and then hold on for a one-goal win despite tired legs. Neuvirth, who played a stellar game in the Flyers' 2-1 shootout win in Detroit in the middle of last season (Jan. 17, 2016), appears likely to get the starting nod for the second straight game.

Offensively, the Flyers have been scoring goals by the bushels. Giroux (two goals, 10 assists), Wayne Simmonds (six goals, five assists) and Jakub Voracek (five goals, five assists) are all averaging at least one point per game, and three other players (Gostisbehere, Manning and rookie left winger Travis Konecny) have all posted seven points. Giroux brings an eight-game point streak into this tilt.

The bad news for the Flyers been that the team defense has been spotty -- with both defensemen and forwards having plenty of blame to go around. Additionally, the overall goaltending of both Neuvirth and Steve Mason in the early going has been a full notch below the standards they've set over their previous bodies of work with the team.

Flyers general manager Ron Hextall reported on Monday after practice that left winger Michael Raffl is close to being ready to play and was "possible but not probable" to play in this game. Earlier, Raffl himself declared that he felt ready to go but stopped short of saying he'd be in the lineup against Detroit, saying he'd see how he felt.

When Raffl comes off the injured reserve list, veteran checking center Boyd Gordon will be placed on IR. The Flyers announced on Tuesday that Gordon will miss approximately a week with an upper-body injury.

Michael Del Zotto may be ready to come off the long-term injured reserve list for Saturday's game in Montreal. Scott Laughton is also just about ready to exit LTIR.

Chris VandeVelde did not practice with the team on Tuesday but is expected to play on Wednesday. On Tuesday, he took off to be with his wife, who was delivering a baby.

Red Wings Outlook

Detroit enters this game coming off a 5-2 home loss to Florida. The Panthers jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period and never looked back as former Dallas Stars forward Colton Sceviour compiled a hat trick on power play, shorthanded and even strength goals. In a losing cause, Dylan Larkin scored his third goal of the season and Brendan Smith notched his first.

Detroit generated its share of scoring chances, but James Reimer had a strong game in net. In the meantime, Red Wings starter Petr Mrazek was roughed up for four goals on 10 shots but three of the tallies (a deflection in front, a point blank shot from the slot and a two-on-one rush where he had little chance of getting over) were pretty much unstoppable. In relief, veteran Jimmy Howard made 13 saves on 14 shots.

Veteran sniper Thomas Vanek, who leads the team with eight points (four goals, four assists) in just seven games played, is week-to-week with a lower-body injury and is unavailable for this tilt. Hard-hitting defenseman Niklas Kronwall, who has yet to play this season due to a chronic knee issue, is said to be "getting close" to playing.

Forward Gustav Nyquist leads the available Red Wings players with eight points (three goals, five assists), while Darren Helm's four tallies pace the squad in goal-scoring.

Projected Lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

10 Brayden Schenn - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
11 Travis Konecny - 14 Sean Couturier - 92 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 76 P-E Bellemare - 13 Roman Lyubimov
76 Chris VandeVelde - 25 Nick Cousins - 22 Dale Weise

23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas
9 Ivan Provorov - 32 Mark Streit
47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

30 Michal Neuvirth
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: Michael Del Zotto (LTIR), Scott Laughton (LTIR), Michael Raffl (IR, upper body), Nick Schultz (healthy), Boyd Gordon (upper body).

RED WINGS

14 Gustav Nyquist - 51 Frans Nielsen - 71 Dylan Larkin
21 Tomas Tatar - 40 Henrik Zetterberg - 8 Justin Abdelkader
72 Andreas Athanasiou - 43 Darren Helm - 15 Riley Sheahan
20 Drew Miller - 41 Luke Glendening - 29 Steve Ott

65 Danny DeKeyser - 25 Mike Green
52 Jonathan Ericsson - 53 Alexei Marchenko
2 Brendan Smith - 61 Xavier Ouellet

34 Petr Mrazek
[35 Jimmy Howard]

Scratches: Ryan Sproul (healthy), Thomas Vanek (lower body), Niklas Kronwall (IR, knee), Tomas Jurco (back), Joe Vitale (LTIR, concussion), Johan Franzén (LTIR, post-concussion syndrome).

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

Don't hold your breath!

Why not?

Flyers, despite the goaltending woes, actually have a highly ranked PP this year...and Streit is not bad at all on it.

Now, if the PP numbers plummet, then ok, I will turn blue from holding my breath, but Detroit has a somewhat average PK, so I am banking the Flyers, win or lose, will at least tax them with the PP.

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Why not?

Flyers, despite the goaltending woes, actually have a highly ranked PP this year...and Streit is not bad at all on it.

Now, if the PP numbers plummet, then ok, I will turn blue from holding my breath, but Detroit has a somewhat average PK, so I am banking the Flyers, win or lose, will at least tax them with the PP.

Sorry, he might get his chances but Streit doesn't even belong on the first PP.

I like Streit but his point days are limited anymore

46 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Why not?

Assist by MS!

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Why not?

Now, if the PP numbers plummet, then ok, I will turn blue from holding my breath, but Detroit has a somewhat average PK, so I am banking the Flyers, win or lose, will at least tax them with the PPP

Keep playing MS!

Archived