Smokin Red Hot Teams!

TropicalFruitGirl26

Red Hot.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers ---- 10 game win streak, next game today, @ Dallas

Columbus Blue Jackets--- 8 game win streak, next game, tomorrow, @ Vancouver

Washington Capitals------ 6 games win streak, next game, today, home vs Montreal

Minnesota Wild ------------ 6 game win streak, next game, today, at home vs Arizona

Honorable mentions:

San Jose Sharks---- 4 game win streak, winners of 10 of their last 13, next game, tomorrow @ Chicago

Chicago Blackhawks--- 3 game win streak, winners of 4 out of their last 5, next game, tomorrow vs the above red hot Sharks

Los Angeles Kings-- "only" a 2 game win streak, but overall, winners of 9 of their last 13, next game, tomorrow @ Boston

New York Rangers-- sneaking in with a win on Thurs over Dallas, but overall, winners of 5 of their last 7, next game today, @ Nashville

My original question was going to be, "Who blinks first?", but since the Hawks n Sharks play EACH OTHER, we know damn well one of them are gonna lose one next game....

Ahhh, but they don't play till tomorrow!

Which leaves the Flyers, Caps, Rangers, and Wild as teams playing today that could lose one first!

So do the Stars, Canucks, Predators, and Coyotes have what it takes to knock down the Flyers, Jackets, Rangers, and Wild respectively today?

Also, of the red hot teams, do they ALL make the playoffs, or are some just living a mirage at the moment?

All of the "red hot" teams make it, except for Columbus. I just don't trust any team coached by Tortorella not to eventually implode, nor do I trust their secondary scoring to be consistent enough down the stretch.

You left out the -ugh- Penguins. They lost in OT last night, but had gone 7 straight.

As far as the playoffs go, it's still early, but the race seems to be starting to hash itself out. 5 metro teams, Pittsburgh, NYR, Columbus, Washington, and Philly sit in position right now. Normally, you'd say "it's early," and it still is, but the Flyers in the 2nd wild card have an 8 point lead on the next team, Florida. Some of the teams behind them have games in hand, but they'd still sit 5-7 points back if they win those.

Out west is a little tighter, but the teams out of the playoffs aren't playing particularly good hockey right now. I think LA sans quick is the most likely team of the whole list to miss, but I just don't know who's going to pick up and oust them. Chicago's got a 5 point lead on the conference, and they have too much experience to implode. If anything, I could see the wheels falling off in St. Louis and them falling to a wild card or out.

Just now, FD19372 said:

All of the "red hot" teams make it, except for Columbus. I just don't trust any team coached by Tortorella not to eventually implode, nor do I trust their secondary scoring to be consistent enough down the stretch.

I think Columbus gets in. Last year was surprising in that they didn't take a step forward. This year I think they're for real. Plus, they have a 9 point lead on Florida, and have played the fewest games in the East. 

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I think Columbus gets in. Last year was surprising in that they didn't take a step forward. This year I think they're for real. Plus, they have a 9 point lead on Florida, and have played the fewest games in the Eas

Barring and injury to Bob, yeah, they get in easily.   I, too, am not a Torts fan.  At all.   I agree his team will eventually implode, but it won't be next year.   

They may actually be a dangerous team once in the playoffs.  They could go a couple rounds.   

Man....both the ARZ-MIN game and the PHI-DAL game are on at the exact same time this afternoon!

I would be interested in watching both, but I can only watch one at a time in it's entirety!

Both feature thread titled 'red hot teams'...and both have a legit shot to extend their streaks.

Also, I have FHL players on Minnesota and Philadelphia...

What to do, what to do...........   :)

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Barring and injury to Bob, yeah, they get in easily.   I, too, am not a Torts fan.  At all.   I agree his team will eventually implode, but it won't be next year.   

They may actually be a dangerous team once in the playoffs.  They could go a couple rounds.   

Told ya. And they are doing this with Jenner not yet finding his game and Dubinsky is not doing well, they actually have room for improvement.

And while Bob is playing lights out, they have two extremely good prospects in Cleveland named Korpisalo and Forsberg who push each other. Not saying these two would put up a one something goals against but both are capable, they carried the team between them to the Calder cup last year.

I agree that Columbus can get in.

I mean, really, injuries have been their main nemesis the last few seasons.

They should have been contenders all along...and now, barring the injuries like has been mentioned in previous posts, they look like they are doing what they should have been before: winning, and doing it convincingly.

Say what you want about John Tortorella, people, but the man FIXES what is broken.

He has a track record of doing so.

Sure, his style wears on a team after a while, but there is no doubt in my mind that if you have a broken team, or a bunch of babies on your squad, call in J. Torts, and he will fix it, slap the babies upside their heads till they act like men, and just generally get a franchise going in the right direction.

And nevermind that fiasco of a stint he had with the Canucks.

I always said from the get-go that Torts was NOT a fit for the soft, yet firmly entrenched Vancouver Canucks led by the Sedins.

On top of all that, the Canucks STILL thought they were a contender at the time, meanwhile, Tortorella knew all along that team needed a flippin enema (they STILL do!)...but wasn't allowed to follow through on what he does best before being relieved.

At any rate, Columbus is the real deal.....buuuuuttt, and Flyer fans may hate me for this, I have my suspicions about Philly keeping up this type of play the rest of the season.

They are STILL fundamentally the same team they were when the season started......personally, I think it is a matter of time before Mason's carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

Meanwhile, the young Flyers on the team will continue to improve, but will be hard pressed to continue this amazing run the Flyers are on.

The problem with Torts is that he does fix what's broken... While breaking several other things. 

If he's going to win with a team, it has to be early in his stay (this year qualifies for that. Maybe next year). Then his half life expires and the players would rather see him dead. 

Jackets and Wild continue their streaks (11 and 9 respectively), and it looks like the Sens and Oil are trying to build up streaks of their own, winning 4 and 3 in a row respectively.

Columbus not only has their 11 gamer intact, they have powered themselves right to the top of the Metro division and did it in grand fashion by dismantling the defending SC Champion Penguins 7-1 last game out.

Wild, meanwhile, despite the nice streak, sit in 2nd in the Central, still trailing the leading Hawks by 4 pts.

52 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

dismantling the defending SC Champion Penguins 7-1 last game out

Always good to see the Pens get blasted. Hopefully the Blue Jackets caused Doc Emrick,, Ed Olczyk, Regis McGuire, Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey to shed a few tears as a result. If so, then thank you Fonzie, Hartnell and Sam Gagner!!

• 2 months later...

Thread bump, as teams are STILL not done showcasing some impressive streaks.

---Currently, the Penguins (again...ugh... haha) are on a 5-gamer while winning 7 of their last 10.

---The Montreal Canadiens, though they were shut out by another red hot team in Calgary recently, had a nice 6-gamer going and right now, are still winners of 8 of their last 10 games.

I STILL say they fall flat in the playoffs... :devil:

---Right behind the Habs in the standings, we have the Ottawa Senators, who are currently riding a 6 game win streak, and have won 10 of their last 13.

Man, these Sens. NO ONE saw this coming from these guys. And though they are TB Lightning division rivals, I am secretly rooting for these guys as I have ALWAYS been a fan of Guy Boucher and thought his coaching styles were a bit ahead of their time when he first coached in the NHL.....he and his players are proving that heart, brains, and execution are just as important as talent....and the Sens have that too!

---Boston, Toronto, and Tampa Bay...no prolonged win streaks but playing well enough to keep the wild card spots interesting, though Boston did, about a month ago, did have a run that saw them win 9 of 12.

---Columbus, NY Rangers, NY Islanders...ditto as the above. I think the Jackets and Rangers have a better than average shot to get in...jury is still out on the Isles.

---Out West, the longest current win streak goes to the Calgary (!) Flames, who on a 9-game binge right now, and winners of 14 out of their last 17. Nuts I tell ya, but well deserved for this Flames squad who took several steps backwards last season, but look to get into the post season this year. I think they get in.

Brian Elliot who?? Ohhhh, THAT Brian Elliot....back from the dead, and helping by playing some of his best hockey he has in years!

---The Blackhawks and Wild, no current long win streak, but both have continued to play very well as of late...though Minnesota seems to have hit a bit of tailspin in uneven play lately. Still though, they are neck n neck with Chicago for the overall top spot in the West and both should get into the post season.

---The Sharks look to finally claim ownership of the Pacific. No current long win streak, but 7 out of 10 and sitting atop their division is nothing to sneeze at.

Archived