Game 38: Flyers Vs. Sharks, 12/30 @10

Howie58

Greetings:

Can we compete after two turkeys?  Mase is starting again to my surprise but he's played well half way through the first. Konecny is a healthy scratch ...a signal from Boss Hakstol.  

We look slow and small to start.

Both Weise and  Gordon are USELESS. The grit they add is in the form of jello. Lubymov(sp?) and Leier would add more to this team than these 2 guys have. This was a very hard game to watch with all the clutch and grab they have let back into the game. You know it is not going to be a good game when one of the refs is wearing a San Jose undershirt............

After a night's sleep, here's my take:

1)  Mason and Stolarz can't be faulted.  Stolarz may have a very bright future. I liked his lateral mobility and rebound control. 

2)  Other than Voracek, I did not see any player who consistently got into the Sharks' attack zone.  We got desperate too late in the game.  But as our announcers noted--Dell's shutout was pretty easy.

3)  Yes, our D is lacking a Porch Clearer (Morin...get your sh..t together and come up).  

4)  Yes, the D may be 2nd tier, but I am afraid that like Flyers' teams of the past five years, we still get into stretches where it is hard to mount an offense.  Top teams in this league roll four lines and get balanced scoring. I am afraid we are moving to a 1.5 line + D offense.  That may not work.  By the way, I think our third and fourth lines work...but work ethic may not overcome lack of skill/size.

5) I hate to harp on Weise but it is frustrating to watch someone who makes chances but can't seem to finish the job. He is a lesson in paying attention to the immediate past to get a feel for the future.  Yes, he had 14 goals in MTL...but in Chicago he was a non-entity. . . . . . . 

Hextall needs to start work on our lines...We need size. And I really wish he had a sniper.  I think opposing teams can almost snooze if they stop our top line.  

Sorry for the dump.   Happy New Year to the Gang!

Didn't see the game. But from the highlights i seen Ivan looked to have had the best scoring chances...which isn't good.

2 goals scored in the last 3 games it's hard to put it on the goalie.

Once again the Flyers make another backup look good. Dell getting his 1st NHL shutout. Yikes.

Not sure why Simmer didn't pass that to Coots on the short handed 2 on 1 there Coots was wide open. Instead Simmer takes the very low percentage shot.

That in a nutshell is what is wrong with this club right now....flatlining between the ears....to much egg nog not sure.

And i don't know what all the complaining about Weise is about he looks like he fits in...

...nailing the goaltender dead center of the chest with his shots!!!!

:toast:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure why Simmer didn't pass that to Coots on the short handed 2 on 1 there Coots was wide open. Instead Simmer takes the very low percentage shot.

Probably because it would be a very low percentage that Couturier would actually score.  :bigteeth:

Only saw the last 25 mins or so - Flyers looked asleep or uninterested in competing - then again maybe SJ is just that much better. I watched them beat the Ducks a few games back and they are good - disciplined and plenty of fire power. Maybe the Flyers just can't compete with good teams like the Sharks. It would've been nice to meet them when the Flyers were on their 10-game roll but I suspect the streak would've ended vs. SJ.

The one bright spot was Stolarz (again). Stopping Marleau on 2 wraparounds showed how quick he is, also how well he tracks the puck when it's out of sight. The other thread asks "Is Stolarz ready?" and going by the small sample so far the answer is certainly YES. Provorov is another bright spot - I think he's the only rookie who leads his team in ice time and for good reason: this kid is a real gem.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

After a night's sleep, here's my take:

1)  Mason and Stolarz can't be faulted.  Stolarz may have a very bright future. I liked his lateral mobility and rebound control. 

2)  Other than Voracek, I did not see any player who consistently got into the Sharks' attack zone.  We got desperate too late in the game.  But as our announcers noted--Dell's shutout was pretty easy.

3)  Yes, our D is lacking a Porch Clearer (Morin...get your sh..t together and come up).  

4)  Yes, the D may be 2nd tier, but I am afraid that like Flyers' teams of the past five years, we still get into stretches where it is hard to mount an offense.  Top teams in this league roll four lines and get balanced scoring. I am afraid we are moving to a 1.5 line + D offense.  That may not work.  By the way, I think our third and fourth lines work...but work ethic may not overcome lack of skill/size.

5) I hate to harp on Weise but it is frustrating to watch someone who makes chances but can't seem to finish the job. He is a lesson in paying attention to the immediate past to get a feel for the future.  Yes, he had 14 goals in MTL...but in Chicago he was a non-entity. . . . . . . 

Hextall needs to start work on our lines...We need size. And I really wish he had a sniper.  I think opposing teams can almost snooze if they stop our top line.  

Sorry for the dump.   Happy New Year to the Gang!

Happy New Years to you too Howie.

1. Yes our goalies played a solid game.  This could have easily been a 6-0 embarrassment.

2. Flyers looks scared to be hit and were too slow to the open pucks.

3. The Sharks are just a much bigger team and they out- muscled us which allowed them time in space in the offensive zone.  This was a game Gudas was much needed to play in.

4.  I think we were rolling 4 lines, until Hakstol must have noticed that the Couturier line sucked giving them less playing time in the 3rd.

5. Maybe switch some of that frustration of Weise to Couturier.  :tongue:

On one hand it may be genious of Hakstol to have benched Konecny, as he got to watch a really good team (Sharks) play.

**** The most impressive play on the ice for the Flyers was the classiness of Simmonds and Voracek calling for the San Jose trainers the second Vlassic was hit in the face with the puck.

I just read the Flyers are 1-12-2-5 vs the Sharks in their last 20 matchups. No excuse but obviously the Sharks have the Flyers' number - and have for awhile now. One win in 20 games...reminds me of the way the Flyers used to own the Isles.

11 minutes ago, canoli said:

The one bright spot was Stolarz (again). Stopping Marleau on 2 wraparounds showed how quick he is, also how well he tracks the puck when it's out of sight.

Sweet shoulders save. I say let the kid play...WTF not???

:beer:

12 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The Sharks are just a much bigger team and they out- muscled us which allowed them time in space in the offensive zone.  This was a game Gudas was much needed to play in.

It is why i suggested calling up Greg Carey up he is a true LW and is bigger (6-0 198) than Leier and can light the lamp...was leading the AHL in goals till last night.

Flyers need scoring and he may provide it. It can't hurt to look within. Hell what else are the AHL guys for if you can call them up when they are playing well and the BIG club needs a spark???

Archived