Sanheim continuing to evolve his game at the pro level

NRH

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

good to hear, but I still think he's behind Morin and Hagg in terms of call-ups at this moment 

No need to rush him.  Especially not while Streit and MDZ are still around.  And probably after they're gone too.

Travis can make his case in September or if the Flyers get desperate due to trades and injury in March and hopefully April.  

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree...though Sanheim should end up with the better career.

All the more reason not to rush him just becasue we can send Mac back down.

If Hexy can make a few deals for the UFA's and there's a little more breathing room, then we can think about moving Travis up for a trial run.  Otherwise, I'm happy to let him get more miles in and keep growing over the summer.  

Wake me up when he actually makes the team. I will say though, I am feeling a need for a veteran blue liner more by the day. They need someone back there who has been legally old enough to drink her more than two years – and can handle their alcohol too.

4 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Good Lord, my voice software makes some interesting mistakes.

Ack, could have easily been a typo/autocorrect error. Anyway, I agree on the vet D-man. Who? 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Ack, could have easily been a typo/autocorrect error. Anyway, I agree on the vet D-man. Who? 

I don't know if you were in on the Shattenkirk  conversation the other day, but if he didn't cost too much I would not turn down a trade for him.

I don't know who else is rumored to be available right now. I don't follow like I used to.

10 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

I don't know if you were in on the Shattenkirk  conversation the other day, but if he didn't cost too much I would not turn down a trade for him.

I don't know who else is rumored to be available right now. I don't follow like I used to.

Oduya and Scuderi are out there as UFAs but they are both pretty old for an NHLer.

Kulikov, Smid, Liles and our old forsaken pal Seidenberg are also out there.  

Mostly all the decent names are pretty damn old though.   Anything besides Shattenkirk is a band aid, but probably more useful to developing the kids than retaining Stret and MDZ.

MDZ is a quandry.  Why isn't he better any more?  He's only 26.  After coming back the way he did, he should be a real hot item.  But it doesn't seem like he is at all.  

What happened to him?

13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Oduya and Scuderi are out there as UFAs but they are both pretty old for an NHLer.

Kulikov, Smid, Liles and our old forsaken pal Seidenberg are also out there.  

Mostly all the decent names are pretty damn old though.   Anything besides Shattenkirk is a band aid, but probably more useful to developing the kids than retaining Stret and MDZ.

MDZ is a quandry.  Why isn't he better any more?  He's only 26.  After coming back the way he did, he should be a real hot item.  But it doesn't seem like he is at all.  

What happened to him?

I don't know, but I don't have any faith in him. The clawing his way back part of his career looks to be the exception, not the norm.

8 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Yeah I followed that thread but am ambivalent about Shats being "the guy" - he's just not the right type of vet D-man we need IMHO

33 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah I followed that thread but am ambivalent about Shats being "the guy" - he's just not the right type of vet D-man we need IMHO

I know a lot of people say that the top line winger is the biggest need, and we pretty much always need a goalie, but I think the lack of experience/wealth of youth on the blue line has "caught up". They just need some balance.

2 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

I know a lot of people say that the top line winger is the biggest need, and we pretty much always need a goalie, but I think the lack of experience/wealth of youth on the blue line has "caught up". They just need some balance.

I was gonna say anchor but same idea really

38 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

What about Hjalmarsson? 29 years old. 4.1 million in each of the next two years. I believe TVR is eligible for the expansion draft. I don't know how they feel about Trevor, but if they want to protect him, they will need to move one of their three vets, who all have NMCs.

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

What about Hjalmarsson? 29 years old. 4.1 million in each of the next two years. I believe TVR is eligible for the expansion draft. I don't know how they feel about Trevor, but if they want to protect him, they will need to move one of their three vets, who all have NMCs.

You know what, that's some good reasoning and research there. At the time Hjalmarsson got that contract (I would have guess it was higher), it was considered high maybe, but the market for "solid not flashy D" has gone up since then I'd say, by more than $1M probably. I think he's exactly a guy they should be calling about. AJ for GM!

I was thinking about a guy like Bouwmeister, who I don't like for all the reasons others don't like him, but he's durable, mobile and experienced, including internationally with Team Canada. He's more though and Hjalmarsson is a better choice.

9 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

We definitely need some experience on the Blue Line. 

We can't start Provo, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg and Gudas next year.   Shattenkirk is maybe a little too offensively minded to be honest, but he is a tremendous player.   All in all, I'd rather have a Timmonen type, but I'm not sure where we're going to get that. 

That said, I do think shoring up the Defense will make the offense better.  Even when the opposition doesn't score, guys like Couts, Jake, G, Raffl, Simmonds and even Schenn (who's just not good at it) are constantly having to back check ALL the way back to their own net.  They can't send one guy back to help the D regain control and outlet, they almost always ALL have to go back.  This is KILLING their chances offensively.  This is why they scored so much earlier in the year but got scored against relentlessly as well.  When they started coming back, the goals against went down, but so did the goals for.  

If they can have safer stay at home guys playing along side Ghost and Sanheim (instead of MacDonald and offensively minded guys like Streit and MDZ) I think things will balance out a lot more.

But like I started by saying, you can't start the year with ALL rookies and offensively minded guys.  As it is, I'm worried about them wearing Provo out.  Morin and Hagg really probably just can't be relied on as much as Provo is and Sanheim is probably more of an offensively minded D man than Provo.  

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

You know what, that's some good reasoning and research there. At the time Hjalmarsson got that contract (I would have guess it was higher), it was considered high maybe, but the market for "solid not flashy D" has gone up since then I'd say, by more than $1M probably. I think he's exactly a guy they should be calling about. AJ for GM!

I was thinking about a guy like Bouwmeister, who I don't like for all the reasons others don't like him, but he's durable, mobile and experienced, including internationally with Team Canada. He's more though and Hjalmarsson is a better choice.

Taking J Bouw would allow St. Louis to probably resign Shattenkirk.  

To me, his contract is just too long for how old he currently is.

Hjalmarsson is a decent option, I just can't figure why the Hawks would give him up.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Hjalmarsson is a decent option, I just can't figure why the Hawks would give him up.  

Fair enough, why would you move a guy like that with a friendly cap hit, right?

But a package of good prospect, cheap depth player, and pick(s) always has a chance of convincing a GM. In the end, they're all assets. But probably not heading into the playoffs. You'd have to do it off season.

Anyway, a guy like Hjalmarsson is what we are in need of probably. 

Re: JB he has 2 more years on his deal ($5.4M cap hit). That puts him at 35. Given his skating ability, he could still play at least a few more years. 

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Fair enough, why would you move a guy like that with a friendly cap hit, right?

But a package of good prospect, cheap depth player, and pick(s) always has a chance of convincing a GM. In the end, they're all assets. But probably not heading into the playoffs. You'd have to do it off season.

Anyway, a guy like Hjalmarsson is what we are in need of probably. 

Re: JB he has 2 more years on his deal ($5.4M cap hit). That puts him at 35. Given his skating ability, he could still play at least a few more years. 

You know what?  You're absolutely right on Bouwmeester.  I was getting his contract mixed up with Pietranglelo's which goes on until the end of time.  even longer than MacDonald's.  

I think JBouw might be a pretty good option.  I'd support that if it didn't cost us much.  He'd have to waive his NTC unless Philly is on his list of acceptable teams.    It's probably a better short term solution than Shattenkirk (who I admit, despite my support of him is too offensively minded for what this team needs right now).  

St. Louis gets 5.4million in cap room to throw at Shattenkirk and we get the stop gap stay at home physical skater we've been missing for just long enough to complete Morin's Jedi training.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

You know what?  You're absolutely right on Bouwmeester.  I was getting his contract mixed up with Pietranglelo's which goes on until the end of time.  even longer than MacDonald's.  

I think JBouw might be a pretty good option.  I'd support that if it didn't cost us much.  He'd have to waive his NTC unless Philly is on his list of acceptable teams.    It's probably a better short term solution than Shattenkirk (who I admit, despite my support of him is too offensively minded for what this team needs right now).  

St. Louis gets 5.4million in cap room to throw at Shattenkirk and we get the stop gap stay at home physical skater we've been missing for just long enough to complete Morin's Jedi training.  

It's really hard to say. JB is like a better version of Coburn. But he's better in a couple of key ways. One, he actually has some sense of what to maybe do when gaining the blue line, whereas Coburn has almost none apparently.

I also think JB is a better passer.

But he lacks snarl and we know how Flyers fans feel about big guys without snarl: we run them out of town eventually. 

57 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It's really hard to say. JB is like a better version of Coburn. But he's better in a couple of key ways. One, he actually has some sense of what to maybe do when gaining the blue line, whereas Coburn has almost none apparently.

I also think JB is a better passer.

But he lacks snarl and we know how Flyers fans feel about big guys without snarl: we run them out of town eventually. 

Coburn woukd be fantastic right now.  Well coburn 4 years ago. 

We we can run JB out of town in say two years?  

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't know that they would, but when people were throwing around the idea of a vet to help the young guys out and stabilize the blue line, he was the first name that popped into my head. And when I looked at the Hawks' situation, it does make a modicum of sense.

First, you have to start with the assumption that Trevor van Riemsdyk is a desirable player. I haven't been following other teams this year as closely as I like, but he seems to doing well based on stats since returning from injury. After that assumption, I am making a second that Chicago wants to keep him. IF those two assumptions are correct, that's where Hjalmarsson could come into play, as Podein noted, after the season ends - Chicago certainly won't break up their D running up to the playoffs.

Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson are all signed into next year with NMCs. That fills up all of Chicago's protection slots (unless they go 8 skaters, in which case they run into a problem with the forwards and Panarin). I would have to think that TVR, if exposed, gets picked. So if Chicago likes TVR enough to want to use a protection slot on him, they have to move one of the other three - the NMCs preclude them just exposing one (even if they didn't, I'm sure they'd prefer to get something in return).

So it hinges on how they feel about TVR. If I'm Hextall, I at least make the phone call and see if it could work. Obviously it has to make sense from a compensation perspective, and Hjalmarsson has to waive his NMC, but he's exactly the type of player I think could be helpful for the young players, and the team as a whole.

Archived