Sabres no longer a joke

Buffalo Rick

This win today I must say surprised me!  Still a long way to go but a low seed, like 8, is not impossible . For the sake of experience for guys like Eichel and Reinhardt I hope we get in.  And team revenue being a small market.  Even if it means being slaughtered by the Caps on national TV

On 2/19/2017 at 3:45 PM, notfondajane said:

Beware of the Leafs!

The Leafs and Sabres did not rise to the occasion last night.  The Sabres were not ready and Lehner is a sack of crap.  I would give my shoes to get Miller back.  At least he kept us in games.

10 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Leafs and Sabres did not rise to the occasion last night.  The Sabres were not ready and Lehner is a sack of crap.  I would give my shoes to get Miller back.  At least he kept us in games.

Come on Rick be honest...you'd give both arms and both legs and your head to get Miller back.

I would just like to say that I didn't like the Lehner acquisition when it happened and said so. 

I was told I didn't know what I was talking about.  He MAY be more of a system goalie. It's possible the Sabres get something from a team willing to try that. 

Ultimately, I just think his ceiling is somewhere below a starter on an NHL team. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Come on Rick be honest...you'd give both arms and both legs and your head to get Miller back.

He really should consider giving something of value if he wants to make this happen. 

@OccamsRazor

Yea, I was watching this game and the announcers were saying that some people would figure it was luck.

But they also said that Nikita ACTUALLY practices this (and other such things) specifically for shoot outs.

Obviously, I don't know first hand myself, but with the skillset Kucherjesus has, I wouldn't put it past him to actually practice and perfect this.

Not too sure one can say the Sabres goalie was "a joke" here, I mean really, who the heck would have expected Kucherjesus to pull that stunt...no one!

That could have beaten any goalie in the league cleanly.

Still though, Nikita will be one of those contracts coming due for a big big payday in just two more seasons.....Bolts will want to be sure to keep this guy.

25 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Lehner has made ZERO saves in shootouts this season!!  :hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

That may be so, but I still wouldn't use that as a measuring stick as to how much of a "joke" he could possibly be in net.

I know Lehner is not a favorite on this site (and truly I am not particularly fond of him), but the guy has an 18-18-8 record, a 2.59 GAA, and a nice .922 sv% on the season.

The GAA is perhaps a bit high, as many of the best goalies in the league are under 2.50, but still, one has to remember what he  has in front of him right now:  a young team that makes tons of mistakes still and oftentimes leave him out to dry, plus that same team can't seem to score nearly enough to keep the pressure off him.

Given that, and given the Sabres' current state of development, I'd say he is still the right fit at this point in time....and that the job he has done to this point isn't too bad.

Ok, so he sucks at shoot outs...one could say the same for LOTS of NHL goalies, including some good ones.

Lehner likely is a 'system goalie'.

Have a solid defensive system, score enough goals for him, and the guy will thrive.........play 'make it up as you go' hockey like the Sabres are playing now (though to be fair, again, they are still learning to win as a team), and he doesn't do as well....and of course, there is NO system in shoot outs...just the goalie and the shooter.

On top of all that, let's say he and the Sabres somehow make the post season (whenever that is), shoot outs are NOT a concern there.

Braden Holtby, Henrik Lundqvist, and Devan Dubnyk....all examples of very good goalies who pretty much suck in the shoot out......and those three goalies, incidentally, can probably be considered 'system goalies'.

Dubnyk most likely is.

Lundqvist, more of a hybrid, but no doubt he does best when the Rangers protect their own zone better...and Holtby really didn't rise until Barry Trotz hammered home the importance of defensive responsibility...before that, he was on a Capitals goalie carousel while the team played free wheeling hockey in front of the goaltenders.

I know this likely won't change the perception of Robin Lehner for many here, but still, his numbers (outside the shoot out) are NOT, IMO, a joke overall...and with the current state of the team, I would say they are good. Plus, he is still 25, and we all know goalies don't usually hit their primes as true NHL starters till around 27 or so.

I'd still give him a pass right now

Archived