JAKUB VORACEK LASHES OUT AT BILL DALY, GARY BETTMAN OVER OLYMPIC INDECISION

NRH

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If they are going to do mid February, though, I'd advocate for shortening the season by 5-10 games, just for the health and safety of the players. 

I'll bet the Owners won't go for that.  But hey maybe the players would forfeit their salaries for those games...

That includes the ones sitting home watching the Olympics.  

:notfair:

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'll bet the Owners won't go for that.  But hey maybe the players would forfeit their salaries for those games...

That includes the ones sitting home watching the Olympics.  

:notfair:

Agreed on the owners. And to keep seasons consistent they'd have to reduce the games in all seasons, not just affected seasons. 

I'm all for that with or without the world Cup. We have entirely too many games. Between that and the idiotic point set up, the season is already too long and watered down. 

But you're completely right about the owners. If we went with 10 less games, that's 5 gate receipts less per owner less revenue sharing, etc. 

But the league seems to want it all (league gate and revenue from the fortnight circus) at the expense of the health and wellness of its top assets (its star players). 

It's not smart business. Eventually, if left to their own whims, hogs will starve to death. 

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Ok. But can we move it to mid summer instead of when they currently do it?  Mid summer really isn't ideal either, but right now it messes with camp. That's better than mid season, I suppose. 

I still don't like it, but if one has to compromise... 

And your first life cracked me the hell up. 

No, because Checking for Charity is mid-summer, and we get a lot of local AHL/NHL players in the tourny. :D

I'm with you. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are the best tournament, not just in hockey, but in sports. I don't care about the World Cup, except for its ability to get players hurt just in time to start the NHL season. I'll care about Olympics once the NHL bows out and it goes back to an amateur tourny. I already watch pros play in the best tournament in the world, let me watch the other guys play. For me, right now:

1. Stanley Cup 

2. World Juniors

3. World Championships

There's nothing below 3 at this point. I'd probably watch the SHL or Bayernliga championships if I could, though.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

No, i don't think most would watch in the summer. My problem is then we're back to pausing the season, which I have a visceral aversion to. 

There really aren't any other options. (Assuming the NHL wants to continue having international tournaments.)  :IDunnoSmiley:

No other major team sport's league pauses their season for some random let's mix up all the players and have a tournament (someone is going to respond with soccer. Don't unless you can tolerate an assault on soccer).

Rest assured, I would never respond with soccer. I did some "soccer" the other day: jogged 5 km. Occasionally I'll kick pine cones, stones, or other obstructions out of my way when I'm jogging. See? Just like soccer. ;)

I think it the NHL wants to start being considered a major sports league it needs to start marketing itself, as other top leagues do, as the preeminent top of the mountain, our champ is world champ League. And this means stop pausing your league--a tacit admission of lesser priority--for other tournaments. 

I agree. Although the World Cup would be run by the NHL. :)

The weird priority of country vs country for a sport is just that:  weird. I honestly don't begin to comprehend it.  Maybe it IS because I'm American, as others have suggested.  Perhaps that's why other team sports that quickly come to mind (football, baseball) not only don't have this issue, they would actually have a hard time getting players to participate (because they're largely American sports). [EDIT:] I don't think that can possibly be the sole reason because I know plenty of other American hockey fans enjoy it. [/EDIT] 

I just don't have any interest in the concept. I also don't really share the romantic idea of best vs. best that people try to sell me on with the world Cup and the Olympics. The concept doesn't work for me. I prefer the idea of mixing various levels of skill together and creating a system that works for that group and bonding as a team to win. 

This is just a wild and crazy hypothesis of mine, with no evidence to back it up, (so naturally I'm going to present it)... 

but perhaps these international tournaments are a way of appeasing long suffering Canadian hockey fans?

Consider the following:

• It's the only time Canadians can watch their best players play in Canada and actually cheer for them instead of against them, since virtually none of the elite Canadian players in the NHL play on Canadian based teams. (You really have to go back to the 1980's Oilers or 1970's Canadiens before you start seeing marque/big name Canadian players on teams in Canada, especially to any significant degree. Since then, our teams have had Swedes, Russians, Americans, pretty much every nationality other than Canadian as the front men of our franchises.)
  • Since the season is usually lost anyway for the Canadian teams by February, an international tournament is a way of creating interest in hockey where otherwise none would exist (at least north of the border). Which leads nicely into...
  • ... let's face it: the tournament is a chest thumping opportunity for Canada. During a World Cup / Olympic year, that tournament is usually the only highlight for Canadian hockey fans since a Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993.

:)

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This is just a wild and crazy hypothesis of mine, with no evidence to back it up, (so naturally I'm going to present it)... 

but perhaps these international tournaments are a way of appeasing long suffering Canadian hockey fans?

Consider the following:

• It's the only time Canadians can watch their best players play in Canada and actually cheer for them instead of against them, since virtually none of the elite Canadian players in the NHL play on Canadian based teams. (You really have to go back to the 1980's Oilers or 1970's Canadiens before you start seeing marque/big name Canadian players on teams in Canada, especially to any significant degree. Since then, our teams have had Swedes, Russians, Americans, pretty much every nationality other than Canadian as the front men of our franchises.)
  • Since the season is usually lost anyway for the Canadian teams by February, an international tournament is a way of creating interest in hockey where otherwise none would exist (at least north of the border). Which leads nicely into...
  • ... let's face it: the tournament is a chest thumping opportunity for Canada. During a World Cup / Olympic year, that tournament is usually the only highlight for Canadian hockey fans since a Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993.

:)

It's hard for me, not being Canadian, to agree with your hypothesis.  It's one thing to say, "my sister can't get dates because she's a troll."  It's another for someone from the outside to even agree without being punched.

But let's just say it's plausible.

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Rest assured, I would never respond with soccer. I did some "soccer" the other day: jogged 5 km. Occasionally I'll kick pine cones, stones, or other obstructions out of my way when I'm jogging. See? Just like soccer. ;)

That's funny stuff right there!   Literally laughed outloud.

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's hard for me, not being Canadian, to agree with your hypothesis.  It's one thing to say, "my sister can't get dates because she's a troll."  It's another for someone from the outside to even agree without being punched.

But let's just say it's plausible.

That sounds reasonable. :)

If you think about it, the fans of the team that win the tournament most frequently are going to be the most excited to have it again. I'm sure most of the pressure for the league to have these international tournaments comes from Canada, Russia, Sweden, etc. Down in the US, the excitement is probably much more subdued. 

I know that (as a baseball fan), I don't have much interest in the World Baseball Classic -- and it's largely because Team Canada is completely over-matched by the US, Japan, Mexico, and other powerhouse countries in baseball. 

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That's funny stuff right there!   Literally laughed outloud.

When I jog indoors it's even more like soccer... because I'm running in circles.  lololol. ;)

On 2017-03-11 at 1:33 PM, canoli said:

The players I hear talk about going seem like they really want to go and represent their country. And why not? The Olympics are a big deal. If you're from outside the U.S. / Canada and you're picked for your country's Olympic team I can understand wanting to be part of it. It's a once-maybe-twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity...why begrudge them that chance just because they have a "day job?" I understand there are risks but those can be negotiated and agreed to beforehand by the PA and the NHL.

I'm sure it's probably the same for Americans, but can definitely say it's a HUGE deal for Canadian players, and they desperately and badly want to be on that Olympic roster. Star players gladly take a 4th line role just to wear that sweater, and Vezina winners will park themselves on the bench for a chance to play backup.

On 3/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, ruxpin said:

Every four years, what I enjoy is interrupted and affected by something I have zero interest in and that I view as utterly pointless.

yeah you're right it is hard asking ice hockey fans to enjoy ice hockey. ba-dum bump cymbal crash

Once every four years. ba-dum dum dum dum bump chikkita boom bom boom cymbals crash

but seriously folks ...rux I almost can't believe you typed that. can you possibly be more selfish ridiculous? I don't think so; I think we've found your (and the human) limit. :)  Kidding around aside "I don't like it therefore it shouldn't exist" is just not ... sound. I say take a mulligan on that one and let's press on to your logical objection. You say suspending the season and closing down for a couple weeks every 4 years hurts the NHL. I don't see how but maybe you'll help me. Who does it hurt exactly? "The league" doesn't count - the world insists, this time you Name Names!

12 minutes ago, canoli said:

yeah you're right it is hard asking ice hockey fans to enjoy ice hockey. ba-dum bump cymbal crash

Once every four years. ba-dum dum dum dum bump chikkita boom bom boom cymbals crash

but seriously folks ...rux I almost can't believe you typed that. can you possibly be more selfish ridiculous? I don't think so; I think we've found your (and the human) limit. :)  Kidding around aside "I don't like it therefore it shouldn't exist" is just not ... sound. I say take a mulligan on that one and let's press on to your logical objection. You say suspending the season and closing down for a couple weeks every 4 years hurts the NHL. I don't see how but maybe you'll help me. Who does it hurt exactly? "The league" doesn't count - the world insists, this time you Name Names!

You cannot ask who it hurts and then not allow who it hurts as the answer. 

• The league 
  • The leagues fans 
  • The fans of the team whose stupid under contract dick breaks something and is out for the season during a playoff run. And this is not a Matt Read. These are top players. 
  • The vendors who sell at several less games because a team didn't make it or go as far because some jerk got hurt because something was more important than their multi  million dollar salary, the thousands that have rooted for them on their actual team, bought their jerseys, etc. 
  • The other players on the team that couldn't/didn't go whose season is screwed either because jerk got injured or is over exhausted by the semis because he's played such a tournament halfway around the globe.

Any other stupid questions?

The whole thing is stupid. You don't shut down a league trying to vie for market share with other sports and pretend it's good for business.  It's counter-productive, if not completely insane, for business. Just stupid. 

And it's simply insulting to fans of the league. Some just aren't bright enough to realize they're being insulted. 

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm sure it's probably the same for Americans, but can definitely say it's a HUGE deal for Canadian players, and they desperately and badly want to be on that Olympic roster. Star players gladly take a 4th line role just to wear that sweater, and Vezina winners will park themselves on the bench for a chance to play backup.

thanks for posting this - it doesn't matter where you're from or where you grew up the Olympic games are a huge deal. I can't imagine anyone - amateur, pro or kids skating on a frozen pond - turning down an offer to be on an Olympic team.

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You cannot ask who it hurts and then not allow who it hurts as the answer. 

The league 

The leagues fans 

The fans of the team whose stupid under contract dick breaks something and is out for the season during a playoff run. And this is not a Matt Read. These are top players. 

The vendors who sell at several less games because a team didn't make it or go as far because some jerk got hurt because something was more important than their multi  million dollar salary, the thousands that have rooted for them on their actual team, bought their jerseys, etc. 

The other players on the team that couldn't/didn't go whose season is screwed either because jerk got injured or is over exhausted by the semis because he's played such a tournament halfway around the globe. 

Any other stupid questions? 

The whole thing is stupid. You don't shut down a league trying to vie for market share with other sports and pretend it's good for business.  It's counter-productive, if not completely insane, for business. Just stupid. 

And it's simply insulting to fans of the league. Some just aren't bright enough to realize they're being insulted. 

I'm not stupid you're stupid. bleh.

(way to keep it classy)

2 hours ago, canoli said:

thanks for posting this - it doesn't matter where you're from or where you grew up the Olympic games are a huge deal. I can't imagine anyone - amateur, pro or kids skating on a frozen pond - turning down an offer to be on an Olympic team.

I'm not stupid you're stupid. bleh.

(way to keep it classy)

Keep it classy?  Dude, you came at me. I've been quite willing to acknowledge opposing opinions on this.  You didn't come with opinion, you threw crap and I fed it back to you. But I also listed and articulated reasons and answered your foolish question I'd already answered previously, but once again you can't even be bothered to consider it or articulate a response. Yammering "everyone loves the Olympics" (not true) or whatever other passive aggressive attack pretending to be funny (fail) you want to launch isn't it. Read W. O. W. 's and JR' s posts for hints on how it's done. 

Wanna waste your time on contrived horse **** be my guest. Don't do it during the season.  There are actually a fairly large contingent of NHL fans that enjoy the horse race, etc that are NOT fans of Olympic or international hockey. Don't call me selfish. I define that as the insistence on turning off a movie people are enjoying just so you can watch a 15 minute short. The difference here is that the short has the potential of ruining or affecting the outcome of the duration of the movie. 

No need to respond. You haven't listened to or acknowledged a thing I've said anyway.

Shove your classy. You can't call classy after your crap posts. 

Archived