Reported that Mark Friedman will forgo senior and sign @ Flyers

Lunatic

2 hours ago, vis said:

Obviously it would be to get them a taste of the NHL.  I get that.

But, I think there is something to be said for keeping the Phantoms group together and not yanking players out for a couple of games.  Let them experience the home stretch and the preparations for making a Calder Cup run, rather than coming up and playing on a team in the midst of dying a slow death.  Those last couple of Flyers games are likely to be meaningless.  So, what are they really experiencing?

I rather them experience an exciting, winning atmosphere and the preparations that take place when getting ready for the POs.  Especially when they have been important parts of that team all year.

I can see both sides of the argument. You make a valid point.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, vis said:

Unless Hagg totally flames out, I think he has the best shot to make the team next year out of camp.  Not because he's the best of the bunch.  Rather, he is at a point in his development where the Flyers have to make a decision as to whether he is NHL material.  He's already spent a good amount of time in the AHL and may have reached his ceiling there.  Time to evaluate whether he can make the next step to the big club.  If he falters, then Morin gets his shot.  I'd be surprised if all three make the team, but you never know.  Maybe it would work if they signed Bishop.  

I like that logic regarding Haag. Do you think there is a chance that he gets a mini-tryout this season?

Nevermind, I refreshed the thread and saw that this was answered several times....

1 hour ago, vis said:

yep, a few of the guys on the last Phantoms Calder Cup team went on to win Stanley Cups (albeit with different teams).

Carter (LA) / Richards (LA)  / Pitkanen (Bos)  / Sharp (Chi) / Seidenberg (Bos) all won cups.  who else am I missing?

5 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Having them play a couple of games for the Flyers this season isn't going to magically kill their development or instantly infest them with a losing mentality. It won't hurt them or the phantoms playoff chances 

Not anywhere did I say it will "magically kill their development."  I'm saying they have more to gain staying with the Phantoms than playing meaningless games for the Flyers.

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I can see both sides of the argument. You make a valid point.

Thanks, Podes.  I can see both sides, too.  Just like my side a little better :)

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Carter (LA) / Richards (LA)  / Pitkanen (Bos)  / Sharp (Chi) / Seidenberg (Bos) all won cups.  who else am I missing?

Don't think Pitknanen did.

Eager did.

20 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Yeah, Pitkanen never did, but Carbomb has 2 Stanley Cup rings.

Pitkanen never even played for Boston. That was Seidenberg 

Carcillo was on two Stanley Cup winning teams, but he never got his name engraved on either occasion because he barely played 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Pitkanen never even played for Boston. That was Seidenberg 

Carcillo was on two Stanley Cup winning teams, but he never got his name engraved on either occasion because he barely played 

He wasn't on that Phantoms team either.

Carcillo, that is.

Archived