Reported that Mark Friedman will forgo senior and sign @ Flyers

Lunatic

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/3/20/14983382/mark-friedman-contract-flyers-phantoms-nhl-prospect-bowling-green

The escalator is going up. With Friedman and Myers probably joining the Phantoms next year and possible/probable departures of Schultz, Del Zotto, and Maning the chances are good that we will see one or two of Sanheim, Morin, or Hagg on the Flyers. Following a rebuilding team is trying, but at least there is excitement at what the future brings! Time to bring up the young'ns!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Good news. Interested in seeing what kind of pro this kid could be. 

Yes it gives the good mix of Dmen with different skill set.

They ALL have one common thing that is very strange to Flyer fans regardless of size...from Morin's 6-7 230 pound frame to Friedman's 5-10 196 pound frame...they all can skate and more around very well!!!

No glaciers anymore!!!

How strange someone pinch me!

So now they will have two young right hand shots on the Phantoms. Willcox and Friedman. To later go with another righty in Myers!!!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Friedman's 5-10 196 pound frame

I've never seen him play, but that and his PIMs totals suggest a Timonen like player. We could only hope he could be half that good. Remember that Kimmo was a 10th round pick...

Flyers Sign D Mark Friedman to Entry Level Contract

cut.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-sign-d-mark-friedman-to-entry-level-contract--philadelphia-flyers/c-287930592

So i think since he turned 21 in december it will be a 3 year deal.

The entire purpose for an entry-level deal is to limit how much a player can be paid. That's it. Length of the deal depends on when the contract is signed, by age (for this article, age is defined as how old the player is as of September 15th of the year he signs his contract).

18-21: 3-year deal
22-23: 2-year deal
24: 1-year deal
25-27 (EUROPEANS ONLY) - 1-year deal

Someone let me know if i am wrong i found the above.

19 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You want to know what's crazy amazing?

Look at Phil Myers' contract. 648k for three years. Potential top-pairing guy. And he's a righty too.

Yes they are so stacked i have trouble just believing it. They will arrive soon....

...no need to rush it. Icehole will just have to make a 1,000 thread till then...

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

I assume he is eligible to play for the Phantoms now??

Yes, since he's on an ELC he's eligible. They're going to have to make some decisions with the playoffs looming. Run with the horses that got you there, or inject some new blood like Friedman, Lindblom, any junior prospects whose teams get bounced, etc...

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

I assume he is eligible to play for the Phantoms now??

Yes. And they need him O'neil and Hagg are out hurt.

As of now they still have..

Brennan/Willcox

Sanheim/Lamarche

Morin/Alt

So i'd guess Friedman could bump Lamarche who is more of an ECHL guy. Willcox, Alt and Lamarche are all righties.

So i would venture to say Sanheim and Friedman could be down lethal!!!

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So next year could look something like this...

Brennan/ Willcox

Sanheim/Friedman

O'neill/Morin

Hagg may make Flyers maybe even Morin too.

Unless Myers is going back for an OA season, he's gotta fit somewhere.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So next year could look something like this...

Brennan/ Willcox

Sanheim/Friedman

O'neill/Morin

Hagg may make Flyers maybe even Morin too.

Where's Myers? Also, Morin will be on the team before Hagg

For the Flyers next year, we'll for sure have Gudas, Manning, Provorov, Gostisbehere returning. At the Town Hall meeting, Hakstol acknowledged that he expects several young defensemen on the team next year. With that in mind, I see Morin and maybe even Hagg making the team. MacDonald is garbage, so let's hope he is waived. I bring back MDZ on a 1-2 year deal if he's willing to re-sign for a reasonable amount.

Flyers:

Provorov

Gostisbehere

Del Zotto

Gudas

Morin

Hagg

Manning (the 7th, where he should be)

That measn the Phantoms will have Sanheim, Myers, Friedman, MacDonald, Wilcox, Brennan, O'Neill signed on for next season. Other potential prospects that could join the Phantoms on the blueline next year are Terrance Amorosa, David Drake, or Valeri Vasiliev...I dont know where these guys fit in the Flyers future though 

For me right now, there are two compelling storylines to next year's TC:

Does Lindblom make the team?

Which of Myers, Morin, Sanheim, and Haag are the next of the young D to make the big club?

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Unless Myers is going back for an OA season, he's gotta fit somewhere.

I just haven't included him yet. Didn't know where he'd go.

Since he has missed a good portion of the season not sure if they would send him back or to the Phantoms.

I have even seen a few (Bob Mckenzie allude to him being ready for the NHL) i could certainly see him on the Phantoms too. That would be some sick depth right there. In that case he and Sanheim could be a great 1st pair.

Hagg and Morin could both make the jump to the NHL. In fact it would be sad if they COULDN'T replace Manning and Mcdud!

Really a lot of variables and ways it could go.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Which of Myers, Morin, Sanheim, and Haag are the next of the young D to make the big club?

I definitely think Lindblom makes the team. He had a great year in the SEL, which is a tougher league than the AHL. Even in his short stint last year for the Phantoms, he looked real good. The smaller ice surface shouldnt be a problem for him, so I definitely see him in O&B next year

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just haven't included him yet. Didn't know where he'd go.

Since he has missed a good portion of the season not sure if they would send him back or to the Phantoms.

I have even seen a few (Bob Mckenzie allude to him being ready for the NHL) i could certainly see him on the Phantoms too. That would be some sick depth right there. In that case he and Sanheim could be a great 1st pair.

Hagg and Morin could both make the jump to the NHL. In fact it would be sad if they COULDN'T replace Manning and Mcdud!

Really a lot of variables and ways it could go.

Myers is not going to be sent back to Juniors next year.

10 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Flyers:

Provorov

Gostisbehere

Del Zotto

Gudas

Morin

Hagg

Manning (the 7th, where he should be)

Yes i like this.

Phantoms could be to start:

Sanheim/Myers

Brennan/Friedman

O'neill/Willcox

And still have a righty for each D pair in the minors. Nice!

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Image result for it's happening gif

:cheers:

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

To answer the first question, yes, Lindblom makes the big club in 2017-2018. I expect he's either on a line with Giroux and Simmonds or he's on a line with Couturier and Schenn. I think 30+ points aren't out of the unexpected.

As for the defense, I don't think Myers makes it to the big club right away. He's going to get the Sanheim treatment in that he's going to play a year in the AHL to refine his game. I saw somebody talking about re-signing MDZ, but at this point, I'd rather the Flyers let him walk and go with Morin, Sanheim and Hagg as the three that make the big club. With Schultz, MDZ and Streit gone, that leaves the number 7 spot for Manning and MacDonald to fight over. I'm still hopeful that Hextall will eat some salary and move MacDonald to free up another roster spot. I see the defense next year looking like the following:

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Sanheim

Hagg - Gostisbehere

Manning

I get that the defense is going to be INCREDIBLY young. But at the same time, you've got Hagg who has played in the AHL for three years, Morin has played there for two, Gostisbehere will be going on his third year in the NHL, Gudas has played a combined five years in the NHL. Sanheim is the only one with one year of pro hockey under his belt. If the Flyers fire the assistant coaching staff and replace Gord Murphy with a coach who knows a thing or two about defense, the team will be alright with so many young defensemen in the lineup.

I have to admit, I love the six defenders that are here. There's size, there's skill, there's skating ability, there's physicality, and there's hockey IQ in that lineup.

Archived