Mason's Comments

vis

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The coach, yes. He's not Masons teammate though. 

Look, I get that the guy who's being blamed for the team's failure shouldn't actually mention that the team has failed.

He should just sit quietly and take the blame for the team's failure.

Like when it was Cechmanek's fault that they lost a six game series they scored two goals in. I get it.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I have no problems with goaltenders calling out players if players aren't playing well. With that being said, the goaltender better be posting about average save percentages or else their words carry little weight. And right now, Steve Mason is sporting is a .905 save percentage, below the league average. Here's something else to put into comparison. Mason has started 53 games. He's made 1278 and let in 133 goals, so 1,411 shots in total. Over 53 games, that works out to just about 27 shots a game. So, it's not as if he's being pelted by rubber.

In comparison, last season, Mason started 54 games, stopped 1470 shots, let in 132 goals and faced 1602 shots overall. We're looking at about 30 shots a game and he had a .918 save percentage.

In fairness, the Flyers have actually done their part defensively. Mason needs to start holding himself accountable for his lousy play.

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

Look, I get that the guy who's being blamed for the team's failure shouldn't actually mention that the team has failed.

He should just sit quietly and take the blame for the team's failure.

Like when it was Cechmanek's fault that they lost a six game series they scored two goals in. I get it.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm not blaming Mason for the teams failure (and I know you're not saying I am). I'm saying when you, as the teams #1 goalie have had one of the worst years of your entire career, maybe it's not the time to call out the rest of your team for underperforming.

It's not anything like when Cechmanic got blamed...that was an absolute joke. Mason is every bit as responsible for this lousy season as the next guy.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not blaming Mason for the teams failure (and I know you're not saying I am). I'm saying when you, as the teams #1 goalie have had one of the worst years of your entire career, maybe it's not the time to call out the rest of your team for underperforming.

The "next guy" being Michael Neuvirth who is also "having one of the worst seasons of his career."

Coincidence?

I don't think so.

The team is underperforming and all we hear from them is how they're really better than their record.

And when he's using terms like "us" and "we" it's not like he's singling out anybody specifically or deflecting from being a part of the underperforming.

He wasn't singling out anyone specific.

But when you say "It was up to us to make them feel uncomfortable," Mason said. "We're also facing a goaltender who hadn't had a start in two months, and I don't think we made it hard enough for him. We need a better effort"  it sounds to me like you're blaming your teams play at the other end of the rink. 

And he's not wrong in what he says....it's the fact the same players could have been pointing the finger his way earlier on in the season....but didn't.

If a teammate calls me out who's been working his arse off and playing well, I'd be a lot more inclined to take it to heart than coming from one who's had a terrible season.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And he's not wrong in what he says....it's the fact the same players could have been pointing the finger his way earlier on in the season....but didn't.

I agree had he thrown in a comment like "If i could have made one more save like the unscreened Wheeler goal glove side it might be a different outcome..."

Saying thing like that including yourself in the the things your team could have done better help the sound of it all IMHO.

On 3/23/2017 at 5:47 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Bottom line is when a mic is in your face don't give the media anyhing to run with keep it behind close doors.

I mean you don't have to Marshawn Lynch it or anything but keep it simple and boring for lack of a better term.

You give he media anything they can twist and you'll be back tracking for weeks.

Especially in Philly where even if there isn't drama, Philly beat writers and fans will be sure to manufacture it. 

• 2 weeks later...

If this is it in Philly, Steve Mason has 'no regrets'

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2017/04/05/philadelphia-flyers-michal-neuvirth-steve-mason-has-no-regrets/100091096/

Mason did himself no favors early in the season with a 2.96 goals-against average and .898 save percentage through November. Neuvirth was even worse with a 3.59 goals-against average and .859 save percentage in the same time frame.

Since February 1, Mason has been a top-10 goalie in terms of save percentage, tied with Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick for 10th at .923. His goals-against average in that span is ninth in the NHL at 2.24.

So it is still the odd year so we can still blame the goalie.....right? 

I wonder if they don't bring him back who they have in mind.......

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

If this is it in Philly, Steve Mason has 'no regrets'

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2017/04/05/philadelphia-flyers-michal-neuvirth-steve-mason-has-no-regrets/100091096/

Mason did himself no favors early in the season with a 2.96 goals-against average and .898 save percentage through November. Neuvirth was even worse with a 3.59 goals-against average and .859 save percentage in the same time frame.

Since February 1, Mason has been a top-10 goalie in terms of save percentage, tied with Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick for 10th at .923. His goals-against average in that span is ninth in the NHL at 2.24.

So it is still the odd year so we can still blame the goalie.....right? 

I wonder if they don't bring him back who they have in mind.......

I can't possibly blame either goalie.

Neither is stellar, but the team let them down repeatedly.  GAA and Save% will only get you so far.  When the team in front of you tends to only give up high percentage chances, your save % goes way down.

When that team tends to only give up low % chances, your save % tends to go up.

They hung their goalies out to dry all year.  The worst we can say about Mason and Neuwirth this year was that they didn't play amazing in spite of that.  

The difference between a great goalie and a good goalie to me is that save Lundqvist made on Giroux with about :15 left on Sunday night.  As much as I've been in G's case this  year, that should have been a goal.  It was extremely well placed and hard and looked to be on target and lundy snagged it.  That's a high percentage shot and Giroux didn't screw it up, and it should have tied the game, but Lundqvist made a fantastic save and he didn't make a big deal out of it (aka he didn't flop all over the place, out himself out of position and create a huge rebound).   That's a great goalie (and he's even having an off year in a lot of ways).  

That's not Mason or Neuwirth.  They probably won't make the saves they're not supposed to with any consistency, but I think they consistently make the saves they're supposed to.  There have been a few I know we can all point to especially this year, but to think that's not the same for every goalie in this league (even the great ones like Lundqvist) is to just not watch enough non Flyers hockey I think. 

All in all, I think blaming the goalies on this team is silly.  

That said, I certainly think they could do better and sincerely hope we will see a higher quality of netminding from Hart and Sandstrom.

I think Stolarz looks good, but so far he seems to be in the same vein as Mason but maybe quicker.  With more starts, he may relax a bit and make some of those saves he's not supposed to, but for my money the goals he's given up are for the most part goals that I don't blame him for.

We'll see.  But this year aint' on the goalies in spite of them not being stellar.  If you need your goalie to be earth shatteringly good every night, you're not going to get very far in this league.  

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

I said Blood Eagle Ghost for those comments!!!

In case you don't know what it is...don't look if you have a queasy stomach..

Spoiler

Image result for blood eagle

Should have played Stolie when they had a chance....may have made a difference...playing with an injury like that is selfish.

I and some others i forget who (one was KK) said to and they didn't and a few more points would have made a difference.

Oh well no playoffs. Playing Stolie might have secured some needed points in the fight. Guess we'll never know.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:48 PM, radoran said:

Ghost calling out the skaters makes more sense to me than Mason. Neither had a great year. But when Mason did it it was more akin to Ghost calling out the goalies after he himself took a step back.

Mason could very well go on to have a solid career somewhere else. I'd have preferred to keep him and lose Neuvrith, but money is likely a factor there. It's too bad he got stuck playing behind such a crap D. He's one of the better goalies this team has had over the past 25 years. Sad.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:10 AM, flyercanuck said:

Ghost calling out the skaters makes more sense to me than Mason. Neither had a great year. But when Mason did it it was more akin to Ghost calling out the goalies after he himself took a step back.

Mason could very well go on to have a solid career somewhere else. I'd have preferred to keep him and lose Neuvrith, but money is likely a factor there. It's too bad he got stuck playing behind such a crap D. He's one of the better goalies this team has had over the past 25 years. Sad.

Would not surprise me to see him in a place like Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary or Buffalo...

That said, I think the expansion draft will tell a lot of tales. If the K-nig-its take Neuvirth, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Flyers re-sign Mason before July 1.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Mason said "Thanks, but I'll see what's on the market and get back to you."

To sum up, I'm not easily surprised. :cheers:

Archived