Mason's Comments

vis

Apologies if this is posted and discussed elsewhere, but there seems to be a little controversy over some comments that Mason made re: the Winnipeg game.  He essentially called the skaters out, saying:

"It was up to us to make them feel uncomfortable," Mason said. "We're also facing a goaltender who hadn't had a start in two months, and I don't think we made it hard enough for him. We need a better effort. We keep playing like this and we'll be mathematically eliminated before you know it. We've got to stop this win-one-lose-one [habit]. We have to have some growth on the team here."

I don't disagree with Mason.  But it's pretty ballsy of a goaltender to call out the skaters, particularly when no skater has called out the goaltenders and their poor play at various times during the season.  Just not something that typically comes from the goaltender.  Is Mason trying to step into a leadership void?  Does he know he's gone after this season and has taken a "screw it, I don't care anymore..." approach.  

Carchidi has an article on it, with some pretty strong words from him.  This comes after he questioned Giroux after the Devils game, I believe, about the team's effort.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Listless_Flyers_goalie_Steve_Mason_wakeup_call_NHL_playoffs.html

In a separate Carchidi article, he quotes Voracek as basically disagreeing with Mason.

Voracek politely disagreed with teammate Steve Mason, who criticized the team's effort in Tuesday's loss.

"Effort? I think everybody leaves on the ice everything they have," Voracek said in a matter-of-fact tone.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20170323_Flyers_make_line_changes__seeking_a_spark.html

Don't know the way in which the question was posed to Voracek, i.e., whether the questioner asked specifically about Mason's comments or whether Voracek was responding to a general question about their effort with no mention of Mason.  In any event, seems like there are some differing views among the players on the level of effort being put forth.

Also noted in that Carchidi article is a change in lines for tonights game:

Claude Giroux, who had been on a unit with Jordan Weal and Wayne Simmonds, will center Matt Read and Jake Voracek on Thursday.

Valtteri Filppula will center Weal and Simmonds, and Travis Konecny will drop from the second to the fourth line, where he will be on a unit with Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Chris VandeVelde.

So Konecny gets demoted to the fourth line?

Mason is 1000% right and Voracek needs to put up or shut up.

He hasn't scored in March and has six games in this playoff push where he hasn't even put up an assist and he's -7 for the month so far.

#effort

Unless I missed it (which is possible) ... I have not seen Giroux call out this team due to lack of effort.  Matter of fact our "Captain" has been very quiet this year.  (It is possible he did say something...I can't read every article that printed).

I'm ok with Mason doing this even though is time here in Philly is just about up......someone has to do it.....

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Mason is 1000% right and Voracek needs to put up or shut up.

He hasn't scored in March and has six games in this playoff push where he hasn't even put up an assist and he's -7 for the month so far.

#effort

Yeah all i have seen Jake do is fumble and turnover the puck. He needs to look in the mirror hard.

Mason also although not all his fault has let in some he should have stopped.

Some he had no chance on because he doesn't even get a look at the puck because his damn own Dmen are to busy setting a screen on him.

However there are a few he needs to make in a playoff hunt.

I can't call it on how Hextall feels about bringing him back.

I don't care if they re-sign Mason or not.

But if the SKATERS on this team don't do a better job, whatever poor sap they put back there will be hung out to dry and blamed for their failure.

Again.

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't care if they re-sign Mason or not.

But if the SKATERS on this team don't do a better job, whatever poor sap they put back there will be hung out to dry and blamed for their failure.

Again.

There is no way THIS team comes back.

There will be changed mostly on the blueline so i think they improve.

How much well also depends on who is in net and how much better the forwards improve.

For once, I agree with everyone so far!  I didn't see the last half of the game the other night, but I noticed on the replay that he sort of just waived at the puck on the last goal in disgust. 

Mason hasnt been what we hoped for but I'm glad he said something.  Like @pilldoc said, Giroux hasn't said anything (publicly anyway) about his team's lackluster play, so why not the guy who's getting torched in most of the games.  If nothing is said, I feel like they're OK with losing.  Sort of like Hak...I don't feel like losing bothers that guy.

I respect Mason a lot more than I did.

Bottom line is that mason should put up and shut up...

To many times he has given up the softy when the team has skated their arses off.

nothing takes a team down like a soft goal during a push .

Don't let the door hit you on the way out ....

While I don't blame Mason for voicing his opinion in that particular game there are certainly plenty of other games that the skaters could have thrown him under the bus through the media but didn't.

Dude, you sucked for most of the year. The rest of the team just caught up to ya. 

Bottom line is when a mic is in your face don't give the media anyhing to run with keep it behind close doors.

I mean you don't have to Marshawn Lynch it or anything but keep it simple and boring for lack of a better term.

You give he media anything they can twist and you'll be back tracking for weeks.

6 hours ago, vis said:

Also noted in that Carchidi article is a change in lines for tonights game:

So Konecny gets demoted to the fourth line?

I am so effing sick of Hakstol and these GD line switchings. How the hell does this accomplish any damn thing?  What is wrong with this coach?  

As as far as the comments Mason joins a long line of flyers goaltenders giving their team or coach crap. 

Boosh, Roman, Bob, Bryz... what do all of them have in common?  

They were here all sent packing the off season following their comments. 

Boosh of course was brought back. Roman and Bryz had on ice melt downs and Bob won the Vezina. 

Wonder what Mason will come up with.  

Anyway everyone can start debating what kind of contract Bishop will get now. 

Thing is (as with Boosh and Bob but not Bryz and Roman IMHO) Mason is clearly correct.  

Their IRS effort was pathetic.  However Jake's comments leave me concerned. 

Ill actually start a new thread about that but suffice to say either he's full of crap and he thinks we're all idiots or he's telling the truth and the Flyers are simply the most poorly conditioned team in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

While I don't blame Mason for voicing his opinion in that particular game there are certainly plenty of other games that the skaters could have thrown him under the bus through the media but didn't.

Dude, you sucked for most of the year. The rest of the team just caught up to ya. 

I love how so many people here are shredding Mason for saying what we've been saying all year. 

Eff it. I'm with Mason.  Why not call them out at this point?  Clearly they have no shame.  Clearly Hakstol can't motivate them. Why the hell not call them out for being pathetic.  Not bad.   Not untalented.  

Just pathetically not playing remotely to their potential. 

2 hours ago, intheslot said:

To many times he has given up the softy when the team has skated their arses off.

Couldn't disagree more.  

The coach and team have called him out in bad goals.  They daily stuff like "we needed a few big saves and didn't get them" or the like. 

Mason on saying this is just redundant at worst.  He might well have told us what denomination the pope is and where bears poop.  

How's it his fault the team decided they didn't give a crap?

20 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I love how so many people here are shredding Mason for saying what we've been saying all year. 

Eff it. I'm with Mason.  Why not call them out at this point?  Clearly they have no shame.  Clearly Hakstol can't motivate them. Why the hell not call them out for being pathetic.  Not bad.   Not untalented.  

I can't speak for FC but i don't think he has that much of a problem with what he is saying other than the timing of it...and like he DID say what say something now when he has played like crap mostly all season...

...he shouldn't have said anything to the media at all. But he needs to look in the mirror too there have more than his fare share of softy/momentum killing goals he has let in and i don't recall anyone calling out the goaltender.

All i'm saying is Mason is living in a glass house so he should put the stones down....

7 hours ago, intheslot said:

Mason can stay or go, I don't particularly care.

But to say that the "team has skated the arses off" and lost because of a Mason "softy" is just ridiculous.

This team has been pathetic all season and deserves to be where they are.

Bernie Parent in his prime could be backing this team up and they'd be right where they are - which is where they deserve to be.

Look at their losses this month: two one-goal games, three two-goal games and one three-goal game. You aren't going to win with that offensive effort.

Look at last month's losses: two shutouts, three one-goal games, and a 6-3 loss (which was Neuvirth).

That's 15 losses in which they scored 15 goals.

Show me a goalie that wins consistently with a team scoring one goal a game.

Show me one goalie that does that. Ever.

This is crunch time and the team is putting up one goal a game in games they lose and they're "skating their arses off"?

Nonsense.

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

If Simmonds called them out, i'm fine with it. Provorov? Go right ahead. 

But goaltending is one of the BIG reasons this team isn't a playoff team. Masons .906 save percentage isn't exactly carrying the team on his back. 

Let he who is without sin cast the first pot/kettle living in glass houses.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If Simmonds called them out, i'm fine with it. Provorov? Go right ahead. 

But goaltending is one of the BIG reasons this team isn't a playoff team. Masons .906 save percentage isn't exactly carrying the team on his back. 

Let he who is without sin cast the first pot/kettle living in glass houses.

Provorov? You think a 20yo rookie should be calling his team out? Seriously?

But the guy that's getting hung out to dry every game can't? 

The main reason this team isn't a playoff team is that the skaters haven't held up their end. They got outright dominated by the worst team in the conference and lost to a team missing five defensemen and a goalie who hadn't started in two months.

In a "playoff push" that's downright unacceptable by any measure.

Sure, Mason is "one of" the reasons - but let's not overlook all of ther OTHER "big reasons"...

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Provorov? You think a 20yo rookie should be calling his team out? Seriously?

But the guy that's getting hung out to dry every game can't? 

The main reason this team isn't a playoff team is that the skaters haven't held up their end. They got outright dominated by the worst team in the conference and lost to a team missing five defensemen and a goalie who hadn't started in two months.

In a "playoff push" that's downright unacceptable by any measure.

Sure, Mason is "one of" the reasons - but let's not overlook all of ther OTHER "big reasons"...

All the other big reasons aren't calling out Mason though rad. Again, I'm all for someone calling these clowns out...I'm just not sure it's Masons place this year to be calling anyone out. 

I mentioned Provorov because he is one of the few who doesn't "dog it" and has got better as the season has gone on. So has Mason, but he hasn't exactly been "MVP" material this season. Provorov, on the other hand, I expect to win the Ashbee Award. I'm not expecting him to take that role as a 20 year old rookie...but to me he has more of a right (solely based on his play) complaining about his teammates than Mason does. 

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

All the other big reasons aren't calling out Mason though rad. Again, I'm all for someone calling these clowns out...I'm just not sure it's Masons place this year to be calling anyone out. 

I don't think Mason gives a damn at this point.

What does he have to lose?

Nothing.

You don't think not starting him for almost all of February and giving Neuvirth a contract wasn't effectively calling him out?

'cause I'm pretty sure he did.

13 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't think Mason gives a damn at this point.

What does he have to lose?

Nothing.

You don't think not starting him for almost all of February and giving Neuvirth a contract wasn't effectively calling him out?

'cause I'm pretty sure he did.

I don't think he gives a damn either. 

His teammates didn't bench him nor sign Neuvirth. 

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think he gives a damn either. 

His teammates didn't bench him nor sign Neuvirth. 

You don't think the coach has a role in calling players out, then?

It seemed that was the case when he was inexplicably benching Gotstobehere...

1 minute ago, radoran said:

You don't think the coach has a role in calling players out, then?

It seemed that was the case when he was inexplicably benching Gotstobehere...

The coach, yes. He's not Masons teammate though. 

Archived