Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Capitals sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins sweep 4=0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

11 hours ago, Samifan said:

Always amazed how excited Doc, Eddie and Regis McGuire get when the Pens score. I thought Doc was going to stop breathing after the tying goal.

yeah coming back from 0-2 to tie a playoff game in the last 2 minutes shouldn't arouse anyone... I would be pissed if the announcers weren't jacked. That was some exciting ****, the building was going nuts, i thought the announce crew was totally appropriate. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, B21 said:

My take...

Crosby or not, a cross check to the head should get you the 5:00 major which makes the Game Misconduct automatic per the NHL rules. I don't think this was premeditated at all. I will argue it was certainly opportunistic and an absolutely careless play by Niskanen. I've gone through the clips frame by frame and Crosby is already off balance and on his way down before there is any move by Niskanen to indicate he's looking to cross check. I think Niskanen certainly wanted to hit him. I don't think he purposely went for the head. That's said, it's the offending player's responsibility to be in control (of their body, stick, etc.) in situations like this. Because of that, I think Niskanen should sit for a game but won't kick up much of a fuss if he doesn't.

This is a good take on it. I don't even think Niskanen is looking at Crosby when he crosschecks him, so I doubt he meant to hit him in the head. But he did.

Now I'll take the Flyer fan perspective on it and say if that was Sid delivering the hit instead of receiving it, there isn't even a penalty. And that's the part that bothers the crap out of me when Crosby is involved in this stuff. 

But Niskanen should likely sit one.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@B21

I think that's a pretty fair take.  I don't think there was intent to injure on Niskanen's part either. 

Niskanen was going to hit Crosby as he made that move through the crease because it's hockey.  He wound up hitting him in the head and got what he deserved a 5 and a misconduct. Like you, I won't wail if Niskanen misses another game or if he's allowed the misconduct to be interpreted as "time served" . 

That isn't necessarily the hit the game doesn't need, it is an unfortunate outcome of playing a contact sport. 

The stick work and near slew foot from Ovechkin isn't awesome, and while we're mentioning it here, I didn't really notice a lot being said about that in the between period discussion. I missed the play live so perhaps it was mentioned immediately afterwards.  I think that #8's actions are what really caused the injury, I think if Crosby has the dreaded LBI it is because of the beginning of that sequence and not the end.

I think people were focusing on the Niskanen part of the hit because it was the direct cause of the injury and not looking back to see how Crosby got into that position in the first place. I think people will see that more as its rehashed today.  

This one was, as the Lemony Snicket series goes, a series of unfortunate events.  The Slash/highstick and tangling of the skates by Ovi causes Crosby to go off balance.   I think Niskanen is going to hit him no matter what, that's his job, and you can see him prepare for it as he puts both hand on the stick to get ready, I think he's just going to give him a solid little crosscheck to the back that you see a lot, but due to Crosby falling, when he extents his arms for the hit its to the side of Crosby's heady instead. 

I wouldn't really call what Ovi did a slewfoot, he just came through and their skates tangled.  If you want to see a Ovi slewfoot, which really had me upset at the time, look about three minutes left in the game with the goalie pulled and Ovi's chasing Shultz for a puck at the Pens blueline.  I'll try to find a video. That was pure luck that Shultz did not get injured as it looked like he went into the boards feet first. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

This is a good take on it. I don't even think Niskanen is looking at Crosby when he crosschecks him, so I doubt he meant to hit him in the head. But he did.

But Niskanen should likely sit one.

For sure. So many ways to go on this one, too. Niskanen isn't labeled that "type" of player but he and Crosby have a "history" (if you want to call that "fight" a "history"). The Caps did (coincidentally) dress 7 defensemen. Hmmm. That's one for the conspiracy theorists. Plus, it is Crosby with his concussion history and it is the Caps down 2-0 on the road in a situation about as desperate as desperate can be. I don't think the Caps are above pulling something like this to avoid what would (and still could) end up being a pretty hellish offseason. 

1 minute ago, nossagog said:

I think people were focusing on the Niskanen part of the hit because it was the direct cause of the injury and not looking back to see how Crosby got into that position in the first place. I think people will see that more as its rehashed today.  

This one was, as the Lemony Snicket series goes, a series of unfortunate events.  The Slash/highstick and tangling of the skates by Ovi causes Crosby to go off balance.   I think Niskanen is going to hit him no matter what, that's his job, and you can see him prepare for it as he puts both hand on the stick to get ready, I think he's just going to give him a solid little crosscheck to the back that you see a lot, but due to Crosby falling, when he extents his arms for the hit its to the side of Crosby's heady instead. 

I wouldn't really call what Ovi did a slewfoot, he just came through and their skates tangled.  If you want to see a Ovi slewfoot, which really had me upset at the time, look about three minutes left in the game with the goalie pulled and Ovi's chasing Shultz for a puck at the Pens blueline.  I'll try to find a video. That was pure luck that Shultz did not get injured as it looked like he went into the boards feet first. 

It's funny there isn't more comment on what Ovechkin did. I know they won't say but maybe Crosbys got a sore knee, and ovechkin also seems to get him in the head as well.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

yeah coming back from 0-2 to tie a playoff game in the last 2 minutes shouldn't arouse anyone... I would be pissed if the announcers weren't jacked. That was some exciting ****, the building was going nuts, i thought the announce crew was totally appropriate. 

I absolutely agree it was an exciting final three minutes and they announce crew had reason to be excited, I will not dispute that. My point is that the three amigos from NBC are definitely pro-pens and make no effort to hide it. Just listen to the way Doc calls any pens game, he seems to have more "umph" when the Pens score. 

Just my two cents....

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This.  Not to go off topic but I don't get the Doc hate. Never have. Never will. Doc gets excited over anything that might be a goal. I love listening to him call games. Love the corny catch phrases. Christ,  Mel Allen and Red Barber became legendary for that kind of creativity.

Nothing beats Doc calling a long slapper from the top of the circle: "Kessell with a DRIIIVVVVEEEEE!!!!!..." whether it's a goal or not.

Prediction:

Whoever wins Game 4 takes the series. If the Pens can sneak out a win and go up 3-1, I don't think the Caps are capable of winning 3 in a row against the Pens even without Crosby in the line-up.

If the Caps take it they go back to DC at 2-2 with all of the momentum against what will likely be a very demoralized Pens team.

Just now, Samifan said:

I absolutely agree it was an exciting final three minutes and they announce crew had reason to be excited, I will not dispute that. My point is that the three amigos from NBC are definitely pro-pens and make no effort to hide it. Just listen to the way Doc calls any pens game, he seems to have more "umph" when the Pens score. 

Just my two cents....

I have a love/hate view of Doc Emeric.  I think he is a good broadcaster. I don't like his verbs, an example is "ladleing" the puck, wtf is that ? He does do a great job keeping up with the action. I don't like that he still holds a grudge from his time as the Flyers voice. I wonder if Doc will ever take a shine to McJesus or Eichel the way he has to Sid ?

I know everyone hates Pierre, but I like him, I like his love of the game, I like that he knows how privileged he is to sit where he sits and do what he does. I like that he likes the players and gives them easy light in his interviews.  

5 minutes ago, B21 said:

This.  Not to go off topic but I don't get the Doc hate. Never have. Never will. Doc gets excited over anything that might be a goal. I love listening to him call games. Love the corny catch phrases. Christ,  Mel Allen and Red Barber became legendary for that kind of creativity.

Nothing beats Doc calling a long slapper from the top of the circle: "Kessell with a DRIIIVVVVEEEEE!!!!!..." whether it's a goal or not.

I just can't listen to him. It's not a Pens thing...it's a Doc Emerick thing. It's like he's calling a hockey game using chemistry terms if that makes sense. Never liked him the first time I ever heard him.

4 minutes ago, B21 said:

Official: No discipline for Niskanen (which I am OK with)...

http://www.tsn.ca/niskanen-will-not-face-discipline-for-hit-on-crosby-1.740480

Just another point to enter into evidence when the "Crosby-is-the-most-protected-player" wackadoos come out of hiding. :-)

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I just can't listen to him. It's not a Pens thing...it's a Doc Emerick thing. It's like he's calling a hockey game using chemistry terms if that makes sense. Never liked him the first time I ever heard him.

Fair. Not for everyone. I just don't see him being amped up any more for one team versus another. He's always amped.

Plus he's a huge Pittsburgh Pirates fan so he's OK in my book.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's funny there isn't more comment on what Ovechkin did. I know they won't say but maybe Crosbys got a sore knee, and ovechkin also seems to get him in the head as well.

Ovie did catch Crosby in the back of his head before the Niskanen hit. Has there been any update on Crosby? 

I am not a fan of the guy but I really hope its not another concussion.

1 minute ago, B21 said:

Fair. Not for everyone. I just don't see him being amped up any more for one team versus another. He's always amped.

Plus he's a huge Pittsburgh Pirates fan so he's OK in my book.

Plus it's 'scores"...not "scars".  :bonkingheadonwall:

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Ovie did catch Crosby in the back of his head before the Niskanen hit. Has there been any update on Crosby? 

I am not a fan of the guy but I really hope its not another concussion.

he didn't participate in practice today,but it was optional. That said, I think he would have come back last night if nothing was

wrong. I'd be surprised to see him tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, nossagog said:

he didn't participate in practice today,but it was optional. That said, I think he would have come back last night if nothing was

wrong. I'd be surprised to see him tomorrow.

Thanks, just saw the breaking news that he has a confirmed concussion. That sucks! 

My son plays hockey (midget & high school) and suffered a severe concussion the first game of the season. It was his first and the doctors said it should only be a couple of weeks recovery. He ended up missing the entire season due to the severe symptoms. As a parent it was very scary to watch him go through it. Gave me a perspective on those pro athletes that have suffered multiple ones.

Hope Sid  and Sheary are feeling better soon.

No surprise.  Crosby has a concussion and is out for Game 4.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/05/02/sidney-crosby-concussion-conor-sheary-penguins-capitals-nhl/stories/201705020132?pgpageversion=pgevoke

Sheary also has a concussion after that big hit from Hornqqvist (:dizzysmiley-1:) but is questionable for Game 4 (not sure how that is possible).

Sullivan: "He's very upbeat and he's very positive and we're very optimistic and we're hopeful we'll get him back in a timely fashion." Crosby was at the team's practice facility earlier in the day.

Fingers crossed. Time for Geno and Phil the Thrill to step up. 

This series suddenly just took a very interesting turn........

any word from the League if further action will be taken against Niskanen?

Finally...how many more concussions can Croby take in his career? 

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Thanks ..I guess that answers my question.  I bet a great many of Pen fans are not happy with that......

Probably only the ones that don't know hockey very well.   But I must say, I would love to know how many players of his career that Ovie had a hand in putting out of a lineup.   Now don't get me wrong, I said earlier, this seemed to be a series of unfortunate events.  But having a hand in injuring players in accidents seems to follow Ovie around. 

Archived