Hextall's Offseason Moves

JJMason33

9 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Read needs to go. There's no place for him and we can get his production at half the price of what he's getting paid. The problem is, who would take him? We could retain salary since we have the space and it's only for 1 season 

I think a lot of teams would want him, especially in a year when many teams are about to lose a Role playing forward in the Vegas draft... but yeah, retaining his salary might help. Making over 3 million in today's NHL suggests you're going to score a few goals.  Not a ton... just a few.  Read isn't.   Hextall might do that just to help Read out and get him on a team.  

Read's still a very good player in 180ft of the game.  He's just not scoring that well.  No one was, but it's hit him harder than it has the rest (who it's hit pretty badlly).  

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I agree it would be good to move him, I just don't think anyone will want him. Even if we keep 50% salary, I still don't think he's moveable -- for exactly the reasons you mentioned. 

Every team in the NHL is about to lose a role player almost exactly like Read.  Read is still a solid player in most of the game.  He's incredibly safe and incredibly responsible.  He plays 14 minutes a night and his Corsi and other play driving numbers are still very strong.  That's a player any team in this league can use.  

He scored 10 goals, 7 at even strength and 9 assists  (all at even strength).  That's still useful to most teams in this league.  HOWEVER, it's not something they want to take on a 3.5 million cap hit for.  Even if it is just for a year.  

Long and short, I don't think they'll have much trouble moving Read if they offer some salary retention.  He's actually much better than he gets credit for. 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

You can't have 4 scoring lines. Your 4th line needs to focus on defensive responsibilities and doing the physical work so that your scoring lines with top offensive players have the ability and and the chances to do what they are being paid the big bucks to do: score goals 

I look at it like 2 scoring lines... Giroux and Filppula... 1 Shutdown line.. Couturier... and 1 line made up of young versatile players that play protected minutes and can out score and out skate other teams 4th line.

If you think about it.. If you ask the other 3 lines to just play even with their matchups then having a 4th line of like Lindblom, #2, Weal would win you a decent number of games.

55 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

I look at it like 2 scoring lines... Giroux and Filppula... 1 Shutdown line.. Couturier... and 1 line made up of young versatile players that play protected minutes and can out score and out skate other teams 4th line.

If you think about it.. If you ask the other 3 lines to just play even with their matchups then having a 4th line of like Lindblom, #2, Weal would win you a decent number of games.

Couts is more than a shutdown guy. Having Giroux, Fil, Couts makes the team a three line threat down the middle. There are better centers, but these three are definitely good enough to anchor three productive scoring lines. The challenge is finding the right types of wingers to compliment them, as they are not difference makers in the same way as a very handful of franchise centermen are. With the right mix, I'm sure all three of them could prove to be solid contributors.

Like others around here, I also think Fil is a temporary fix. He's serviceable for now, but I really hope some other player takes a good enough step forward to fill the gap when he's gone. That could still turn out to be Couts, but it may be someone else as well. This is where a player like Patrick would be pretty great to get. He seems like pretty solid two-way 2C material. I have a feeling Hischier would end up on the wing rather than at center, much like Konecny. All of this is projection though. Anything can happen between now and then.

49 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Couts is more than a shutdown guy. Having Giroux, Fil, Couts makes the team a three line threat down the middle. There are better centers, but these three are definitely good enough to anchor three productive scoring lines. The challenge is finding the right types of wingers to compliment them, as they are not difference makers in the same way as a very handful of franchise centermen are. With the right mix, I'm sure all three of them could prove to be solid contributors.

Like others around here, I also think Fil is a temporary fix. He's serviceable for now, but I really hope some other player takes a good enough step forward to fill the gap when he's gone. That could still turn out to be Couts, but it may be someone else as well. This is where a player like Patrick would be pretty great to get. He seems like pretty solid two-way 2C material. I have a feeling Hischier would end up on the wing rather than at center, much like Konecny. All of this is projection though. Anything can happen between now and then.

Most people don't realize Couts scored at even strength at or above the level of the league's top 2-way centers (Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron).  They're all significantly better on the PP than he is and that's the difference maker.  

I assume the hope is that #2 slides into Filppula's role after the deadline/next season.  This is impossible to tell, but between #2 and Rubtsov coming along, I think there's a reason to hope if not expect that we won't need to go Center Shopping next season like I originally anticipated back before the deadline.

Lastly, no matter who it is, if #2 becomes a decent player and sticks around the Flyers for a while, I hope his nickname becomes #2.   With Mark How's number retired, I hope he takes #22 (sorry Tocchet) and that they play the clip from Austin Powers every time he scores a goal.

"My Number two man... I call him.. Number two!"

2 hours ago, JJMason33 said:

How's that not make our 4th line a scoring line?  

Also, Couturier is indeed a shut down center and his line often plays that role, starting in their own end so much and drawing the toughest assignments, but at even strength he actually scores okay and will likely be able to produce far more than he has been once the defense isn't so porous (look at the last months of the season and his increased output with Weise and Schenn--not necessarily 2 even strength juggernauts). 

I think the hope is that Lindblom is a top 6 and a finisher on the LW.  Maybe even the one that Giroux has so desperately needed all this time.  

Ultimately, my point is that i believe this team, under Hextall and under Hakstol will look for all the lines to be defensively responsible (just hopefully not responsible for quite as much from now on) but also to drive the play offensively and score.  I base this on the way all the lines acted at the beginning of the season and then again at the end of the season combined withe potential sheer talent filling up the roster over the next two seasons.  

These are really good problems to have.  Although we may be over-estimating the talent on the team.  I just hope everything turns out as well as I'm hoping.  I really want #2 to be that guy for us, and not just another very good player.

And I have a feeling Hakstol will be here to transition and teach the young players, but we will likely bring in another coach to get us over the hump and become winners.

3 hours ago, JJMason33 said:

These are really good problems to have.  Although we may be over-estimating the talent on the team.  I just hope everything turns out as well as I'm hoping.  I really want #2 to be that guy for us, and not just another very good player.

And I have a feeling Hakstol will be here to transition and teach the young players, but we will likely bring in another coach to get us over the hump and become winners.

I really think the team was in good shape before the #2 pick fell into their laps.  I'm not sure who's overestimating the talent on the team.  I don't know that anyone's said anything specific about expectations or timing.  I'll just go as far as to call the team that's shaping up, much better than the one we were looking at the past 4 years.  

Hakstol's been stuck with a world class messed up defensive squad and totally screwed roster due to cap issues.  

There's a lot I'd like to see out of him that I can attribute to him being green in the NHL.  but his actual systems and such... we just haven't had much to go on.  Nothing we've seen so far should be any indication of his coaching abilities in that department because his roster has just been wildly inept and unable to execute for long stretches of time.  

I have hope for him.   Learning when to call a time out would be a great big step.

Who ever is 2nd pick is just like the other guys earn your place on the team!! Like to see them to go to Phathoms and earn it. Like I said three times earn it. Go learn in the AHL if they don"t earn the job.

11 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Who ever is 2nd pick is just like the other guys earn your place on the team!! Like to see them to go to Phathoms and earn it. Like I said three times earn it. Go learn in the AHL if they don"t earn the job.

Neither can go to the AHL for another year.  They'll be Flyers or back to Juniors.

If they're not good enough to make the team, they'll go back to Juniors.

Which brings us back to the question of whether you keep them in the NHL just to put them on a line with Raffl and Read and get 8 minutes a night?

The reality is that Hextall only needs to make one real move, which puts the Flyers in a fantastic position. There's lots of talented, quality youth in the pipeline that is developing. There is youth that's ready to crack the main roster. There is youth currently on the main roster and there are a few young veterans as well. The reality is that the expansion draft will mean one of Raffl or Read is gone. Which ever one doesn't get selected, the other will probably be dealt for a marginal draft choice just to get the salary off the books and free up two spots. As for defense, Hextall knows he has to do something with MacDonald because that contract is an absolute albatross. If he can get out from underneath that contract (even if it means eating some salary to move him), that's a plus. 

The only position that really needs to be addressed is goaltending and right now, the only the Flyers need is just a capable stopper to hold down the fort until one of Sandstrom, Hart, Madsen, etc.....are ready. Personally, I'm a big fan of Stolarz, but I don't think management and coaching are sold on him and he's never going to get a fair shake, no matter how well he plays. So, even if he's relegated to back up status and can get into 25 to 30 games a year, I'm content with Jonathan Bernier (I've touched on the history between Bernier, Hextall and Dillabaugh) or Brian Elliott (a guy who has played behind a young defense in St. Louis and can really help our defense blossom just by being a sort of defensive coach on the ice to keep them aware and in position). 

I'm really looking forward to what the season is going to bring. I'm thinking that we're probably going to see the following lineup going forward:

Konecny - Giroux - Voracek

Weal - 2nd overall - Simmonds

Lindblom - Couturier - Schenn

Weise - Filppula - Bellemare/Laughton

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

Hagg - Sanheim

Manning

Elliott/Bernier

Stolarz

I don't know if this is a playoff roster, but it's going to be young, fast, hard hitting and should give opponents fits. One other thing I forgot to mention though about Hextall's off season is that the Flyers desperately need a new assistant coach with experience in the league. Now that Mike Kitchen is gone from Chicago, maybe he can come in and help Hakstol with the finer points. I know a lot of people are very unhappy with how Hakstol handled the team this past year, but I think having a real veteran assistant on the bench behind him (especially one with Stanley Cup championship experience) will go a long way in help Hak manage the finer aspects of the game. Having that veteran guy also helps as a go between with regards to the head coach and players and I honestly think it's something Hextall should have done when he hired Hak. I'm also very confident that Hakstol being part of the coaching staff at the World Championships right now should help him when he it comes time for training camp in the fall. Him getting to work with other good coaches should help him in terms of bench management and creating lines. 

59 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The reality is that Hextall only needs to make one real move, which puts the Flyers in a fantastic position. There's lots of talented, quality youth in the pipeline that is developing. There is youth that's ready to crack the main roster. There is youth currently on the main roster and there are a few young veterans as well. The reality is that the expansion draft will mean one of Raffl or Read is gone. Which ever one doesn't get selected, the other will probably be dealt for a marginal draft choice just to get the salary off the books and free up two spots. As for defense, Hextall knows he has to do something with MacDonald because that contract is an absolute albatross. If he can get out from underneath that contract (even if it means eating some salary to move him), that's a plus. 

The only position that really needs to be addressed is goaltending and right now, the only the Flyers need is just a capable stopper to hold down the fort until one of Sandstrom, Hart, Madsen, etc.....are ready. Personally, I'm a big fan of Stolarz, but I don't think management and coaching are sold on him and he's never going to get a fair shake, no matter how well he plays. So, even if he's relegated to back up status and can get into 25 to 30 games a year, I'm content with Jonathan Bernier (I've touched on the history between Bernier, Hextall and Dillabaugh) or Brian Elliott (a guy who has played behind a young defense in St. Louis and can really help our defense blossom just by being a sort of defensive coach on the ice to keep them aware and in position). 

I'm really looking forward to what the season is going to bring. I'm thinking that we're probably going to see the following lineup going forward:

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

Hagg - Sanheim

Manning

Elliott/Bernier

Stolarz

I don't know if this is a playoff roster, but it's going to be young, fast, hard hitting and should give opponents fits. One other thing I forgot to mention though about Hextall's off season is that the Flyers desperately need a new assistant coach with experience in the league. Now that Mike Kitchen is gone from Chicago, maybe he can come in and help Hakstol with the finer points. I know a lot of people are very unhappy with how Hakstol handled the team this past year, but I think having a real veteran assistant on the bench behind him (especially one with Stanley Cup championship experience) will go a long way in help Hak manage the finer aspects of the game. Having that veteran guy also helps as a go between with regards to the head coach and players and I honestly think it's something Hextall should have done when he hired Hak. I'm also very confident that Hakstol being part of the coaching staff at the World Championships right now should help him when he it comes time for training camp in the fall. Him getting to work with other good coaches should help him in terms of bench management and creating lines. 

Excellent post @BobbyClarkeFan16!  I can certainly get behind the roster you mentioned.  I agree it might not be a playoff roster quite yet, simply because you would have 3 rookies on "D".  They will certainly have their share of bumps in the road. 

One question that comes to mind would be the health of Stolaz.  As we all know he had surgery a few weeks ago because of the injury he sustained during the Phantoms playoff run.    Will he be healthy enough to be the back-up? Where does Neuvirth fit in this picture as he signed an extension a few weeks ago. 

Also what about Vecchione?  Will he be a healthy scratch most nights? I truly do believe either Read or Raffle will be going to Vegas.

Finally, I can see Patrick playing 2C if the Devils select Nico, but what if the Devils take Patrick?  I know I have read that Nico could also play wing.  You could move Filppula up to 2C and then have Nico on wing.  Move Weal down to 3rd line? However, then you have to move Lindblom.  I think Schenn on 3rd line is just about right.

Camp will certainly be entertaining to say the least .......

However....we must first get through the expansion draft.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:52 AM, RJ8812 said:

Read needs to go. There's no place for him and we can get his production at half the price of what he's getting paid. The problem is, who would take him? We could retain salary since we have the space and it's only for 1 season 

Las Vegas.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Stolarz had surgery on his MCL, not the ACL, so it's a six week time frame to heal up and then he can start working out. Stolarz should be more than ready by the time training camp rolls around. 

Ahh ..thanks...  I missed that it was only MCL.  Thant is good news ...

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

Hagg - Sanheim

Manning

Elliott/Bernier

Stolarz

I'm not sure a Konecny, Giroux, Voracek line will be a winning combo. They had their chance this year, and they had very little in the way of success. Granted, that could be for any number of factors, but I'm just not sure it's a winning mix. Sure, they're all pretty fast -- especially Konecny -- but they're also primarily puck movers. Giroux needs a shooter, which Voracek is definitely not, and Konecny has yet to prove he can be at this level.

A number of folks around here have Lindblom pencilled in on that line. It's always hard to say with youngins like him, but he did dominate in what is arguably the second best league in the world. I haven't seen him play a ton, but he does seem to be less of a playmaker and more of a sniper, which I think is what someone like Giroux clearly needs. He's also a larger body than Konecny, which I do think is important in this case.

Giroux played some of his best years with Hartnell on the wing. I know Hartnell is a mixed bag for some, but he was good at doing little things that opened the door for Giroux. If Lindblom can channel at least some of that mix, I think he deserves a look playing with the big boys.

Konecny, and to a lesser extent Weal, is someone I would love to see playing with Couts. Couts does a lot of things very well. His major downside is his foot speed. I'd be curious to see him playing with a pair of speedy wingers who can profit from his ability to break plays and get the puck moving in the right direction (something he does better than any other forward on the team imo). I'd like to see Konecny moved to RW with someone like Weal -- or better yet Hischier -- playing on the left.

Something like:

Lindblom (trial) / Giroux / Voracek

Schenn / Filppula / Simmonds

Hischier (?) / Couts / Konecny

PEB / Vecchione / Weise / Read or Raffl (Vegas)

That's assuming Hischier. It's also assuming he'd be ready for NHL action right away, which may not be the case. If Patrick is the pick, things get rather more interesting. From what I've read, he would almost certainly be playing center and not wing, which would give us quite a glut at the position. My guess is Filppula would end up on a wing in that case. The lines also get rather tougher to predict imo. I highly doubt Patrick would be played on the 4th line, but I don't know that he would draw up 2C duties right out of the gate either... hard to say.

Weal isn't signed currently. I think the only way he gets signed is if Raffl gets fished by Vegas and Read gets traded or bought out. I'm not sure how that situation will shake down, but it's a tricky one for sure. I'd sort of prefer to have him stay, as I do think he's a better option than Weise or Read. Of course, if he does stay, there's a solid chance he ends up on the 4th line, which may not be what he wants either. He hasn't really proven himself to be top six material, but he hasn't floundered either. I'd say he should get a look on at least the third, which is something he may not get a chance to do on this team.

So much up in the air this year...

Another configuration I would like to see:

Lindblom / Giroux / Simmonds

Hischier / Filppula / Voracek (or) Filppula / Patrick / Voracek

Weal / Couts / Konecny

Schenn / Vecchione / PEB / Weise

This is assuming Raffl gets fished and Read gets traded or bought out.

Again, it's really hard to predict this year. Food for thought though.

I cannot remember a time when there was this much young high-end talent in the Flyers system.

Ron Hextall has done a pretty remarkable job going from nothing and no one to, geez what are we going to do with all these defensmen/ centers et al. ?

I realize many of these dudes won't reach their ceiling but even if a third do, the organization should be competitive for years to come. 

This year was disappointing on the ice but knowing there is a pile of young, hungry, speedy guys pushing the vets really gives me a sense of hope.

I have no idea what the moves should be, I think it's pretty cool that we talked about this for 25 or so posts and no one mentioned last year's number 1 pick , who isn't chopped liver, who played as a young guy on his country's under 20 team, played okay but was upstaged by another Flyer prospect ... when has that happened ? ever?

On 5/20/2017 at 9:39 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

Hagg - Sanheim

Manning

Elliott/Bernier

Stolarz

I want something more than Elliott/Bernier. I don't think that tandem is all that much better than Mason/Neuvirth. I'm not as big a Brian Elliott fan as some on this board.

20 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I want something more than Elliott/Bernier. I don't think that tandem is all that much better than Mason/Neuvirth. I'm not as big a Brian Elliott fan as some on this board.

Well, there really aren't many other options out there right now.

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I'm with you. I'm honestly a bit surprised Stolarz isn't a main feature in this conversation. I choose to believe the brass have some sort of info or inkling about him that is preventing Hextall from giving him a legit shot in the big league. I just wish I knew what that was.

I don't imagine anyone looks at Stolarz and sees a true franchise goalie or anything, but I have a hard time thinking he's any worse than our tandem from last year. Also, much like you, I am not an Elliott fan. I also don't much like Bernier. Rather than waste time with one of those less-than-stellar options, why not just bring up the kid who's been under the Flyers umbrella for some years now and give him a real shot?

Again, I assume they have their reasons. I'm clearly not privy to their thought process after all. I can only assume their reasons are solid and move on.

18 hours ago, FD19372 said:

You don't think it is a better tandem, because it isn't.

Also, too, Neuvirth is under contract and unless Vegas takes him, will be part of whatever tandem is here next season.

Elliott just put up 2.55/.910 behind an actual playoff team. How big of a difference is that from 2.66/.908 from Mason this season or even the 2.51/.918 Mason put up last year behind a playoff team?

Not much.

Then you have the 3.89/.880 Elliott posted in the postseason - again not much different than the 4.09/.852 Mason put up last time the Flyers were in the playoffs.

And I can't even imagine this board enduring Elliott's November of last season - 0-5-1, 3.68, .869 - or how his April play of 0-3, 3.52/.871 would go down.

The odds are that Mason will want too much for too long for the Flyers, but there are better options than Elliott out there.

As for Bernier, in his stint as a starter in Tronno the past two seasons he put up 2.88/.908 and 2.87/.912. Not world-beating numbers by any stretch.

15 hours ago, elmatus said:

Rather than waste time with one of those less-than-stellar options, why not just bring up the kid who's been under the Flyers umbrella for some years now and give him a real shot?

I'd be inclined to agree with this. If they're going to go the spit and bailing wire approach to the goaltending, may as well find out what they have. Bring in a Budaj as your cheap stopgap starter and give some time to the Highly Touted Goalie Prospects to find out if one can steal the crease.

The problem though, and RJ8812 pointed this out, is that there isn't much available out there in terms of goaltenders. It's clear Mason burnt his bridge here on the way out, so he's gone. As well, free agency leaves a bit to be desired in terms of goaltenders and right now, if you're looking at free agents, I'd say that Elliott and Bernier are the best of a mediocre bunch. Right now, everyone is clamouring for a starter. What the Flyers need is a stop gap until one of the prized prospects are ready. It doesn't make sense for Hextall to go out and look for a bonafide number one because the cost is simply too high. Right now, the Flyers are more than a legitimate goaltender away from the Stanley Cup. They need to hope that all the youth on defense pans out and that guys like Konecny, Lindblom and the 2nd overall choice are players from the get go and a guy like Weal is more than a one year wonder and that guys like Laughton and Leier are ready to make the jump full time and push people out of jobs. That's a lot to ask for in one year. Right now, the goaltending situation should be about holding down the fort and helping get the defense to the next level. Mason certainly isn't the guy to do that because he has a tendency to throw players under the bus. Do you want that from a goaltender who will be working with a young defense? Bernier put up decent numbers in Toronto when you consider how much of flustercuck that situation was. Elliott has a history of working well behind a defense with young players and has often helped them adapt at the next level. So, pick your poison because that's what's happening. As for Neuvirth and the contract he signed, I'm still thinking if he doesn't get picked up in the expansion draft, he gets moved to a place like Winnipeg, where they were planning on pursuing him anyways. With a decent contract under his belt, there's some value there for Mike. It also allows Stolarz to move into the back up role with whoever the free agent starter is and the Flyers can start the transition process in nets. I figure next season, Sandstrom comes over and the scene changes immediately.

On 5/19/2017 at 3:05 PM, King Knut said:

Neither can go to the AHL for another year.  They'll be Flyers or back to Juniors

I thought I had read one of them is eligible for the AHL, due to a loan agreement(Hischier).  Could be wrong but I remember thinking if he fell to the Flyers, it would be a great option to have him start in the AHL, and move up at some point during the year--vs Patrick who is NHL or back to junior. 

Anyone?

48 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I thought I had read one of them is eligible for the AHL, due to a loan agreement(Hischier).  Could be wrong but I remember thinking if he fell to the Flyers, it would be a great option to have him start in the AHL, and move up at some point during the year--vs Patrick who is NHL or back to junior. 

Anyone?

I believe Hischeir said that in the press but  soon had hims of corrected.  He was mistaken. He was not "on loan". 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The problem though, and RJ8812 pointed this out, is that there isn't much available out there in terms of goaltenders. It's clear Mason burnt his bridge here on the way out, so he's gone. As well, free agency leaves a bit to be desired in terms of goaltenders and right now, if you're looking at free agents, I'd say that Elliott and Bernier are the best of a mediocre bunch. Right now, everyone is clamouring for a starter. What the Flyers need is a stop gap until one of the prized prospects are ready. It doesn't make sense for Hextall to go out and look for a bonafide number one because the cost is simply too high. Right now, the Flyers are more than a legitimate goaltender away from the Stanley Cup. They need to hope that all the youth on defense pans out and that guys like Konecny, Lindblom and the 2nd overall choice are players from the get go and a guy like Weal is more than a one year wonder and that guys like Laughton and Leier are ready to make the jump full time and push people out of jobs. That's a lot to ask for in one year. Right now, the goaltending situation should be about holding down the fort and helping get the defense to the next level. Mason certainly isn't the guy to do that because he has a tendency to throw players under the bus. Do you want that from a goaltender who will be working with a young defense? Bernier put up decent numbers in Toronto when you consider how much of flustercuck that situation was. Elliott has a history of working well behind a defense with young players and has often helped them adapt at the next level. So, pick your poison because that's what's happening. As for Neuvirth and the contract he signed, I'm still thinking if he doesn't get picked up in the expansion draft, he gets moved to a place like Winnipeg, where they were planning on pursuing him anyways. With a decent contract under his belt, there's some value there for Mike. It also allows Stolarz to move into the back up role with whoever the free agent starter is and the Flyers can start the transition process in nets. I figure next season, Sandstrom comes over and the scene changes immediately.

Bernier is another Bryzgalov waiting to happen.  I stay away.  

The Flyers are closer than you think.  The real key isn't Lindblom and Konecny and Rubstov and #2... the real key is Morin and Hagg and Sanheim.  If Morin and Hagg can even just play their roles at the NHL level, this team is significantly improved.  Add in the offense you mentioned (plus maybe Weal and Rubstov in the next 2 years) and things are very very different in a good way. 

Archived