Cousins traded to the Yotes

Samifan

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

I am still in shock that AZ protected Luke Schenn - yes, that Luke Schenn.  :IDunnoSmiley:

I think in Arizona it's literally about warm bodies on defense.  

Also, they have him on a pretty advantageous deal don't they? 

Would any of us have complained about Luke half as much if we hadn't traded a 30 goal scorer for him and he only cost 1.25 million?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don't see the advantage from the Flyers perspective.  I think it actually helps the Yotes out a lot.  Cousins will play there and be a helpful addition to the team in all likelihood.  He's not going to be a star, but he'll get minutes that he probably wouldn't in Philly at this point.  

Getting a prospect that no one thinks will ever make the NHL and a 5th round pick just doesn't seem like "Getting something" for Cousins.    Granted, Cousins was himself a throw in from another deal, but nevertheless...  I'm just not sure I see the advantage to trading two players for this yield rather than just letting Vegas take Cousins.   Especially if you were going to protect Laughton anyway.  

And let me be clear, I actually DO assume that there was a point to this deal.  I just don't see it yet.  I find it curious and am eager to see what unfolds.  That's all I mean.

Streit for Filppula made no sense to me until the Penguins acquired Streit and the Bolts got cap space.  

Different but along those lines.

I think it just opens up a roster spot.... fewer players fighting for even fewer spots. Cousins has to pass through waivers (I think?), so instead of losing him for nothing, they at least got something. Plus it forces Vegas to take a player with a higher salary, instead of possibly Cousins.The Flyers didn't figure him into future plans.

Madsen, I suspect, was just a "nice" thing to do because there's not really any room for him to develop with us right now. 

I guess that's the benefit of drafting a lot of players.... of all the goalies we've taken, we've seen Hart and Sandstrom rise head and shoulders above the rest, so the others become a bit more expendable. But it could have been Madsen that rose and Sandstrom that did nothing, and then they could have dealt Sandstrom. 

Also, rumor has it that Madsen was unlikely to sign with the Flyers due to the prospect depth at the goalie position, and he is scheduled to become a UFA in August 2018.

I like Cousins...   but let's be real here.   His subtraction is not causing the "PLAN" to change.  It was nothing more than opening a roster spot.   

Best of luck to Nick but this really is not a big deal to me.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Also, rumor has it that Madsen was unlikely to sign with the Flyers due to the prospect depth at the goalie position, and he is scheduled to become a UFA in August 2018.

Oh yeah, I totally think this was a buddy move for Madsen to get him into a position where he might actually even get to see some AHL time in the next three years (dude is going back to college from what I understand so he wasn't playing anywhere this year anyway).  

58 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I like Cousins...   but let's be real here.   His subtraction is not causing the "PLAN" to change.  It was nothing more than opening a roster spot.   

Best of luck to Nick but this really is not a big deal to me.

Losing the player isn't a big deal at all.  feeling the need to dump him what will probably amount to two minor league roster fillers is the odd part to me.  

Best case scenario, (and this is still pretty cagey of Hextall) it sort of ensures that Vegas will be drafting a player that costs at least 2 million bucks.  

15 hours ago, King Knut said:

Best case scenario, (and this is still pretty cagey of Hextall) it sort of ensures that Vegas will be drafting a player that costs at least 2 million bucks.  

You say cagey; I say brilliant.

44 minutes ago, elmatus said:

You say cagey; I say brilliant.

It certainly looks like more than luck. 

Trading Cousins and protecting Laughton really suggests intention to me. 

Warch them take PEB just to spite him. 

57 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It certainly looks like more than luck. 

Trading Cousins and protecting Laughton really suggests intention to me. 

Warch them take PEB just to spite him. 

And I would have no problem with that scenario as well!

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

And I would have no problem with that scenario as well!

I really figured that PEB's raise had a lot to do with the vegas draft or potential trades.  Just Hextall kinda taking care of the guy everyone loves so much in case he leaves town.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

I really figured that PEB's raise had a lot to do with the vegas draft or potential trades.  Just Hextall kinda taking care of the guy everyone loves so much in case he leaves town.  

Honestly I think that might be the reason as well.  

Hockey sure was not part of that deal b/c he is overpaid for what he brings - seems to have been paid on his leadership.   Seems to be a great guy in the room but I would not be all that sad if he was picked in the ED.   

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

Honestly I think that might be the reason as well.  

Hockey sure was not part of that deal b/c he is overpaid for what he brings - seems to have been paid on his leadership.   Seems to be a great guy in the room but I would not be all that sad if he was picked in the ED.   

Not moving him, when apparently there were several teams interested at the trade deadline, was and is a head-scratcher.

Just now, King Knut said:

I think it was more a disincentive to take PEB. As you've noted, the salary cap isn't too too much of an issue for the team at the moment and giving PEB a big bump for an underperforming player that "everyone loves" would make it less palatable to take the 4th line stalwart in the expansion draft.

I just don't see where taking a 32-year-old 4th liner making $1.45M makes any sense to Vegas at all.

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

I think it was more a disincentive to take PEB. As you've noted, the salary cap isn't too too much of an issue for the team at the moment and giving PEB a big bump for an underperforming player that "everyone loves" would make it less palatable to take the 4th line stalwart in the expansion draft.

I just don't see where taking a 32-year-old 4th liner making $1.45M makes any sense to Vegas at all.

Apparently there were multiple calls about PEB at the Deadline.  Seems like other teams appreciate what he brings as well.   Must not have been terribly impressive offers.

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Apparently there were multiple calls about PEB at the Deadline.  Seems like other teams appreciate what he brings as well.   Must not have been terribly impressive offers.

A team looking for an expiring contract at the deadline to plug a hole in a playoff run is an entirely different kettle of fish from one starting a new roster in an expansion draft looking at a two year contract at $1.45M per for a 32yo who had the fewest points of any forward in the league that played 70+ games.

I appreciate what he brings to the Flyers. I just think the Flyers overpaid to make him a less attractive Vegas target.

Again because, as you have noted, they have the cap space to do it and because he does have value in this league.

Just not $1.45M per value for an expansion franchise.

IMO.

YMMV.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

A team looking for an expiring contract at the deadline to plug a hole in a playoff run is an entirely different kettle of fish from one starting a new roster in an expansion draft looking at a two year contract at $1.45M per for a 32yo who had the fewest points of any forward in the league that played 70+ games.

I appreciate what he brings to the Flyers. I just think the Flyers overpaid to make him a less attractive Vegas target.

Again because, as you have noted, they have the cap space to do it and because he does have value in this league.

Just not $1.45M per value for an expansion franchise.

IMO.

YMMV.

I don't disagree with any of that.  I think overpaying him as a sort of de-facto expansion draft protection was the premise of these recent posts.  

the idea that if Vegas did take him or Hextall did trade him, he'd at least have a few more bucks guaranteed is sort of just a little bonus benefit for the player.

Like you, I can't imagine why Vegas would take him unless they found themselves right up against the cap somehow.

As stated eslewhere, Hextall's maneuverings have really made it so Vegas is either going to draft a player of little long term NHL value due to age or other factors (i.e. Bellemare, Colin McDonald, etc) or they're going to have draft a player making 2.35 million+  

If You're McPhee, you say, hell, I'm either spending too much for a guy I'm going to lose in a year or 2 (Raffl/Read/Bellemare) or I'm getting a decent AHL player (Leier, Colin McDonald, Wellwood).  

At least if he drafts Weise or MacDonald, he'll have an NHL player three seasons.  

At the end of the day, even objectively, it really makes Neuvirth look like as good an option as any for McPhee.

Honestly, looking at the list at hand, if I'm  McPhee and knowing what he's said, I'm looking at Leier, or maybe even Carey or even Alt or Brennan.    

However if It's ME and not McPhee, I take Raffl.  

34 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If You're McPhee, you say, hell, I'm either spending too much for a guy I'm going to lose in a year or 2 (Raffl/Read/Bellemare) or I'm getting a decent AHL player (Leier, Colin McDonald, Wellwood).

Wellwood? Yeah, about him....

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

i forgot

Philly.com has him on their exposed list.  Threw me.  

I'm also confused about that. He's listed in the official NHL list. My guess is he hasn't officially signed his retirement papers 

4 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I'm also confused about that. He's listed in the official NHL list. My guess is he hasn't officially signed his retirement papers 

I figured he was still LTIR somehow or something, but he's not on Cap Friendly's roster.  Maybe they technically own his rights for a few more years, but he's not under contract?

11 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I figured he was still LTIR somehow or something, but he's not on Cap Friendly's roster.  Maybe they technically own his rights for a few more years, but he's not under contract?

That would be my guess. I think I remember them qualifying him out of good faith before he announced his retirement. So we will have his "rights" until he turns 27 

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

That would be my guess. I think I remember them qualifying him out of good faith before he announced his retirement. So we will have his "rights" until he turns 27 

IT appears he's coaching in Flint.  So that's nice for him.  

Still a real bummer for the kid.  I hope everyone on the Flyers wears those damn teflon socks or whatever they are now.  

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

I hope everyone on the Flyers wears those damn teflon socks or whatever they are now.  

Kevlar socks.  They don't prevent all cuts but can certainly minimize the damage.  

Giroux escaped with only a minor laceration a couple years ago when he caught a skate in the Achilles area.   I don't think he was wearing kevlar socks at the time.  

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Kevlar socks.  They don't prevent all cuts but can certainly minimize the damage.  

Giroux escaped with only a minor laceration a couple years ago when he caught a skate in the Achilles area.   I don't think he was wearing kevlar socks at the time.  

Pretty sure Wellwood was wearing them too

Archived