Cousins traded to the Yotes

Samifan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Samifan changed the title to Cousins traded to the Yotes
11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

A pick AND a prospect for Cousins not bad i say without even knowing what they are yet.

Some dude named Warren and a 5th rounder per TSN. Hextall also shipping Goalie Madsen to Arizona in the deal.

Do not like this trade at all.  Sure Cousins might have been selected by Vegas in the expansion draft but now we will just lose someone else (Laughton?).  The only positive I can see of this is that they feel Weal is very close to signing and will use the final protection spot on him.  

The 5th will most likely amount to nothing and this Warren fellow doesn't sound like he can even crack the Phantoms.  

A head-scratcher to say the least... not that I expected Cousins to ever amount to more than a bottom 6 forward.  Maybe just clearing room/cap for another deal.  Otherwise it just seems like we did Arizona a favor.

Brendan Warren models his game on perennial Detroit Red Wings pest Justin Abdelkader. Love him or hate him (mainly, hate him), but Abdelkader is one of the best models for what the modern-day NHL enforcer is: a troublemaker who can play solid minutes and contribute offensively.

Warren’s best asset is his skating ability, which allows him to anticipate plays and be at the right place on the ice at the right time. That helps Warren avoid unnecessary penalties (he had only 18 PIMs in 38 games last season) while simultaneously giving him the chance to create opportunities for himself and his teammates.

https://www.fiveforhowling.com/2016/8/17/12503778/arizona-coyotes-21-under-21---20---brendan-warren

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brendan-warren/

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/6/2/8687793/brendan-warren-scouting-report-nhl-draft-profile

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Warren's best asset has always been his skating. Though he spent most of this past season playing on the wing, he's capable of playing center. He's a player that competes hard and is willing to go into tough areas and work along the boards to win pucks.

The downside to Warren's game is that his hands have never quite been able to keep up with his feet. A lack of creativity with the puck and high-end finishing ability has led Warren to put up rather pedestrian scoring numbers. He's much better in a supporting offensive role than as a player that drives play with the puck.

How does he project as a pro?

Warren likely won't ever be a go-to goal-scorer at the pro level, but he's not without value. He's a strong enough skater and smart enough to play center at the NHL level, and a shutdown defensive centerman is a very valuable commodity. If his lack of playmaking ability precludes him from playing up the middle, he could also be effective as a two-way forward that can affect the game with his speed and his work along the boards.

The Michigan commit is one of the better two-way forwards in the age group and a player that continues to show an emerging offensive game. Warren has good size at 6-foot, 175lbs, and is an extremely smart player with a very strong understanding of the game. Much like Strome, Warren is at his best when he can handle the puck and slow the pace of the game down in the offensive zone.

A strong skater, Warren also projects as an effective shut-down centre capable of logging heavy minutes against the other team’s top line while still being a legitimate offensive threat.

Warren is a true north/south player who has a powerful skating stride, which catapults him up the ice in a hurry. Not much messing around for this future Michigan Wolverine as he plays a blue collar game with some offensive touch. Has a nose for the net and gets in quick on the forecheck to provide pressure. He isn’t a guy who wins every race with speed, but has the ability to get moving quickly and catch opponents if they are napping.

http://bsndenver.com/nhl-draft-prospect-profile-brendan-warren/

NHL Potential

Warren was buried a bit on an extremely talented team but served his role well. Given a chance to see more ice, he could develop into a second line player on a weaker team but is better suited long-term to being a third line energy role player. On a deep team, he could become a very good fourth liner with the ability to chip in more points than expected from someone in that role.

I have to think Cousins had more upside offensively than Laughton but the latter may be seen as a better two-way player if he can stick around.  The Madsen loss is probably a reflection on how many goalies we have in the system. 

Another take on picking up this guy and or trying to keep Laughton around:  Weise is left unprotected and Coots is traded.  I suspect this guy could be as competent as Weise (not saying much) at less cost.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Another take on picking up this guy and or trying to keep Laughton around:  Weise is left unprotected and Coots is traded.  I suspect this guy could be as competent as Weise (not saying much) at less cost.

I dont understand how trading Cousins, a player that couldnt establish himself in the bottom-6, would lead you to think Couturier is being traded to keep Laughton around 

Warren will be lucky to make the NHL.   Not a very high prospect to begin with.

The only thing I can assume is that Hextall is clearing room for the forward group since there too many players and not enough roster spots.

Even so this head scratcher considering Warren is a shot in the dark prospect.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Howie, Warren is literally a below average prospect and might be a 4th liner in the future.   He is def not taking Couts spot...

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Also, Madsen probably wasn't going to sign here seeing the other goalies in our system

Exactly.Sandstrom and Hart will be the big dogs on the Phantoms after this year. Just no room for Madsen and if he wanted he doesn't even need to sign just wait till August 15th of next year and become a free agent.

Cousins needs a deal deal and is subject to waivers.

So really due to great drafting there is no room for those two which is sort of a good problem to have.

So Ron got something for them. I like it.

Sure i hate losing Madsen before they know what they have but their is a log jam in net after next year someone has to go.

But truth be told Stolie and Lyon better make the best of next year in the AHL it will be their last.

The one that plays the best will be retained to compete for a backup spot in the NHL after next year....the loser will be gone somehow....Sandstrom and Hart are right around the corner!!!

Seems like just jettisoning players that Hextall did not see as part of the future. 

The truth is, with Lindblom and the #2 overall having great chances of making the team, there's just no role for Cousins. He'd be plucked off waivers for sure. I honestly preferred him to Laughton, but it's a wash. Both are dime a dozen players. 

8 hours ago, fishbulb said:

A head-scratcher to say the least... not that I expected Cousins to ever amount to more than a bottom 6 forward.  Maybe just clearing room/cap for another deal.  Otherwise it just seems like we did Arizona a favor.

Could this be the *future considerations* part of the previous trade?

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

I honestly preferred him to Laughton, but it's a wash.

I don't i think Laughton will find a spot on the club this coming camp/preseason.

He has no choice. It will be his last chance i think.

Sure i'm a glass half full guy i'm rooting for the kid.

All he needs to do is play smart and let the plays come to him and not try and force to much.

He has the speed and size now he just needs to show it.

The time is now........or never. He is still relatively young just turned 23. Cousins was 23 too.

And in Warren's defense he only played in 35 games this past year due to not much room on Michigan's squad.

His role will expand this upcoming year.

But point production can't be his measure he will be use more in a defensive role as a shutdown forward.

Not meant to produce points more of a LW version of Coots.

So that has to weighted with all that in mind. He is a bottom 6 guy.

So will you take in mind all Cousin's was at best a bottom 6 guy it isn't a bad trade at all.

Cousin's was a 3rd round pick for a 3rd round pick in Warren (who is 3 years younger).

I'm ok with it.

Warren has two more years to play at Michigan we'll see then how he looks. But he is a role player.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And in Warren's defense he only played in 35 games this past year due to not much room on Michigan's squad.

Isn't 35 games pretty much an entire NCAA season?

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Isn't 35 games pretty much an entire NCAA season?

Yes.

But they were bounced in the BIG 10 tourney by Penn St. and that was the end of the season for them it is why there were so little games.

Whole team underachieved. But like i said it in't like he is a top forward so chance is he never even sees the NHL.

I think there is another shoe to drop soon i think the trade deadline is today at 3.

Archived