B. Schenn traded to Blues for J. Lehtera and a Conditional 1st in 2018

pilldoc

30 minutes ago, vis said:

Definitely.  The Flyers need scoring.  They do not need another defensive center.  They have Couturier.  They have Laughton/Vecchione to handle fourth line center duties.  They was no need for him.

Judging by his ice time, Lehtera didn't even kill penalties on the regular for the Blues.

His FO% is less than 50% last year.

Nothing about this is good.  $425k cap difference and one year less on his contract.  Big deal.  Trade into the first round, in a weak draft, for a prospect who wasn't even projected to be a first rounder.  Other pick is top 10 protected and it's pretty certain the Blues won't be picking in the top 10.  

What if they plan to trade Couturier too? G, Patrick, Lehtera, Laughton down the middle. 

Strange trade on the surface. 

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I feel like they traded Brayden Schenn 1.0 for Brayden Schenn 2.0, except that Lehtera does not put the puck in the net. I don't like this trade one bit. On top of that, correct me if I'm wrong. They only save $400,000 in cap space. Please Mr. Hextall, tell me there's another shoe to drop. 

So Hexy traded Schenn 1.0 for Schenn 2.0 and two 1st round picks so whats wrong with that? Like you said we also save cap space, not a lot but every little bit counts.

3 minutes ago, vis said:

Explain to me what Lehtera brings to the table.

Thanks for the report on Frost.  Can you explain why no one has him projected in the first round and seems like most, as I see now, had him as a late second or even third round player?  What kind of player does he project to be?  Goal scorer?  Playmaker?  Defensive forward?  What is his ceiling?

I don't think much of Lehtera, I think they had to do that it secure the 1st rounder next year. Having said that, Lehtera excelled playing with decent talent at times. He's still kinda sorta young. Sticking him on the 3rd line with Fippula would not be a bad 3rd line, depending on who you paired with them, it could have the potential to be a very nice scoring 3rd line. Lehtera has been down more than up, but there just may be some untapped offensive flair there.

As a 17 year old in the OHL last year, Frost had 20 goals and 42 assists in 67 games, playing on a respectable Greyhounds squad. He passes before shooting, but has nice hands also. Pretty fast, and makes some nice moves at top speed. A heart and soul type with offensivie upside and makes your team tougher to play against and in general, more skilled. 

1 minute ago, Philly29 said:

Why are you so caught up with Lehtera. The trade is about getting two 1st round picks as well as moving a player who was getting paid 5 mil a year to be an average does all things okay but nothing great type of player. Also he is as soft as ice cream....

Because Lehtera is on the roster for the next two years at $4.7m per year.  That's not insignificant.  What role does he fill on a team with Raffl, Read and Weise wasting cap space and Couturier, Laughton and Vecchionne slotted as defensive forwards to replace Bellmarre.  What benefit does Lehtera bring?

The first round picks may not ever amount to anything.  Especially when one was by most accounts and second round talent AT best.  In a weaker draft.

Schenn is 25 and still growing as a player.  This team lacks scoring.  He was one of the few who produced.

17 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

No, not saying getting two 1st rounders is a bad thing at all...........but then again, those two 1st rounders are just that, two 1st rounders. Haven't done anything yet and it is possible they don't pan out as well as some think.

Chances are, of course, that Patrick will, while most will take a 'wait n see' attitude on Frost, but when you get down right to it, and compare the player for player in Schenn and Lehtera, Schenn is the better player.

And no, I am not claiming Schenn is some sort of elite player and I don't believe I am overvaluing him.

But in this case, he is clearly the superior player to the one Philly got back.

And I have said on other threads that B.Schenn could play on the Lightning or Wild for me any time. I think he still has room to grow just a bit at age 25 and hasn't quite reached his full potential, such as it may be.

I think Schenn is a good player but as Jammer notes, his scoring is a PP heavy.  I don't think he elevates others' play. I'd say that might be part of the reason he kept being flipped from C to W. 

Lehtera may or may not stick.  About the only thing that comes to mind is that the O and B have decided to roll four lines meaning a Bellamare type is a thing of the past.  Lehtera was a Selke winner two years ago.  That says something. 

Just now, brelic said:

What if they plan to trade Couturier too? G, Patrick, Lehtera, Laughton down the middle. 

Strange trade on the surface. 

If there's another show that drops, then I'll re-evaluate.  

As of now, there isn't one.  So, I am reacting to what we know.

So we will have a lot of youth in the lineup:

Patrick (I think he makes it)

Konecny

Lindblom

Weal (re-signing looks good I think)

Vecchione

Defense has Ghost, Provorov, and maybe Morin, Sanheim or Myers, 2 of the 3.

Also, according to NHLnumbers, we have 11.466 in cap space.  Enough to sign a goalie like Miller, Bernier, Elliot, Lehner and maybe a goalie from Dallas in Lethonen or Niemi.  Don't know.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

He was one of the few who produced

Yeah only when it was a power play. Forgive me but 5mil a year I would expect a little more than that. Lehtera is gone in two years also.

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

In defense of Frost, once you get past the first 15 or so picks or so, the next 30 become a matter of preference as to how specific teams rank their boards imo.

futureconsiderations.ca: “A playmaking pivot who reads the game intelligently…calm and poised…agile on his skates and possesses excellent edge work, enabling him to cut in and out of defenders quickly to make plays…always looking for his best option…carries the puck with speed and is strong on the attack, dishing at the right time and right on the tape of his target before continuing on into the zone as a pass back option…smart with and without the puck.”

thehockeywriters.com: “The thing that stands out about Frost on tape and in person is how smart he is. He’s got a knack of seeing a play one to two steps ahead of everyone else. He can put the puck in places for his teammates to make plays. Even if a play doesn’t work, Frost is relentless and can force second and third chances by creating turnovers.”

No offense, but virtually every scouting report on these sites read as if the player has no weaknesses and is a guaranteed NHLer.  Remember Stefan Ruzicka?

1 minute ago, vis said:

Schenn is 25 and still growing as a player.  This team lacks scoring.  He was one of the few who produced.

I have been saying for a awhile. Having Schenn in the top 6 plays into the other teams hands. He is not quick, does not produce 5 on 5 and lacks vision. He's not elite in any way. He gets pts because of the top pp. I wanted him moved, actually thought he was going to be traded? Why, cause we have seen the best B.Schenn that you will get. Having Patrick, Frost, Konency, Vorachek, Simmonds....that is a NICE core to build around.

A thrid line of Weal, Leherta and Fippula will produce some nice points from the bottom 6.

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Lehtera was a Selke winner two years ago.  That says something. 

Uh, I'm not even sure he was a finalist for the Selke.  Ever.

4 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I have been saying for a awhile. Having Schenn in the top 6 plays into the other teams hands. He is not quick, does not produce 5 on 5 and lacks vision. He's not elite in any way. He gets pts because of the top pp. I wanted him moved, actually thought he was going to be traded? Why, cause we have seen the best B.Schenn that you will get. Having Patrick, Frost, Konency, Vorachek, Simmonds....that is a NICE core to build around.

A thrid line of Weal, Leherta and Fippula will produce some nice points from the bottom 6.

Possible Lindblom in their somewhere also.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Well, one of the good news items of the night is the Penguins just traded for Ryan Reaves, so they should be visiting the penalty box more often next season

And beating us physically.

What does it say when the reigning two time Stanley Cup champions are adding toughness and the Flyers, who haven't won a PO series since when, are trading it away?

7 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Yeah only when it was a power play. Forgive me but 5mil a year I would expect a little more than that. Lehtera is gone in two years also.

Right.  PP goals don't count.

Schenn could have been gone in three.  And is a few years younger than Lehtera.

The whole team couldn't score 5v5.

6 minutes ago, vis said:

No offense, but virtually every scouting report on these sites read as if the player has no weaknesses and is a guaranteed NHLer.  Remember Stefan Ruzicka?

of course, lol 

I thought Hextall was going to go with the pick of Isaac Ratcliffe (LW)  who wasn't chosen in the First round.

5 minutes ago, vis said:

What does it say when the reigning two time Stanley Cup champions are adding toughness and the Flyers, who haven't won a PO series since when, are trading it away?

Who did they trade away that was tough?

Just now, vis said:

I think (or am at least hoping) they trade/package Lehtera for a needed asset, goalie, scoring winger...whatever, but for right now I don't like the deal much at all. I have been a fan of most of Hexy's deals, namely when he shipped Streit off for Filpulla, but this one is an absolute head scratcher.

1 minute ago, Philly29 said:

Who did they trade away that was tough?

Schenn was one of the few who would actually throw his weight around.  And would fight, though rarely.

Who is "tougher" - Schenn or Lehtera?

1 minute ago, vis said:

Schenn was one of the few who would actually throw his weight around.  And would fight, though rarely.

Who is "tougher" - Schenn or Lehtera?

Schenn, by a country mile. I don't even think Lehtera hits much, a soft Euro type that gets by on skill.

Archived