LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/28/2017 at 7:56 PM, AJgoal said:

I've said this about Ratcliffe on other forums - if he were on a club like London or Windsor or Owen Sound, Ratcliffe would be over a point per game player and dare I say it, he would be a 40 to 50 goal scorer. The guy is gold. He's going to be a great player for the Flyers. Size, skating and hands are there. He could afford to be a little bit meaner, but right now, I'm content with him just taking the next step in his development. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1361896-flyers-nolan-patrick-is-fully-healthy-but-won-t-be-rushed-to-nhl

I'm wondering if maybe the Flyers send Nolan Patrick back to Brandon to play a full season and ensure that the groin/hernia issue is finally looked after. My gut says that they don't want to use him in a bottom six role and with Filppula there, maybe it makes sense to have Val fulfill his contract and then have an open spot for Patrick next year......

On 8/30/2017 at 4:03 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1361896-flyers-nolan-patrick-is-fully-healthy-but-won-t-be-rushed-to-nhl

I'm wondering if maybe the Flyers send Nolan Patrick back to Brandon to play a full season and ensure that the groin/hernia issue is finally looked after. My gut says that they don't want to use him in a bottom six role and with Filppula there, maybe it makes sense to have Val fulfill his contract and then have an open spot for Patrick next year......

http://www.tsn.ca/hextall-patrick-has-to-prove-it-to-make-team-1.843833

Hextall: Patrick has to 'prove it' to make team

Philadelphia Flyers general manager Ron Hextall says Nolan Patrick will have to earn his spot in order to be on the team's opening roster on Oct. 4.

Hextall told the Philadelphia Inquirer this week that Patrick, selected second overall in June's draft, is fully healthy ahead of training camp but will start on a level field with his fellow rookies.

“He’s got to do the same thing as all the other kids," Hextall said of Patrick making the team. "He’s got to come in and show us that he can help make us a better team and that it’s the right thing for us. It’s truly that simple.

"We’ve got numbers. We don’t have to have him. We’ve got other kids who can play and we have veterans, so we’re in a good position with him.”

Patrick may already be behind some of his fellow rookies after missing on-ice activities at the team's development camp due to his recovery from abdominal surgery and team skates later in July due to a facial infection.

The 18-year-old played in only 33 games in the WHL last season due to a misdiagnosed sports hernia, which led to him having a second abdominal surgery in late June. The Brandon Wheat Kings centre was also unable to appear in the WHL playoffs due to a leg injury. He's broken his collarbone twice and underwent the first sports hernia surgery last summer.

In the end, Patrick finished last season with 20 goals and 46 points on the season, well below his 41 goals and 102 points in 72 games the previous season. 

Hextall said he wouldn't be disappointed to see Patrick return to the Western Hockey League for another season to develop.

“Absolutely not. If he needs time, he needs time,” Hextall said. “We’re going to have Nolan Patrick for the next 10, 15 years, not one day or one month or two months. We’re looking at the next 15 years and what’s best for Nolan Patrick. If it’s best to go back to Brandon, then he’ll go back to Brandon. If it’s best to stay here, he’ll stay here.

“Again, he’s got to come in and prove it. I will not be disappointed if he doesn’t make our team. I don’t have any expectations on whether he will or he won’t. He’s got to come in and show us he makes us a better team.”

A large part of making the Flyers could have to do with Patrick simply staying healthy. He said before the draft he was hoping he got his injuries out of the way early in his playing career.

On 8/30/2017 at 6:03 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's possible. If he is fully healthy though, I doubt it will happen. The fact remains that Patrick is very very good. If it's true that he is 100% healthy, I have a hard time thinking he won't be in the line up to start the season. Hexy may not be giving away roster spots, but his line about making the team better works both ways, and I think Patrick definitely makes the team better.

As far as playing in the bottom six, I think the only way that happens is if the team rolls three lines pretty evenly anyway; otherwise, he's going to be the 2C this coming year. I also fully expect Fil to be playing his wing, so that he has a solid two-way player with him who can take some of the faceoffs, especially on their opposite strong sides.

In short, if I'm betting, we'll see Patrick as the 2C with Fil on his left and Simmonds on his right to start the season.

Patrick is unique in that he was undersold in many ways due to last year's injuries. This was a gift to the Flyers. He could easily have been the consensus no.1 pick otherwise. I think he will prove himself to be ready and willing for that 2C line starting this year, and he'll get it.

Obviously, much of this is projection at this point. I could be wrong. I do like being right though. :P

33 minutes ago, elmatus said:

It's possible. If he is fully healthy though, I doubt it will happen. The fact remains that Patrick is very very good. If it's true that he is 100% healthy, I have a hard time thinking he won't be in the line up to start the season. Hexy may not be giving away roster spots, but his line about making the team better works both ways, and I think Patrick definitely makes the team better.

As far as playing in the bottom six, I think the only way that happens is if the team rolls three lines pretty evenly anyway; otherwise, he's going to be the 2C this coming year. I also fully expect Fil to be playing his wing, so that he has a solid two-way player with him who can take some of the faceoffs, especially on their opposite strong sides.

In short, if I'm betting, we'll see Patrick as the 2C with Fil on his left and Simmonds on his right to start the season.

Patrick is unique in that he was undersold in many ways due to last year's injuries. This was a gift to the Flyers. He could easily have been the consensus no.1 pick otherwise. I think he will prove himself to be ready and willing for that 2C line starting this year, and he'll get it.

Obviously, much of this is projection at this point. I could be wrong. I do like being right though. :P

He will also bring some much needed size (6-2 200) to the lineup as well. 

And i would have to say he still has some growing to do and could top out at about 6-4 215 when it is said and done.

For his age he is pretty hard to knock off the puck.

Now let's see if he can do that against men.

17 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Thanks for sharing AJ.

I'm pulling for the kid but man the competition has gotten really stacked against him.

He will have to fight and claw his way into an entry level deal for Hextall....and honestly that will be the best thing for development.

I think he'll get it done.

On 01/09/2017 at 6:07 AM, elmatus said:

Patrick is unique in that he was undersold in many ways due to last year's injuries. This was a gift to the Flyers.

I disagree. Concerns over his injury history are real IMO. To not have concern is to be irresponsible IMO. So, he "fell" to #2 because he deserved to fall (arguably he maybe shoulda fell further IMO). 

To me, he has to prove that he's not one of those guys who just always seems to get injured (Beau Bennett says "hi!"). It's unfair, but it's reality.

25 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Concerns over his injury history are real IMO.

I don't agree.

I have played baseball, football and basketball (it is how i tore my ACL) never hockey but please do tell on how any player regardless the sport can train and prevent a broken collarbone.

Or a hernia???

So no i am not worried about his injury history. That can happen to any player at any time in this rough sport.

Now soft tissue injury like hamstring (for example) issues sure i can see as a worry.

But those too can be prevent or the occurrence reduced from proper training and stretching/therapy during down time. Along with preventing from over training.

And to add to it hard to blame a player for the doctor's mis diagnosing and issue which prolonged his supposed injury history that too could happen to any player (i'm looking at you Lindros). Which was the reason for Patrick groin issue the hernia was not fixed properly because the second hernia was missed.

Hardly the players fault.

So count me as not concerned.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I don't agree.

I have played baseball, football and basketball (it is how i tore my ACL) never hockey but please do tell on how any player regardless the sport can train and prevent a broken collarbone.

Or a hernia???

So no i am not worried about his injury history. That can happen to any player at any time in this rough sport.

Now soft tissue injury like hamstring (for example) issues sure i can see as a worry.

But those too can be prevent or the occurrence reduced from proper training and stretching/therapy during down time. Along with preventing from over training.

And to add to it hard to blame a player for the doctor's mis diagnosing and issue which prolonged his supposed injury history that too could happen to any player (i'm looking at you Lindros). Which was the reason for Patrick groin issue the hernia was not fixed properly because the second hernia was missed.

Hardly the players fault.

So count me as not concerned.

Hey, fair enough. I'm categorically not saying it's the players fault. I'm saying that some players have bad luck injury wise. and I hope he's not one of them. I fear it, even if it is a little irrational maybe. Doesn't change the fear. 

Just now, Podein25 said:

I'm saying that some players have bad luck injury wise.

I understand but we aren't going to hold Coots getting mono against him and say he is always susceptible to getting sick are we?? Then i just don't think it is fair to Patrick either is all.

In fact like the mono issue with Patrick's "injury concerns" is what helped him fall into their laps.

Because without the lingering hernia issue i think he blows the points production he would of had out the water making him the obvious choice for the Devils....then the Flyers would have Nico...which once again wouldn't have been a bad consolation prize.

My hope is that the injury in the long run will have helped the Flyers to have gotten the better player. We'll see in 10 years!

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

we aren't going to hold Coots getting mono against him and say he is always susceptible to getting sick are we?? Then i just don't think it is fair to Patrick either is all.

Of course not. The only thing to hold against Coots is his seeming lack of interest in improving his skating/foot speed.

Besides, they are not the same thing. Mono is a communicable disease and not at all the same as a hockey injury. In fact, it's not a hockey injury!

I already said that it was unfair. It doesn't change the facts. He has an injury history, albeit brief a one, a small sample even. But I'm concerned that this history may continue, especially when he starts playing against men. 

I take back my statement that it might be irrational. It's not, it's entirely rational to care about it.

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I take back my statement that it might be irrational. It's not, it's entirely rational to care about it.

And i stand by my opinion that i don't agree and am not worried about it. Cheers!

:beer:

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i stand by my opinion that i don't agree and am not worried about it. Cheers!

:beer:

Cheers back at you. Naturally, I hope you are right. I am looking forward to seeing Patrick play. I do like his skillset and size. With him Konecny, and the rest coming up, it's exciting times to be sure. Hoping Lindblom not only makes the team but shines. I've always thought that pick was fantastic (5th round!) and patience would be rewarded. 

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I disagree. Concerns over his injury history are real IMO. To not have concern is to be irresponsible IMO. So, he "fell" to #2 because he deserved to fall (arguably he maybe shoulda fell further IMO). 

To me, he has to prove that he's not one of those guys who just always seems to get injured (Beau Bennett says "hi!"). It's unfair, but it's reality.

I understand what you're saying. You're not wrong. Of course, the same could be said of a bunch of incoming players. The difference with Patrick is that his injury history has been widely publicized. It was so widely publicized precisely because he's a remarkably talented player who likely would have been 1st overall if it weren't for his injury woes this past season.

Granted, you're right in that he needs to stay healthy for all of that to matter in the long run. What I'm saying is he has enough potential to be an elite force. That's not something we would have had with a 12 overall or whatever our original slot was. The difference between him and the rest of the field -- minus Hischier -- was enough that no serious watcher was pegging him any lower than 2nd, and that's despite the injury season. Sure, we might have had a decent player at 12, or we might not have. I'll take the potential elite guy over the 12th pick who should make an NHL roster at some point if he shapes up properly.

The only comparison really worth making this year will be Patrick vs Hischier. Personally, I think Patrick has qualities that are generally harder to find and more important for winning games than Hischier does.

Of course, I could be wrong, which is why I said as much in the post you quoted.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Cheers back at you. Naturally, I hope you are right. I am looking forward to seeing Patrick play. I do like his skillset and size. With him Konecny, and the rest coming up, it's exciting times to be sure. Hoping Lindblom not only makes the team but shines. I've always thought that pick was fantastic (5th round!) and patience would be rewarded. 

Yes this Flyer lineup can use two forwards who are 6-2 200 and growing...

...then you throw in a 6-2 Hagg and 6-7 Morin and this club will be much harder to play against and push around!

#excitedforthefuture

:cheers:

18 minutes ago, elmatus said:

The difference with Patrick is that his injury history has been widely publicized. It was so widely publicized precisely because he's a remarkably talented player who likely would have been 1st overall if it weren't for his injury woes this past season.

Not arguing the points made but this happens in every sport to all the top talent.

Clubs come in poke and prod them like cattle looking for everything that could go wrong most of it is concern and a lot of it is a smoke screen to try as best as they can to scare others away to try and devalue a prospect so they fall to them.

It is a war plan many use.

Some legit concerns some with ulterior motives.

We will know soon whuch this was.....

For those who care:

Hockey season is coming, and the Philadelphia Flyers are celebrating! The club is waiving all ticketing fees for October and November games when individual game tickets for all 2017-18 regular season home games go on sale this Wednesday, September 13 at 11 a.m.

cut.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/single-game-tickets-on-sale-september-13--philadelphia-flyers/c-290869178

Fans can also gain access to a special fees-free pre-sale on Tuesday, September 12 by joining the club's FlyerWire email list HERE.

Looks like the Flyers signed the Kitchener Rangers overage Captain from last year. Hora will be trying to secure one of the few open spots on the Phantoms defense. Guess he can skate ok, is physical....don't remember seeing him last year for Spits games, and I went to two Ranger games. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=190654

By signed, I meant PTO of course. 

Archived