Sabres make trade and Pommer comes home

Buffalo Rick

The Sabres have sent Marcus Foligno and Tyler Ennis to Minnesota for long time Sabre Jason Pommenville, a fan favorite along with Scandella and a 3rd round pick.  In my book the best 3 penalty killers in Buffalo history, are in order.  Craig Ramsey, Jason Pommenville and Micheal Peca

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not a huge trade I guess...not sure why the Sabres want 34 year old Pominville though

Buffalo is getting a very good defenseman in Marco Scandella.

Not elite mind you, but very solid.....if he can stay healthy.

I think he, not Pominville was the main attraction here for Buffalo.

The Wild probably had to talk Pominville into waiving his no trade by assuring him he will be going to a place he succeeded in before....and the Sabres had to agree to take him off the Wild's hands in exchange for the disappointing Tyler Ennis (at least to this point)

Buffalo gets the defense upgraded, Minny saves, all totaled about 5 mil in cap room, plus the Wild upgrade their 4th round pick for Buffalo's 3rd....with MAYBE Ennis figuring things out working with more established forwards such as the ones playing in St. Paul.

Foligno is just a big bottom six body thrown in there by the Sabres it looks like.

Not a bombshell of a trade, but could be a significant one nonetheless if Minnesota can parlay that cap room into a productive player (two of their young core need new deals too!) and Scandella helps the Sabres' defense be more stable and reliable.

Also, to be fair to Pommer, maybe this somehow helps revitalize his career a bit.

He may see some ice time with Eichel and that could help.

I never really disliked Pominville, but after the first two seasons, I just got tired of waiting for him to get on one of his good streaks...and apparently, Minnesota management felt the same.

I will, however, miss Marco Scandella.

He and Jared Spurgeon were like peanut butter n jelly...now Spurge is gonna have to break in a new regular partner with the Wild.

Here ya go, @Hockey Junkie

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-sabres-better-after-wild-deal-1.793417

This is a good read and does a very nice job of breaking down the trade.

And I agree with the author: Buffalo's D is upgraded in the end...and not just because of this deal alone.

Remember they also picked up Nathan Bealieu as well from the Habs.

26 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And I agree with the author: Buffalo's D is upgraded in the end...and not just because of this deal alone.

About to read

29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What they do not seem to realize is that Jason Pommenville is an excellant penalty killer.  He is one of the best along with your boy Hedman who I consider one of the best at that also.  Pommenville is highly skilled and smart at killing off penalties.  If he can kill more time with the puck he will rather than panic and just ice it

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What they do not seem to realize is that Jason Pommenville is an excellant penalty killer.  He is one of the best along with your boy Hedman who I consider one of the best at that also.  Pommenville is highly skilled and smart at killing off penalties.  If he can kill more time with the puck he will rather than panic and just ice it

Not sure who you mean by "they", but if you mean GM's, well, they are highly paid professionals.

Unless their name is Paul Holgren, Mike Milbury, Brian Lawton, or Garth Snow, I am quite sure "they" realize what Pomminville is capable of.

Besides, Buffalo is all about addressing the defense, they've done that a bit...and Pominville really doesn't figure into that part of the equation.

A good PK'er, surely helps 'defensively', when the team is short handed, but you can get a PK'er that doesn't carry around a 5M price tag.

Now Buffalo needs to address the lack of consistent offense. Pominville COULD play a factor in that.

But make no mistake my friend, this trade was about getting the established vet Scandella, his good point shot, his physical play, and a possible top pairing partner for Rasmus Ristolainen than it was about Pomminville and his PK skills.

IMHO the best two players involved were Scandella and Pominville. Foligno is a perennial disappointment, they toss him out there up and down the lines and he has more or less been a non factor. He does hit a bit but doesnt score and his defense is not good enough to play a checking game. Ennis had the one good year and has been hanging around forever since not doing anything. I frankly would not want either one, a couple of flawed wingers who are never going to get better.

Scandella had an off year last year offensively but is sound in his own zone. With the additions of Antipin, Beaulieu and now Scandella the Sabres have rebuilt their defense on the fly. I could easily see Scandellla paired with the reckless offensive force Ristolainen allowing him to roam knowing Scandella has his back. As for Pominville, he has certainly slipped but even now is better offensively than either Foligno or Ennis ever will be.  What it does is it takes the Sabres out of the Shattenkirk sweepstakes the way it looks Shatty is almost certain to go to New Jersey at this point.

The clear advantage for the Wild is they saved five million against the cap and while yes, Pominville and Scandella are nice pieces both are easily replaced and the Wild are primed to make a move, although I am not certain what the move is. Rumors are the Wild have something bigger in the works.

4 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I agree with TFG. I think Scandella was the key player the Sabres wanted and Minny just thru Pominville in to dump some salary and  make @Hockey Junkie happy since he will never get his Miller back.:VeryCool:

Absolutely. The Sabres wanted Scandella, and taking Pominville and his ridiculous contract was just the cost of doing business. 

Pominville can still put up some points. So the Sabres do okay here (as opposed to the Wild who want to win now and can't afford the anchor). 

I wonder also if we should suspect something about Okposo's prognosis. 

I, of course, don't know for sure, but I look at this way:

Minnesota made a side deal with Vegas so that 

A) They wouldn't take Mat Dumba, which they still like to be something in the NHL

B) Not take Scandella, because he is a very useful defensive piece.

By hanging onto Scandella, the Wild, knowing there is a market for he and his skillset, looked around for a way to move him (again, rumor was a defenseman needed to get moved to create space for new deals to both Mikael Granlund and Nino Niedderreiter) while at the same time trying to get out from under Pomminville's contract, which they DON'T like at this stage.

Buffalo was willing to make the deal for Scandella and exchange Pommer's bad contract with Ennis', and voila...two teams accomplished what they wanted.

All speculation on my part, granted.

The thinking could have been way different.

But Minny had been making small signings on defense, such as signing Olaf Gustafsson and could now possible sign Christian Folin who is like a Scandella-lite, likely with the idea that Scandella WOULD be moved.

But yea, if Minny is to once again have a solid defensive core, not only do players like Dumba and Folin (if re-signed) have to step up, but maybe some other deal gets made to bring in solid vet.

Buffalo made out well here though, no matter how you slice it.

With the wheelin n dealin the Sabres did on defense, the team, today, is better than it was when the season ended last year.

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Absolutely. The Sabres wanted Scandella, and taking Pominville and his ridiculous contract was just the cost of doing business. 

Pominville can still put up some points. So the Sabres do okay here (as opposed to the Wild who want to win now and can't afford the anchor). 

I wonder also if we should suspect something about Okposo's prognosis. 

You guys do not seem to respect Jason but his biggest contribution is his ability to kill penalties.  A lost art.  He is one of the best

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You guys do not seem to respect Jason but his biggest contribution is his ability to kill penalties.  A lost art.  He is one of the best

You may actually have the worst reading comprehension among adults that I know. It's stunning. 

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not sure who you mean by "they", but if you mean GM's, well, they are highly paid professionals.

Unless their name is Paul Holgren, Mike Milbury, Brian Lawton, or Garth Snow, I am quite sure "they" realize what Pomminville is capable of.

Besides, Buffalo is all about addressing the defense, they've done that a bit...and Pominville really doesn't figure into that part of the equation.

A good PK'er, surely helps 'defensively', when the team is short handed, but you can get a PK'er that doesn't carry around a 5M price tag.

Now Buffalo needs to address the lack of consistent offense. Pominville COULD play a factor in that.

But make no mistake my friend, this trade was about getting the established vet Scandella, his good point shot, his physical play, and a possible top pairing partner for Rasmus Ristolainen than it was about Pomminville and his PK skills.

So you think the D got better in a defensive way and not in an offensive way?  I mean, these are not the Karrlson type defensemen?  Risto is  A great assist guy.  And he can put the puck in.  Pommenville never gets enough credit as a penalty killer by those outside of Buffalo.  I think Milbury actually has said it before

31 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So good, in fact, that he didn't play on the pk all that much in Minnesota. 54 sec/game. 

I wasn't being insulting with my post. To get the defenseman they wanted, they had to take Jason and his salary.  He had 40ish points last year. He's not worth his salary, but he'll contribute and is not a horrible "throw in."  And even with the truck they'll have to back up for Eichel (I'm guessing $10/yr. for 8 years given McDavid's $13M and that Eichel is not at McDavid's level) they'll have enough room for Jason yet next year. 

In the meantime, the Wild get to clear up cap room to maybe get someone worth the money. 

36 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So you think the D got better in a defensive way and not in an offensive way?  I mean, these are not the Karrlson type defensemen?  Risto is  A great assist guy.  And he can put the puck in.  Pommenville never gets enough credit as a penalty killer by those outside of Buffalo.  I think Milbury actually has said it before

The way you keep talking about Pommenville's penalty killing, it's almost as if you hope the Sabres play shorthand a lot next season.

29 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The defense got better ALL around. The primary job of defensemen is to play, you know, actual defense. The group in place for Buffalo now is better suited for that than the one that finished last season. And I will even include Begosian as part of the positives on Buffalo's blue line.

If said defensemen have offensive capabilities, then great. That adds to their effectiveness. But the Sabres GM was CLEARLY, and rightfully so, looking to upgrade ways to cut down chances against the goaltender. 

32 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Pominville is a good PK'er, we get it...and that helps the defense, but again, good PK'ers don't NEED to be costing 5M....Pominville's greatest contribution to the team would be if he could start scoring again, even if it doesn't match his prime year numbers, but at least a lower output at a more consistent pace.

I think many know what a good job Pommer does on the PK, but it is a nice side effect of his play and NOT his primary purpose. He makes 5 million freakin dollars a year...he should be putting pucks in nets or setting up teammates on a consistent basis to do that as well. Bottom line.

36 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Don't ever, EVER quote Mike Milbury or hang your argument on anything he says!!

Sometimes, your hockey fan credibility card, HJ, hangs by a thread......start quoting or following Mike The Shoe Milbury too closely, and you could have it revoked for life!! :bigteeth:

Mike Milbury:  Fun as commentary target practice, good for entertainment purposes, BAD for the advent of hockey know how and logic.....remember that my friend, and you will always have a seat at the HF.net round table. ;)

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The defense got better ALL around. The primary job of defensemen is to play, you know, actual defense. The group in place for Buffalo now is better suited for that than the one that finished last season. And I will even include Begosian as part of the positives on Buffalo's blue line.

If said defensemen have offensive capabilities, then great. That adds to their effectiveness. But the Sabres GM was CLEARLY, and rightfully so, looking to upgrade ways to cut down chances against the goaltender. 

Pominville is a good PK'er, we get it...and that helps the defense, but again, good PK'ers don't NEED to be costing 5M....Pominville's greatest contribution to the team would be if he could start scoring again, even if it doesn't match his prime year numbers, but at least a lower output at a more consistent pace.

I think many know what a good job Pommer does on the PK, but it is a nice side effect of his play and NOT his primary purpose. He makes 5 million freakin dollars a year...he should be putting pucks in nets or setting up teammates on a consistent basis to do that as well. Bottom line.

Don't ever, EVER quote Mike Milbury or hang your argument on anything he says!!

Sometimes, your hockey fan credibility card, HJ, hangs by a thread......start quoting or following Mike The Shoe Milbury too closely, and you could have it revoked for life!! :bigteeth:

Mike Milbury:  Fun as commentary target practice, good for entertainment purposes, BAD for the advent of hockey know how and logic.....remember that my friend, and you will always have a seat at the HF.net round table. ;)

Your posts are always very good and well thought out.  I respect that.  Milbury is no genius.  Speaking of announcers, Gary Thorne who is now the voice of my Orioles, was one heck of a good hockey announcer.  I thought him and Clement were a good team.  But back to Pommer.  Isn't it strange he is still going strong and Derrick Roy is finished?  I mean, they roomed together in Rochester and they came in together and I am sure are still close.  Pommenville surely was a goal scorer during our run and our 3 Eastern conference final appearances.  I know in situations, he can put the puck in still.  I would use him second team PP, and first team kill.  He still has gas left in the tank.  I am not as familiar with the two new D men.  Begosian is a tough guy and can clear out the crease if  he is coached correctly.  And coaching he needs IMO.  So who do you see landing Jagr?  Is he worth another year?  How good will Florida be?  I expect Columbus to be very good again and I expect the Rangers to perhaps have a tough year. I believe the Sabres can be the best team in NY State.  The Leafs likely will take another step forward but I would not expect it to be a leap.  Lets Go Buff a Lo!!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived